ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Be wary of lasers  (Read 15611 times)

Fernando Lopez

Re: Be wary of lasers
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 09:20:46 PM »

So i was right then ;)

Not really, personal opinion, IIIA and 3R you can use to point at people as long as the beams keep moving, what is dangerous is to leave it pointed at someones eye for a period of time

Just read as how they refer to IIIb and above

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 10:17:51 AM »

Am i right in thinking your not aloud a crowd scan in the states ?

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 10:24:03 AM »

Am i right in thinking your not allowed a crowd scan in the states ?

I have exchanged emails with the owner of a laser company in the states and I asked him to recommedn me a laser that I can point at my crowds and he suggested a type IIIA laser, with the corresponding small letters regarding that the FDA states that I posted previously

In my personal case I do not work in the States, but I still follow those rules to protect the eyes of the people at my gigs where I rent or where I play.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »

Right to my point, people know knives are sharp, but do they know what type of lasers are safe and what type are not?

IIIA
IIB
3R

Which of these are safe?

all of them if used correctly and none of them if incorrectly

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 12:06:14 PM »

lol good answer Mr Pence ;)

Chris Gruber

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2011, 12:21:53 AM »

Generally a quality laser will have PPS(points per second) rating of more than 20,000. At that speed the beam doesn't stay in one spot long enough to cause any damage. Combine the fast laser and the human blink response and eye problems won't be an issue.

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 08:40:13 PM »

Generally a quality laser will have PPS(points per second) rating of more than 20,000. At that speed the beam doesn't stay in one spot long enough to cause any damage. Combine the fast laser and the human blink response and eye problems won't be an issue.
This is completely and thoroughly bull-shit! The safety of audience-scanning is ascertained by using a rather complex formula that takes a number of different factors into account. Computing the safety of audience-scanning is not a simple manner and your advise here could lead to someone being permanently injured!!! You might as well be advising that people hang heavy speakers over the audience using bungie cords >:(

And even if you are careful to use a low enough wattage, carefully plot every aspect of your show in a given venue, and follow every guideline regarding audience-scanning, should your scanners (or whatever is creating movement of the laser beam) lock up while the laser is scanning the crowd, then the potential for permanent eye damage is great. Similar to randomly throwing sharp knives into the audience. And should your laser system be unattended or not be equipped with the proper shut-off switches, then it might be throwing those sharp knives into the crowd for a long time.

Those that want to learn more about lasers and laser safety should visit one of the excellent discussion boards. http://www.photonlexicon.com is a good one to start with.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2011, 01:46:33 AM »

This is completely and thoroughly bull-shit! The safety of audience-scanning is ascertained by using a rather complex formula that takes a number of different factors into account. Computing the safety of audience-scanning is not a simple manner and your advise here could lead to someone being permanently injured!!! You might as well be advising that people hang heavy speakers over the audience using bungie cords >:(

And even if you are careful to use a low enough wattage, carefully plot every aspect of your show in a given venue, and follow every guideline regarding audience-scanning, should your scanners (or whatever is creating movement of the laser beam) lock up while the laser is scanning the crowd, then the potential for permanent eye damage is great. Similar to randomly throwing sharp knives into the audience. And should your laser system be unattended or not be equipped with the proper shut-off switches, then it might be throwing those sharp knives into the crowd for a long time.

Those that want to learn more about lasers and laser safety should visit one of the excellent discussion boards. http://www.photonlexicon.com is a good one to start with.

Wow Pascal, way to be nice about it. All you had to say was I disagree. I never said anything about hanging speakers, but maybe you shouldn't either.

Pascal.Pincosy

• SR Forums
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2011, 02:39:29 PM »

Wow Pascal, way to be nice about it. All you had to say was I disagree. I never said anything about hanging speakers, but maybe you shouldn't either.
Hi Chris. You suggested that it's safe to do something that is in fact very dangerous. Sorry I didn't coddle you while making sure that it was well understood by everyone who ever reads this forum that what you suggested was not safe and could cause permanent blindness.

ps thanks for the nice PM. I'll be sure to get right on that.

Chris Gruber

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »

Hi Chris. You suggested that it's safe to do something that is in fact very dangerous. Sorry I didn't coddle you while making sure that it was well understood by everyone who ever reads this forum that what you suggested was not safe and could cause permanent blindness.

ps thanks for the nice PM. I'll be sure to get right on that.

My info was obviously wrong. I don't need to be coddled but you didn't have to be a jerk about it. Lots of people post info that's not safe on here and nobody else blasts them for it. Your welcome. Enjoy!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2011, 10:21:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 25 queries.