ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey sub static  (Read 13248 times)

Tony Martin

Re: Peavey sub static-Find the real problem
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2007, 11:07:52 AM »

Whit: Thanks for the reply.
I agree with all of what was pointed out by the various members who have posted to this thread.
But over the years I have also learned that sometimes we look for the tough answers when the solution is actually something easy.
I'm, sure at some point in all our lives we've had a problem which we've immediately started dissecting, looking at wiring, or component failure, only to find someone had turned down the input gain on the amps or had switched off the power on the crossover, or something equally silly and simple.
I simply addressed those "simple" things which had not been touched on here in the hopes (for the Op's sake) that the solution may be something quick, easy and cheap which had been previously overlooked.
Owning an expensive hammer does not make you a carpenter

Douglas R. Allen

• http://-
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 07:20:50 PM »

Tony Martin wrote on Sat, 20 October 2007 11:07

Whit: Thanks for the reply.
I agree with all of what was pointed out by the various members who have posted to this thread.
But over the years I have also learned that sometimes we look for the tough answers when the solution is actually something easy.
I'm, sure at some point in all our lives we've had a problem which we've immediately started dissecting, looking at wiring, or component failure, only to find someone had turned down the input gain on the amps or had switched off the power on the crossover, or something equally silly and simple.
I simply addressed those "simple" things which had not been touched on here in the hopes (for the Op's sake) that the solution may be something quick, easy and cheap which had been previously overlooked.

When you played your sub at a low level did you hear this crackle sound? Why I say this is because it doesn't take much of a rub to sound bad. Many times I have just marked the "magnet bolt hole to speaker basket" alignment with a marker. Removed the bolts and turned the magnet 1/3rd a turn and put the bolts back in and the rubbing sound stopped. Some times you can spin the magnet and find one spot that doesn't rub. The voice coils get pretty hot and may cool down somewhat egg shaped to a small degree. Also there is a very small left to right and up to down play in these. Sometimes you can just push the magnet to the Left or Right or up and down while tighten the bolts and stop this rubbing. When you just set the magnet on the basket reach under and GENTLY push on the cone. If you hear any rubbing give the magnet a 1/3 of a turn and try again. I had one stubborn speaker that I ended up only using 2 bolts because with 3 it rubbed no mater what I did. The person I sold it to says its still working fine 9 years later. Play around with it. You may have a good speaker basket. Or at the very least a good spare.

Kindest Regards
Douglas R. Allen
Allen Audio

"The worst thing is."
"You can't teach common sense."

Scott Shaw

• http://www.myspace.com/scotts63
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »

Check the foam filter on the magnet to make sure it hasn't deteriorated and fallen into the gap. It has a tendency to dry rot over time. If it did, You'll find a black goo in the gap, on the coil, and behind the dust cover. Another thing to check is the spyder. Sometimes a section will work loose and cause a crackling sound. Super glue and a few clamps will fix that.

Scott

Kevin wiacek

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2009, 06:49:16 PM »

I've done the same exact thing, I've blow mine twice now (sp118x-8ohm).......except I put around 1000 watts threw each, I also tried running them at 800 watts each......Now I run them with the same amp you have but one sub per Chanel 500 watts each and its perfect. Peavey has a really screwed up way of rating their speakers, what they told me to do for thees subs was to run 450-550 watts into them and to a 40 hertz roll off.

So running them at 500wats(QSC 2450 one sub per channel) with a 40 hertz roll off works mint.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 19 queries.