ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here  (Read 51266 times)

Vinny D'Agostino

• http://www.myspace.com/vinnydagostino
Re: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 03:20:40 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 20:08

Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

Hopefully at the next event I can spend more time there, I was only able to get there for the band portion of the evening.....but even that was enough time to fall in love with the Lab Gruppen amps that where there!
What did you like about the amps? They sounded pretty much the same as RMX's (and any other non-crap amp) to me. Now at home playing a nice digital recording of a Stradivarius or some such I can certainly hear the difference between my Denon class-A amp and the $100 Sherwood I use to mess around with stuff with but with high SPL live SR in some random room I don't think there are many amps that are bad enough that you will hear a difference?

Well, I never really looked into the Lab Gruppen amps before because I always just figured they were way out of my price range. I liked the 4-channel amplifier that was on display and the fact that it was very light but had plenty of power (if i remember correctly the one on display was 2000w per channel @ 4ohms). I could replace my FOH amp rack with that one amplifier, and my roadie/girlfriend could move it all by herself Smile
I was just impressed with it, no real reason other then I just liked it.

Ron Kimball

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

Well, I never really looked into the Lab Gruppen amps before because I always just figured they were way out of my price range. I liked the 4-channel amplifier that was on display and the fact that it was very light but had plenty of power (if i remember correctly the one on display was 2000w per channel @ 4ohms). I could replace my FOH amp rack with that one amplifier, and my roadie/girlfriend could move it all by herself Smile I was just impressed with it, no real reason other then I just liked it.

That's cool - just wondering if you saw/heard something I didn't Smile. I didn't check them out mostly because of their megadollar rep - glad to hear they are getting a bit more affordable. Sure would add a bit of "geek bling factor" to the amp rack Cool.

John Chiara

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 05:07:30 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 15:08

Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

It is funny how everyone hears stuff different Very Happy
Hence the "art" part Very Happy
Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

I liked being able to move around from seat to seat and listen to the differences in the room itself.
Maybe next time we could get the Smaart folks to demonstrate how you'd tune the system to the room? Not a very challenging room but it still would have been interesting to see what they'd do about the couple of room resonances Smile.
Vinny D'Agostino wrote:

Hopefully at the next event I can spend more time there, I was only able to get there for the band portion of the evening.....but even that was enough time to fall in love with the Lab Gruppen amps that where there!
What did you like about the amps? They sounded pretty much the same as RMX's (and any other non-crap amp) to me. Now at home playing a nice digital recording of a Stradivarius or some such I can certainly hear the difference between my Denon class-A amp and the $100 Sherwood I use to mess around with stuff with but with high SPL live SR in some random room I don't think there are many amps that are bad enough that you will hear a difference?

The room wasn't that challenging at the levels the band was at..but a rock act in that room would be plenty challenging. tha back wall slap alone could kill you at 10-15 db more level.
I don't think I could judge the low end well enough at the volume we were at. The bass sounded crisp and defined but without a rock drummer it is hard to judge subs..if that is what you are going to use them for. Plus the drummer to me was playing a jazz kit..with a matched grip and hit the snare many times like it was heavy metal...a little out of context.

John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

John Chiara

« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 05:20:39 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:40

Vinny D'Agostino wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 12:24

I also never cared for the sound of the kick drum, but it might be more related to the actual size of the drum used and how it was tuned. For my taste it seemed like it was tuned a bit high and didn't have enough low end thump to it........but I realize it was more of a jazz kit and maybe thats how it should have sounded, I just like a kick drum with more meat to it.

Generally with a jazz kit the bass drum is supposed to sound like... well, a bass drum. It is not generally supposed to be electronically enhanced. It should sound like the drum does onstage, just reenforced as much as necessary.

Mac

I am recording a Jazz Quartet as I type...and the bass drum is about as far from a rock kick as it could be. All the drums are tuned high and tight. And I am using the same Equation mic on the kick.

John

Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Ron Kimball

« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2009, 05:21:25 PM »

John Chiara wrote:

Plus the drummer to me was playing a jazz kit..with a matched grip and hit the snare many times like it was heavy metal...a little out of context.
I actually thought it was more a case of it being overamplified - I assumed they had it up a bit so we could hear the mic? I didn't see a mike on the bottom of the snare but maybe I missed it - might have mellowed it out a bit to mix more bottom and less top? I was really impressed by how the kit sounded acoustically.

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2009, 05:32:07 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 21 May 2009 17:21

John Chiara wrote:

Plus the drummer to me was playing a jazz kit..with a matched grip and hit the snare many times like it was heavy metal...a little out of context.
I actually thought it was more a case of it being overamplified - I assumed they had it up a bit so we could hear the mic? I didn't see a mike on the bottom of the snare but maybe I missed it - might have mellowed it out a bit to mix more bottom and less top? I was really impressed by how the kit sounded acoustically.

For much of the night most of the microphones were muted. Kick, overheads, vocal, and some bass were the primary channels.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Ron Kimball

« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2009, 05:56:45 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote:

For much of the night most of the microphones were muted. Kick, overheads, vocal, and some bass were the primary channels.
Maybe it was the overheads picking it up? I thought the snare was quieter up close where you couldn't hear the mains. Seemed to me the snare was louder out the PA than the vocals...

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2009, 02:55:17 PM »

David, you did it really good. Kudos all the way.

It was my first time I ever touched Danley stuff. Impressive if I might add...

RF stuff ... excellent presentations ... I didn't know that I don't know shit about radio stuff. Nice occasional sparkling between Shure and Lectrosonics too ... all for the good cause.

Bill Hanley, what a man. He shared some first hand intel on Woodstock and some other, not less important events.

Band and stuff ... if anybody was looking for the amazing kick sound, that probably was not the place to look for it.
I just know, that when my two minutes arrived, I needed to mute half of the mics and ask bass player to level down a tad so the band should start to sound like something...

Mics ... liked Audix, not Telefunken so much.

LOVED Petrucelli vintage signature compressor !

Jamie of Rational acoustics made my day with the exact 'dosage' of super funny remarks.

index.php/fa/22860/0/

Awesome people, great event. Count me in for 2010

With respect

Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

John Chiara

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2009, 09:33:05 PM »

Ales, It was great meeting you at this event..a very mild and humble man with great knowledge.
John

Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2009, 09:55:00 PM »

It was great meeting you.

I guess you get the award for the furthest travel distance Cool .

And I am next, by being from another country-THE SOUTH! Laughing

Thanks again David and I learned quite a bit from the RF presentations.

Great company and great accommodations.  Without a doubt the best $49/night hotel I have ever been in.

Count me in for next year also.

Those of you who missed it-missed a lot.

My biggest regret is that around 12:30AM Monday night/tues morning I was awakened by "boom boom thump thump".  I figured Bennett and the crew were playing around in the room and thought about getting up and joining them.  But I fell asleep instead Crying or Very Sad .

I now wish I had come down.  It was the only time the loudspeakers were "opened up". Oh well, there is always next year.

Our industry needs more of these type events.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.