ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here  (Read 51242 times)

Tom Young

I just returned from Day-1 of the Demo/gear fest that David Nickerson spearheaded. Unfortunately I coud not stay for Day-2.

It far surpassed what I imagined it would be. Perhaps 50 folks were there today as well as a good number of manufacturers, some of whom travelled far to participate in this. More folks due tomorrow.

Everyone was of the "serious, passionate about live audio" ilk and (of course) many or all were LABsters.

The presentations were all VERY good. Today ended with Bill Hanley's recollections of starting out in the PA business and leading up to doing sound for Woodstock (the real one). His anecdotes were fascinating and inspiring. As it turns out, his motivations were no different than mine and everyone I know/respect in this business (he felt strongly that live sound could be improved and he did something about this). He just started doing it before we all did and managed to be involved in some of the greatest early (historical) events .... as well as many since.

The venue and its staff were all great. The acoustics of the conference room were far above average. The spirit of this entire endeavor was A+.

I suspect that this took considerable effort and planning on David's part and I personally want to thank him for doing all that it took to pull this off so well. For a long time I have envied what certain geographical areas across the US do as far as audio-related meetings, demos and facility tours (AES Pacific- Northwest chapter comes to mind) and I have wondered why we (in New England) seem to not be capable of doing this ourselves (all the while being guilty of not doing anything about it myself).
That is no longer the case.

So "hats off" to David, Jason Dermer, Bennet Prescott and Ales Dravinec from Eona-ADR Audio, Ivan Beaver and Danley Sound Labs, Chuck and JP from APB, Jamie and Karen from Rational Acoustics, Sennheiser, Shure, Soundcraft, EAW, the various reps in attendance and all the rest of those who went to great effort to pull this off.

Now, to sleep.
Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Bob Kenton

Re: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success !
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 11:06:13 PM »

Do you know Tom if anyone is planning on a "final thoughts" thread?

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/

Since this seems to be the first post about DemoFest, I made it sticky and added to the title.

I'll leave it here at the top of the forum for a while and let everyone who wants to post there thoughts on the event.

Of course, I'll have more to say, but  right now I am just going to get some rest and prepare for day two.

Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear

Tom Young

Re: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success !
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2009, 06:17:39 AM »

No.

But I won't be surprised if someone who is there for both days does this.

I would like to hear about Day-2.

Tom Young
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mike Christy

• http://www.piscessound.com

Tom, I thought the day deserved an A+++.

It was especially valuable getting a complete understanding of the wireless situation, and specifically the potential issues that can cause problems. Both the Sennheiser and Shure presenters made different, yet significant contributions. Not owning (but working with) wireless, it is now very clear to me how to proceed with purchasing and optimally operating these devices.

Although Jamie from Rational Acoustics only briefly touched on some highly technical points, the scenario involving the reflection and the comb filtering really brought it all together, and it convinced me to purchase a license in the near future. The Spectrograph alone seems worth the price… there is a lot of info in that rolling screen...

What can be said about Bill? As I wrote in another post, he was mesmerizing. Apparently something's don’t change - no one wants to pay for sound, and you don’t get rich from it, as he attested. No one outside the industry seems to appreciate the passion we have for this. That was the quickest 2 hours of the day.

My only regret is that I could only attend one day, and not stay for the evening session.

Also, I was interested in a couple of products, and would have very much liked to have gotten a quick demo, specifically of the Minis, the EAW system, and the QSC Ks. I will have to rely on reports.

Oh yes, we cant forget the big 3 panel…Tom, Bennett and Ivan,  from ground stacks to line arrays to horn properties, having three experts from the industry clarify and elaborate on their specialties was an invaluable experience. That one hour could easily be an entire day session.

Thank you David, the planning and organization of the event was outstanding, everyone that contributed, hauled in and set up gear, it is well appreciated.

You'd almost think it was put on by a group of pros!

Good meeting those I did,

Mike
Pisces Sound
Seacoast New Hampshire
Southern Maine

Ron Kimball

Mike Christy wrote:

...would have very much liked to have gotten a quick demo, specifically of the Minis, the EAW system, and the QSC Ks.
The TH-Mini's were very flat and could get painfully loud - I wouldn't have believed how loud they get if I hadn't been there to experience them! I was contemplating K10's over TH-mini's but the K10's just don't keep up in SPL. Their horns are very smooth and I was able to get one up to the limit light for a bit but I didn't need earplugs to be close to them unlike the TH-mini's. Unfortunately I didn't try the K12's - I really should have. The K10's were a great sounding speaker but no way were there 1000 watts rms pumping them. I wish they'd publish the actual RMS limits used for the drivers...

Bob Kenton

Ron Kimball wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 03:24

Mike Christy wrote:

...would have very much liked to have gotten a quick demo, specifically of the Minis, the EAW system, and the QSC Ks.
The TH-Mini's were very flat and could get painfully loud - I wouldn't have believed how loud they get if I hadn't been there to experience them! I was contemplating K10's over TH-mini's but the K10's just don't keep up in SPL. Their horns are very smooth and I was able to get one up to the limit light for a bit but I didn't need earplugs to be close to them unlike the TH-mini's. Unfortunately I didn't try the K12's - I really should have. The K10's were a great sounding speaker but no way were there 1000 watts rms pumping them. I wish they'd publish the actual RMS limits used for the drivers...

Is your sub search over now? LOL

Ron Kimball

Bob Kenton wrote:

JTR was supposed to be there with Growlers - I really wanted to hear them also but size is VERY important to me. Ivan said the TH-Mini's were being a bit overfed - maybe he'll chime in with what amp was used? Smile

Ivan Beaver

Ron Kimball wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 22:45

Bob Kenton wrote:

JTR was supposed to be there with Growlers - I really wanted to hear them also but size is VERY important to me. Ivan said the TH-Mini's were being a bit overfed - maybe he'll chime in with what amp was used? Smile

I was using 1/2 of a Danley 6.5K amp, which will do 2200RMS at 4 ohms-which is what a pair of minis is.  With the 700RMS each that is 1400RMS.  I would recommend an amp in the 1400-2200W range.  2200 is not that much more.

BTW I don't believe (but am not sure) we were maxing out the amp when any of the subs were being played.  So there was still room to go.

As has been said before-I don't believe in 6dB over rated power.

As with everything, I take the conservative approach.  I would rather have the loudspeakers last longer. Laughing
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Ron Kimball

Scott Hibbard wrote:

How did the TH-412 and SH-60 sound? Any thoughts/observations/pics?
Thankfully the TH-412 was only getting 2200wrms (I think it was 4 or 5 ohm?) but even at that I think it could have liquified the lot of us if it had been turned up all the way. You might need two if outdoors with 500+? I'm not sure which of the two top cabs were active during most of its test (there was an SH60 and SH64 I think?) but definitely a great sounding cab at the SPL's it was run at. Very even coverage best I've ever heard! While I've heard plenty of cabs that go to hell at full power (honk - old JBL - honk) I'd be very surprised if this guy didn't just keep getting louder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 22 queries.