ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Telefunken M80 Hand-Held Vocal Microphone  (Read 36347 times)

Drine Fet

Re: Telefunken M80 Hand-Held Vocal Microphone
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 01:23:12 AM »

Tea Leaf Green keyboard vocal..made it appear to life.

A little abuse in the highs depending on the voice

Drine T Fet

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »

John Chiara wrote on Fri, 04 September 2009 19:01

Paul Dershem wrote on Fri, 04 September 2009 18:03

+1  Not a good singer and, at least over my headphones, the recording quality sounded mediocre to awful as well.

I MAY have a live 2 track recording of some bands using the M80...I will have to look.

I have a board recording of a recent acoustic show I did; I used the M80 on the female lead vocal. It sounded pretty good, let me see if I can find what I did with that.

Denny Jagard

• http://www.DennyJagard.com
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 09:45:58 PM »

I used them mixing in ear monitors for maybe 60 shows on vocals.  Now I'm mixing FOH using them on snare, under snare and bells/crotales.  My current lead vocalist tried one in rehearsal with IEMs, but preferred his OM7 (maybe for isolation?  I wasn't there to witness or adjust).

Audio quality and side/rear rejection is excellent.  I still pick up high frequencies if the mic is pointed at cymbals (I try to angle vocal mics away from high hats), but otherwise great gain before feedback and isolation.  Less EQ is needed in general compared to a 58...less low end proximity effect, dips in response around 400 hz and maybe 2.5k, but a bright presence from 4k to 8k (like what I often do with EQ to a 58).  Less distortion than a 58, my impression is it sounds more "hifi-ish" but still has great gain before feedback.  Regarding the earlier question about which voices wouldn't sound good with this mic, I'm guessing voices that have peaks at 4-6k, heavy sibilance issues, or a lack of low mids around 400hz.  

Clip is terrible (can't hold the mic up, hard to tighten, prone to tearing apart when tape inserted to tighten, prone to brass threaded part coming out when mic stand slams the stage), BUT Telefunken is designing a new better/stronger one that is "nearly ready."  The Audix vocal mic clip works great with them.  The Shure clips are a bit stressed to receive the large shaft, though I'm still currently using them on snares due to neccessity.

When thrown to the stage repeatedly, grill is more likely to come apart than a Audio Technica AE6100 or SM58.  Depending on the severity, usually about 4 hard "drops" will pop open the grill around the ring.  Telefunken has been supportive with spare parts.

When thrown repeatedly and grills are repeatedly damaged and replaced, audio degradation was only noticed after MANY drops.  I've been told this is likely transformer/connections damaged.  Result was a loss of gain, maybe 10 db and slightly different tonality.  This happened with 2 mics out of around 60 shows averaging maybe 5 hard "drops" per show.  

I am now currently using them on snare tops and bottoms, for a much more "hifi-ish" beefy sound and more isolation than a 57.  Also using them on bells and crotales, with same results.

Telefunken can make very pretty gold and silver ones.  See ZZTop for silver, AFI for gold.

I did not notice much handling noise with an agressive singer and a vocal heavy in ear monitor mix, even in the shiny metallic model (rather than rubber finish).  I never muted the mic in the monitors despite lots of "drops" and replacing the mic in the clip.

Telefunken seems eager to work with engineers to get the mics out there.

Definitely worth a try.  I've watched engineers get VERY happy when trying these as a lead vocal mic.  It's hard to beat a mic that sounds hifi-ish AND has great gain before feedback.

Denny

Daniel Nygaard

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »

I bought a M80 about a year ago and have used it on a wide veriety of vocals ever since.

In my experience it has a higher gain before feedback than for example SM/B58 and E935 in the low end, but a lower GBF in the high end. In fact sometimes the HF-feedback has taken me by surprise; quality speaker systems, nice acoustics et cetera, and still a few nasty HF feedbacks (problem instantly solved when switching to a B58a).

Another problem I've been having with my M80 is that every now and then it'll give the vocalist a little electric shock (Yes, even the vocalists that are not holding an electric guitar). Have anyone else had any problems with this that seem out of the ordinary?

Apart from the above mentioned problems I find it to be an excellent alternative for many vocalist where a condeser mic would have a too low GBF. Just like you've been saying in this forum, it has a nice tonal response and I even find it to have a clearer midrange in terms of distortion, though that might be caused by something else.

However, just like Bennet was saying earlier; it's not for every vocalist out there.

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:01 AM »

Denny, what the HECK are you doing that requires throwing the mic on the ground 5 times per show for 60 shows? Are you doing some sort of pro wrestling gig? Glad to hear it's surviving, but it's a microphone, not a hammer!

THIS is the hammer:

http://www.electrovoice.com/family.php?id=35

Edit: Lately, I'm using the M80 for folk vocals and snare top. I can't seem to get it working well on a rock stage, it's a bit too ringy. Folk vocals are FANTASTIC, so is the snare sound.

I have a huge backlog of multitrack show recordings, but once I get some edited down I'll post them.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2010, 12:38:39 AM »

Had a band show up recently where the lead singer used an M80.  Band had it's own engineers.  The vocals through the monitors sounded great.  I was only able to hear it during a very brief sound check and through the cue wedge but thought the mic sounded very nice there.  The ME used death to 100...A comment earlier in the post about a lot of low end may have accounted for that.  There was also a bit of a cut at 200 but no other significant cuts in the monitor EQ that I can remember.  

I have no comment on the sound through front of house as the BE hacked his EQ WAAAYYYYY too much to get get any realistic feeling for the true posibilities of how the mic could have sounded.  That's what happens when you mix with your eye attached to the computer screen rather than using your ears that are so conveniently attached to your head.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

John Chiara

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 06:39:38 PM »

The M80 is a great mic. As I may have stated before, it sounds good on about 80% of the voices I try it on. One exception is a local blues singer..kind of a throaty and full voice..for some reason the M80 makes his voice sound shrill and thin....so again last week in a small club..back to the Heil PR35.....stellar.
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.