ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: First gig with QSC K10 speakers !  (Read 51770 times)

Neal Gaudet

First gig with QSC K10 speakers !
« on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:08 PM »

First, let me explain the setup....I play in a weekend rock/pop/classic band : drums, guitar, bass, some kb, and three vocals. We play in small bars and do a lot of small weddings and conventions. I am the drummer in the band. I've been playing live for 20 years and I work in audio post in the daytime.

Unfortunately, we do sound from the stage most of the time, and did on this gig (Yamaha 01v96).....SO.....I actually didn't have a lot of time listening to them out front, except for during sound check , and then during breaks with BG music.

What I can say is that they handily replaced a pair of Mackie SRM450's. Every bit as loud, wayyyyyy punchier and go deeper...even with the LF and HF switches flat.  On this gig, we ran them with a single Mackie SWA1501...one pole mounted on top of that and the other on a stand.
The top end in uncannily smooth. Like really really smooth. Not used to that with these kind of speakers(read <$1000 speakers). Coverage was plenty wide.

During one of the breaks, I simply could not believe how much bottom end they were capable of producing. Turned the sub waaaay down and it was still pumping. I am waiting for the right gig (smaller room) to play without the sub entirely, just to see how they do. I know, the Mackie SWA1501 isn't doing much anyway. We will probably buy the K Sub later this fall, when they're available.

I can't much else about how they sound yet...but I can say they are very light and easy to carry and pack. I love the 'top' handles! I had the pair in the front seat of my 2007 VW Rabbit (one on floor, one on seat). One person can easily put it up on a stand. They look really good with the plain black steel grilles.
So, for me, they have lived up to the claims so far. As much output as....say a Yorkville Unity15P? Not a chance! But at 1/3 the weight and size, I say perfect! No brainer for anyone looking at the Mackies.

On a somewhat unrelated side note, our guitar player took them home for the weekend - put them in the back seat of his Honda Civic,lying sideways on the seat.
Then, driving home, he hit a deer on the highway. Front end damage, cracked windshield, both airbags deployed. Car is a write-off because it's 12 years old anyway. He is fine....and the speakers.....are fine. Not a scratch. I don't remember reading anything about deer collision specifications!!  Surprised

I'll try to update with some more...useable information about how they sound as we gig with them more. Next weekend is a wedding gig in a small, hard/harsh sounding room. Bring it on!
Cheers

Neal

Bob Kenton

Re: First gig with QSC K10 speakers !
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 12:19:24 AM »

Thanks for the post. Please report back after you get to play with them.

Alan Roberts

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 03:57:59 PM »

I've had a couple of the K10s since June and find them to be a good speaker, especially for the price. They seem to be geared toward the DJ market, as their low end seems a bit hyped, even without the extended bass switched on. The 100Hz HPF works well with a connected sub (mine is not the Ksub, however), but I can't find what kind of filter or what the slope it is. In any case, the K10 connected to a sub sounds, to me, a lot better than by itself.

I've used the K10s in low-level live sound gigs featuring acoustic musicians and church youth groups, and so the speakers have not been pushed to limiting. Vocals come through sounding quite natural and pleasant. Some of the subtleties of acoustic instrumentation don't come through as well as in more expensive speakers, but this can also be the case with less expensive ones. In a side-by-side comparison with the RCF ART 310A, the RCF seemed better in bringing out the details of instruments like acoustic guitar and piano. On the whole, however, the sound is quite good, especially when coupled with a sub.

I've been concerned about what I perceive as a drop-off of high-frequency content after about 35 feet. Now, I will admit that my volumes are low, but it seems that other speakers I use may be better at projecting beyond 35 feet. I need to play with this a little more to make sure I'm not imagining things.

The speaker is well-built and has a more professional look than your typical powered speaker in this price range. I really like the top handle: sturdy and convenient. I also bought the QSC totes. They are of excellent quality.

I haven't tried these as monitors yet, but this is where they might really shine. Will post again to let you know.

For the money, very decent.

Oh, almost forgot to mention. These were used once as fills in a room with Mackie SRM450v2 speakers as mains. In my opinion, the K10s sounded much better.

Dick Rees

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »

Alan Roberts wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 14:57

I've been concerned about what I perceive as a drop-off of high-frequency content after about 35 feet. Now, I will admit that my volumes are low, but it seems that other speakers I use may be better at projecting beyond 35 feet. I need to play with this a little more to make sure I'm not imagining things.

Alan....

What may be perceived as a "drop off" in HF 35' out into a room may actually be a result of the direct sound (at those frequencies) being overwhelmed and/or phase cancelled by the reflected sound.  All bets are off once you go beyond the critical distance.

DR
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Alan Roberts

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 07:09:18 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 14:24

Alan....

What may be perceived as a "drop off" in HF 35' out into a room may actually be a result of the direct sound (at those frequencies) being overwhelmed and/or phase cancelled by the reflected sound.  All bets are off once you go beyond the critical distance.

DR

Very well could be, Dick. Thanks for the tip!

Alan

Art Welter

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 04:49:07 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Thu, 20 August 2009 15:24

Alan....

DR

Dick,

Not to quibble with what you say, but the more extended the HF of a speaker to start with, the more HF air loss is apparent.
For a speaker without much response above 10 K, the difference at 35 feet would hardly be measurable, while one with flat response to 15K would be around 4 dB down at that distance.
index.php/fa/24535/0/

Art Welter

Don Boomer

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2009, 02:41:45 PM »

Hey Art

What's the source for the graph?
Don Boomer
Wireless Sales Engineer
Line 6, inc.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 03:29:44 PM »

But take 2 loudspeakers.

One that is 6dB down at 15K and one that is flat to 15KHz.

At any distance the one that has the extended response will STILL have more HF-because it started with more-assuming the rest of the system was level matched.

The air loss will reduce the level of both the same (dB wise).  The air doesn't care what what the starting level is (in a linear condition).
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Art Welter

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 06:30:14 PM »

Don Boomer wrote on Wed, 26 August 2009 12:41

Hey Art

What's the source for the graph?

It is on the EAW site.

Art Welter

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2009, 07:40:05 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Wed, 26 August 2009 13:29

But take 2 loudspeakers.

One that is 6dB down at 15K and one that is flat to 15KHz.

At any distance the one that has the extended response will STILL have more HF-because it started with more-assuming the rest of the system was level matched.

The air loss will reduce the level of both the same (dB wise).  The air doesn't care what what the starting level is (in a linear condition).

I agree with what you wrote.

My point was that listening to a driver that rolls off above 10K such as the JBL 2470, which is already more than 10 dB down at 15K, air loss does not really make a difference at 50 feet. Whether the response is -15 or -20, 15K will be pretty much inaudible even for golden ears.
The JBL 2425, on the other hand, at 50 feet would drop from about -3 to -8 at 15K, from “a little”  to “a lot” down.
The K-10 is -6 at 18K,  on axis probably fairly similar to the 2425 graph, air loss would be noticeable.
index.php/fa/24613/0/
Art Welter
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 16 queries.