Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Powered Cab: Accurate response on a budget?

(1/1)

Lynn Oliver:
I'm considering options for a powered cab to go with my Axe-Fx modeler.  Features I'm looking for:
usable as monitor or back line
less than 45 lbs.
enough power to compete with a 30-40W Fender combo amp
price under $1K

Some cabs that others are using in this application:
FBT Verve 12ma or 8ma
RCF ART 312-A
JBL PRX612m
QSC K12 or K10
EV ELX112
Yamaha DSR112

Not all of these meet all of my requirements.

Are there any models that I should add to or remove from consideration?  Any favorites?  Is there something out there that I should consider extending my budget to get? 

I'll note that the EV ELX112 is priced close to an ART310 (which I have) while the others on the list are more expensive.  My ART310 colors the sound quite a bit, which is why I'm looking for something that is more accurate.

Thanks...

Doug Fowler:

--- Quote from: Lynn Oliver on March 04, 2011, 01:59:21 PM ---I'm considering options for a powered cab to go with my Axe-Fx modeler.  Features I'm looking for:
usable as monitor or back line
less than 45 lbs.
enough power to compete with a 30-40W Fender combo amp
price under $1K

Some cabs that others are using in this application:
FBT Verve 12ma or 8ma
RCF ART 312-A
JBL PRX612m
QSC K12 or K10
EV ELX112
Yamaha DSR112

Not all of these meet all of my requirements.

Are there any models that I should add to or remove from consideration?  Any favorites?  Is there something out there that I should consider extending my budget to get? 

I'll note that the EV ELX112 is priced close to an ART310 (which I have) while the others on the list are more expensive.  My ART310 colors the sound quite a bit, which is why I'm looking for something that is more accurate.

Thanks...

--- End quote ---

It seems we are getting good reports on the Yamaha DSR boxes.  I have not seen a measurement, nor had the opportunity to do it myself.  Their marketing info says it employs linear phase filters for the crossover, and if that is the case then it may be more 'accurate' than those who do not.

I think it is definitely worth an audition, and I would like to get my hands on one for testing purposes.

Lynn Oliver:
I found this list of cab weights:
JBL PRX 612M = 34.5 lbs
Yamaha DSR112 = 47 lbs
Yorkville NX 55P = 41 lbs
RCF ART 412-A = 31 lbs
RCF ART 410-A = 23 lbs
QSC K12 = 41 lbs
Peavey Impulse 12D = 39lbs
Mackie HD1221 = 50 lbs
FBT Verve 12ma = 42 lbs

I know Yamaha has a good rep for passive cabs, but the DSR112 seems to be their first powered cab in a while.

Pat Latimer:

--- Quote from: Doug Fowler on March 04, 2011, 02:12:20 PM ---It seems we are getting good reports on the Yamaha DSR boxes.  I have not seen a measurement, nor had the opportunity to do it myself.  Their marketing info says it employs linear phase filters for the crossover, and if that is the case then it may be more 'accurate' than those who do not.

I think it is definitely worth an audition, and I would like to get my hands on one for testing purposes.

--- End quote ---

Maybe if you or Craig can get your hands on some we can finally have something in the Road Test Forum. I'd like to hear what opinions you guys would have on these boxes.

Pat

Lynn Oliver:
Here's another one:
Peavey Impulse 12D 39 lbs

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version