ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: MADE IN THE USA - how do you know?  (Read 12625 times)

Rain Jaudon

Re: MADE IN THE USA - how do you know?
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2009, 12:46:26 am »

I can't be the first guy to run into this on a Govt. install...
Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Tim Padrick

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 02:21:43 am »

Consult with your attorney.   It seems to me that since this requirement was not part of the original specs/bid/contract, you would be within your rights to cancel the contract.  They'll sure as hell consider you to be in breech if you have any offshore gear in the rig.  It might be the best to walk on this one.

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2009, 07:44:21 am »

Hal Bissinger/COMSYSTEC wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 22:37

Crown and JBL are also made in China.

I applaud your customer's initiative but they are about 20 years too late. I don't want anything that has been made in China either but it's fighting a losing battle these days. Perhaps hopefully in a few years that will change due to the new administration and the negative reputation of Chinese goods.

-Hal

According to the dealer price sheet the Country of Origin on the AC series is indeed the USA.

JBL is spread between China, Mexico, and the US apparently.

I'd be really surprised if the A&H is made here seeing as they are a British company.
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2009, 07:59:19 am »

I know the Biamp Nexia is made in the USA.  Beyound that-I cannot say.  But I would be pretty sure some of the components inside were made overseas.

I guess the real question is what does "Made in the USA" really mean?  ALL of it?  A certain percentage-and how do you count percentage-cost-number of parts-physical size of parts?  Company ownership in the USA and so forth.

That is a very vague statement.

I have not run into this-yet.  It is a GREAT idea-but is going to be very hard to enforce.  If they REALLY want to enforce it-THEY need to supply a list of acceptable equipment-NOT you.

You need to get clarification of the exact meaning-BEFORE you get yourself into trouble by non compliance.

And then let the next guy deal with it.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2009, 10:06:07 am »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 22:45

This customer is the US Government.  

Far be it for me to be critical of our administration,  Laughing  but this kind of behavior is exactly like what happened in the  '30s which triggered protectionism and trade wars.

We already have push back from NAFTA partners (Canada and Mexico) over buy American clauses in stimulus bill and taking Mexican trucks off US roads ( payback to US unions).

The only thing they will accomplish from this exercise is more pain and suffering. For you in extra paperwork, and for all of us as our products get boycotted around the world, ultimately costing more jobs. This will hurt the global recovery which depends on more not less international trade.

Canada is playing games with retaliating against meat and tobacco products, Mexico increased tariffs 10-45% on billions of dollars worth of their US imports.

These folks in Washington have no respect for the lessons of history. While in fairness Obama did campaign against NAFTA.  

What do they think the outcome of this will be? Maybe this is Chicago rules for economic theory too.

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2009, 10:14:02 am »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Wed, 24 June 2009 23:46

I can't be the first guy to run into this on a Govt. install...

This is probably related to the stimulus bill which they have spent less than 10% of the money so this is not an old and well established policy, just recent misguided congressional wishful thinking.

I suspect the big box houses quoted prices anticipating this extra BS.

JR

-----

Kevin Gring(Crown)

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2009, 10:32:24 am »

Hal,
Just a little clarification, the XTi series amplifiers are built here in Elkhart, Indiana.
Kevin B Gring
Application Support Engineer
Crown International
kgring@crownintl.com

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2009, 11:01:12 am »

Someone here said that it takes speaking to the right person at each manufacturer.  Thanks so much for the info, Kevin!

Multitude Audio

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2009, 11:04:03 am »

I don't think it goes beyond them verifying MADE IN THE USA stamped on the box or the product.

Multitude Audio

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2009, 11:15:58 am »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Thu, 25 June 2009 06:59

I know the Biamp Nexia is made in the USA.  Beyound that-I cannot say.  But I would be pretty sure some of the components inside were made overseas.

I guess the real question is what does "Made in the USA" really mean?  ALL of it?  A certain percentage-and how do you count percentage-cost-number of parts-physical size of parts?  Company ownership in the USA and so forth.

That is a very vague statement.

I have not run into this-yet.  It is a GREAT idea-but is going to be very hard to enforce.  If they REALLY want to enforce it-THEY need to supply a list of acceptable equipment-NOT you.

You need to get clarification of the exact meaning-BEFORE you get yourself into trouble by non compliance.

And then let the next guy deal with it.

It is the nature of such inane legislation that they can't easily enforce it. They would also have to legislate the funds to police the program.

Congress could pass a law to change gravity, but without the ability to enforce that it is gibberish.

This is legislative arm waving and "look voter, we're helping you" .

The LAB is actually a good resource to try to meet the letter of the law.

For Ivan, I had conversations with Peavey's top financial guy back in the '90s on this exact subject and it's a slippery slope.. generally final assembly because of the high cost of US labor becomes a significant cost contribution and justifies made in USA claims (more like assembled in USA). If we dig just below the surface the bulk of the physical content of products, things we can look at and touch, will most likely come from elsewhere.

This is actually the way it should be as capital chases efficiency... We need to stop trying to save old jobs, and look for ways to allow the system to create new. This industrial policy to make green jobs is more wishful thinking, but if they vote a carbon tax (tomorrow) this will surely distort the economics of energy use.  

This will touch us all so wait for it....

JR

-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.