ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First gig with QSC K10 speakers !  (Read 51773 times)

Ivan Beaver

Re: First gig with QSC K10 speakers !
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2009, 08:08:06 AM »

My experience is that with loudspeakers that have an extended HF response-even at a distance they still sound better than those that are rolled off.

Yes it may be down, but still "adds" to the sound.

A rolled of top end sounds dull and "lifeless" and lacking "detail".

If the argument is that people can't hear stuff that is 10-15dB down, then how do we hear instruments that are quite down in level in the mix?

Very often it is the subtle things that are reproduced that make one product stand out over another.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

drewgandy

• http://gandymethod.com
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:47 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 26 August 2009 17:30

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 26 August 2009 12:41

Hey Art

What's the source for the graph?

It is on the EAW site.

I don't see atmospheric pressure or humidity values.  It seems pretty heavy handed compared to the graphs in my mind;)  

drew

Jonathan Wiegratz

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2009, 10:09:39 AM »

I'll add my $.02 about the K10's.   We use them for monitor duty and they handle it quite well!   We've used them a few times as mains in very tight spaces and they've managed the job well there as well.  

They're GOOD little speakers...  I'd still take my HPR's any day over them (when we have space), but for what they are, nice little lightweight speakers,  QSC certainly did a great job with the price/performance on the K-Series.
Boston Common Band - Boston Wedding Bands - New England Wedding Bands
Turbosound TQ445DP's & QSC GP218 + GP212's | PLX2 Amps
MixWiz3 | DBX 260 | ACP88 | LED Lighting

(Brian) Frost

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:32 AM »

I now own 8 of the k10s and 2 of the k12s.  I do many gigs with k10s over a single small sub with great results.  I dont find the k12 gets that much louder tho it does a little better throwing further and does a little better without a sub- tho less than you might think.  I use them for monitors weekly and every singer seems to compliment how good they sound.  Im all around thrilled at their size, weight, and price to quality ratio.  I expect them to make me money for a long time.  Dont know of  a box that competes in its price class.  

I do wish I liked the ksub more because its price and form are very attractive but it just doesnt do it for me.  

Frost

Owner, Narnia Productions

www.NarniaProductions.com

Chicago IL

Good is good but not as good as better

Michael Lewis

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2010, 10:09:18 AM »

(Brian) Frost wrote on Wed, 11 August 2010 13:16

I now own 8 of the k10s and 2 of the k12s.  I do many gigs with k10s over a single small sub with great results.  I dont find the k12 gets that much louder tho it does a little better throwing further and does a little better without a sub- tho less than you might think.  I use them for monitors weekly and every singer seems to compliment how good they sound.  Im all around thrilled at their size, weight, and price to quality ratio.  I expect them to make me money for a long time.  Dont know of  a box that competes in its price class.  

I do wish I liked the ksub more because its price and form are very attractive but it just doesnt do it for me.  

Wow.. you got 8 K10s! I only have 2 and looking forward to my 2nd pair. Question I have is whether any of you have paired the K10s, 2 per side. I wanna know how much more do you really gain from the coupling effect (not in theory but in practice) and how much improvement in terms of volume and bass response. Any comments are welcomed.

So far, i find the speakers to have quite good volume and bass by itself, high frequencies are awesome especially on vocal boost but for larger gigs or dance stuffs, I have to rely on my 18" sub. Are the Ksubs that bad? What settings do you normally go for the deep and HF switches?

Mike
-proud owner of QSC K10s (I lug them around with Gator padded soft bag)
been using my 1st pair of k10s for various applications including:
-school / college proms up to 300 people (with 18" sub support)
-outdoor cd playback + vocal event up to 200 people (with 18" sub support)
-zone fill @ 500 people company annual dinner
-vocal support (speech / light music) up to 500 people
-monitor speaker for jazz band setup

Art Welter

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2010, 11:46:25 AM »

Michael Lewis wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 08:09

Wow.. you got 8 K10s! I only have 2 and looking forward to my 2nd pair. Question I have is whether any of you have paired the K10s, 2 per side. I wanna know how much more do you really gain from the coupling effect (not in theory but in practice) and how much improvement in terms of volume and bass response. Any comments are welcomed.

So far, i find the speakers to have quite good volume and bass by itself, high frequencies are awesome especially on vocal boost but for larger gigs or dance stuffs, I have to rely on my 18" sub. Are the Ksubs that bad? What settings do you normally go for the deep and HF switches?

Mike

Adding a second pair will give you 6 dB more output down low, but the very wide dispersion in the high frequencies will cause lots of comb filtering, so there will be areas where there is actually less HF than with a single. Intelligibility suffers with two per side, unless you need over 140 degrees of dispersion.
As it is, I found the high end needed to be boosted. The wide HF vertical dispersion also causes a lot of ceiling reflections in most rooms.
I made a pair of acoustical "clouds" that fit in the top handle and extend forward about 14 inches with egg crate type foam on the bottom, really helped clean up the high end.

The "deep" switch seemed too hyped to be of use live.
The "vocal" setting probably would be usable if you had no other EQ, for instance plugging a microphone directly in to the speaker with.

The Ksub gets loud for it's size, but does not go very low. It is a small sub, but very deep (front to back dimension) for it's size, which can limit where it is placed.

Michael Lewis

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2010, 12:17:24 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 29 December 2010 00:46

Michael Lewis wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 08:09

Mike

Adding a second pair will give you 6 dB more output down low, but the very wide dispersion in the high frequencies will cause lots of comb filtering, so there will be areas where there is actually less HF than with a single. Intelligibility suffers with two per side, unless you need over 140 degrees of dispersion.
As it is, I found the high end needed to be boosted. The wide HF vertical dispersion also causes a lot of ceiling reflections in most rooms.
I made a pair of acoustical "clouds" that fit in the top handle and extend forward about 14 inches with egg crate type foam on the bottom, really helped clean up the high end.

The "deep" switch seemed too hyped to be of use live.
The "vocal" setting probably would be usable if you had no other EQ, for instance plugging a microphone directly in to the speaker with.

The Ksub gets loud for it's size, but does not go very low. It is a small sub, but very deep (front to back dimension) for it's size, which can limit where it is placed.

thanks for the helpful info. I'll only use 2 per side in wider rooms. In narrow and long rooms i'll use them as mid fills. Can the ksub compete with a cheap 600W sub? How loud is loud?

Art Welter

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »

[quote title=Michael Lewis wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 10:17]
Quote:

thanks for the helpful info. I'll only use 2 per side in wider rooms. In narrow and long rooms i'll use them as mid fills. Can the ksub compete with a cheap 600W sub? How loud is loud?

That would depend on the "cheap 600W sub", and what is powering it, and what type of music is being played.

The QSC specs the K sub at 130 dB peak, with a -6 dB point of 48 Hz, and that peak point is probably up around 100 Hz.

The K10 is rated at 129 dB peak, -6 dB at 60 Hz. So, using the same rating, the K sub is only 1 dB louder than the K10, and only goes about 1/3 octave lower.

Many people would prefer a sub that is 3 to 10 dB louder than their top cabinet, and goes an octave lower.

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 15:31

The QSC specs the K sub at 130 dB peak, with a -6 dB point of 48 Hz, and that peak point is probably up around 100 Hz.

The K10 is rated at 129 dB peak, -6 dB at 60 Hz. So, using the same rating, the K sub is only 1 dB louder than the K10, and only goes about 1/3 octave lower.

Many people would prefer a sub that is 3 to 10 dB louder than their top cabinet, and goes an octave lower.

I own a couple K10's and I think they're great.  However, I'd love to know how they achieve their peak ratings.  If my memory serves me right, I believe I saw them go into limit somewhere around 115db @ 1m.

Thanks,
Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Art Welter

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2010, 01:20:56 PM »

Grant Conklin wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 21:27

Art Welter wrote on Tue, 28 December 2010 15:31

I own a couple K10's and I think they're great.  However, I'd love to know how they achieve their peak ratings.  If my memory serves me right, I believe I saw them go into limit somewhere around 115db @ 1m.

They might use ultra short duration peaks with an ultra fast peak reading meter at the single frequency the cabinet is capable of being loudest.

Or perhaps they simply drop the cabinet on the measurement microphone  Laughing .

The products are decent, but seriously, the use of -6 dB points rather than the industry standard of -3dB in a frequency response rating with no graphs, and no continuous output figure is cheesy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 17 queries.