ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: old Shure wireless mic system  (Read 12580 times)

Tim Padrick

Re: old Shure wireless mic system
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:20:53 PM »

Mike Caldwell wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 09:17

Make sure you have the gain at the transmitter set correctly for your vocal style. May or maynot be what your hearing but it's worth checking.

Good advice.  Every client-owned wireless I've encountered had the gain set too high, making them sound nasty(er than usual).

Steven Leonard

• http://www.sandsproductionsgroup.com
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2009, 11:07:09 PM »

A lot of people confuse volume for "better" sound. Not saying this happened here but unless your bandmates are into audio I would probably not expect them to hear a fidelity difference in a $600 wireless upgrade. Especially if it isn't their own instrument/mic. I know I would not expect my bandmates to hear this.

They would be able to hear if one is louder then another...and they would for sure tell you the louder one sounds better. Just a thought.

I would double check your gain settings and make sure you aren't missing something here. That internal gain pot on the wireless transmitter can make a huge difference if set correctly to the application.
Sands Productions
http://Sandsproductionsgroup.com
Orlando, Fl
The Leonard Brothers Band
www.leonardbrothers.com
www.orlandomusicpros.com

Thom "Fig" Fiegle

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2009, 10:32:26 PM »

Brent Gillespie wrote on Sat, 23 May 2009 06:12

Always A/B  any potential purchase to solidify your belief that it is a smart purchase for your needs.

I still don't think you fully understand.  T-series is crystal-controlled.  EVERYthing out there today is synthesized with phase-locked loops (PLL).  This is NOT an A/B comparison.

Osci-later,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Brent Gillespie

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »

Thanks for all the responses and advise.  I did in fact adjust all gains  and squelch's (T4v unit) correctly  per owners manuals. Also, had sufficient and equal input levels at board when doing side-by-side comparisons.
 Thom, thank you for the info on the crystal oscillators. I agree  that I am not really aware of the exact technology that is behind the old vs. the new wireless units.  In regards to the A/B  comparison.  I merely was trying to illustrate that I had exhibit "A" (the old wireless)  in one channel and exhibit "B" (ULX unit)  in another channel.  I had them adjusted for equal output through the mains.  I understand the results were unscientific and subjective.  Point is, myself and others were listening to the vocalist through both mics back and forth and we did not detect a perceptible improvement. I sort of figured it would be obvious when I purchased a new Shure synthesized FM unit. I was wrong  Sad .  In our minds,  we "A/B" 'd  the sound  quality of two different systems and concluded it was not a $600  "sound" improvement regardless of the technology.  I sort of rolled the dice on that purchase and added this experience to my learning curve of sound reinforcement.  I do now understand that a new unit allows more frequency selection and perhaps reliability.  Thankfully, that has not been an issue with my old wireless.....yet.     Best regards,  brent

Bob Henley

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2009, 02:33:41 AM »

I recently worked with two Shure wireless units. One was a ULXP and the other a cheapie fixed frequency unit. Both SM58 heads, and I didn't really notice a difference in sound.

The differences I care about were in metering (the cheap only had an on/off light and no battery indicator) and frequency selection. If the fixed frequency didn't work (fortunately it did), I would have been screwed.

If I was buying one, I'd go with the ULXP. It may not sound better, but it's a much more flexible tool.
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 18 queries.