ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Be wary of lasers  (Read 15606 times)

Fernando Lopez

Be wary of lasers
« on: March 05, 2011, 12:49:50 PM »

So I was at a local DJ Store and the guy offered me a new chinese laserthey just got

He shoots some fog in the store and tells me to stand in front of it to see the full effect

I agreed (stupid of me) and as soon as he turned it on got out of the way

Than I asked him to point it at the speker next to the laser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZlj_j6oZQQ

So be very careful!! only you can know about laser reesponsability not the guy at the DJ Store

Stay Safe!!!

David Elsbury

• Computer says no...
Re: Be wary of lasers
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 05:10:48 PM »

So what's your point? If the laser is half decent, it would have a label stating the minimum distance between the source and the nearest object.
Even if it doesn't, why would anyone in their right mind point it at anything at a range of a metre or less? (what the video looks like at least)

And why, when you see it burning/melting the speaker, why would you leave it running for over 10 seconds? 0.o

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 05:32:44 PM »

So what's your point? If the laser is half decent, it would have a label stating the minimum distance between the source and the nearest object.
Even if it doesn't, why would anyone in their right mind point it at anything at a range of a metre or less? (what the video looks like at least)

And why, when you see it burning/melting the speaker, why would you leave it running for over 10 seconds? 0.o

my point is that DJs are buying unsafe lasers and pointing them at people's eyes and these things are dangerous

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:43:15 PM »

my point is that DJs are buying unsafe lasers and pointing them at people's eyes and these things are dangerous
As if killing the ears wasn't enough-now they are going for the eyes HA-HA 

Sorry couldn't resist-what's next-smell/taste?
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »

Knives are sharp

shouldnt this be in the lighting forum, anyway?  In 11 years of doing dj systems, I have never had to do anything more than provide power for a laser.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 03:38:59 PM by Randy Pence »

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:45:07 PM »

Theres some very strict laser regs coming into the UK very soon.... be a shame as at the moment we get ''away'' with quite alot ...

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 07:59:41 PM »

Knives are sharp

shouldnt this be in the lighting forum, anyway?  In 11 years of doing dj systems, I have never had to do anything more than provide power for a laser.

Right to my point, people know knives are sharp, but do they know what type of lasers are safe and what type are not?

IIIA
IIB
3R

Which of these are safe?

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 08:48:59 PM »

None of them

Fernando Lopez

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

None of them

Are Class IIIa laser pointers dangerous?
Class IIIa or IEC Class 3R lasers can be dangerous. Class IIIa lasers can cause temporary visual effects such as flash blinding, which could distract or startle the person exposed. The risk of injury is very small when Class IIIa pointers are used responsibly because natural body motion of a person holding the pointer or motion of a person who might be exposed makes it difficult to expose the eyes for a long period of time. People also have a natural aversion to bright lights and are likely to close their eyes and turn their heads if exposed.

What are class IIIb lasers and are they dangerous?
Lasers that emit between 5mW and 500mW output power are in Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B. Class IIIb lasers cannot legally be promoted as laser pointers or demonstration laser products. Product labels and user instructions must describe the hazard classification of the product and its output characteristics.
 With any laser product, the potential for injury depends both on the product itself and how the product is used. Higher powered Class IIIb or IEC Class 3B lasers are dangerous and can cause either temporary visual effects or an eye injury.

People who operate Class IIIb portable laser systems should be familiar with the above ANSI standards for safe use of lasers. This ANSI series of standards includes specific information for the safe use of such laser products in their applications of use.

This is from the FDA

My point is IIIB lasers are easily avalaible to DJs and are being pointed at dance crowds

This is the link:
http://www.fda.gov/Radiation-EmittingProducts/RadiationEmittingProductsandProcedures/HomeBusinessandEntertainment/LaserProductsandInstruments/ucm116373.htm

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »

So i was right then ;)

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.