Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Archived Threads

Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here

<< < (3/13) > >>

Ron Kimball:
Ivan Beaver wrote:
I was using 1/2 of a Danley 6.5K amp, which will do 2200RMS at 4 ohms-which is what a pair of minis is ... I don't believe (but am not sure) we were maxing out the amp when any of the subs were being played.
Thanks for the info!  When you switched over to the mini's from the TH412 I thought you just fired them up on the other channel - I had to walk over to the TH412 to verify it wasn't still on .

Phil Lewandowski:
Ron Kimball wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 22:45
Bob Kenton wrote:
Is your sub search over now? LOL
JTR was supposed to be there with Growlers - I really wanted to hear them also but size is VERY important to me. Ivan said the TH-Mini's were being a bit overfed - maybe he'll chime in with what amp was used?

Ron,

I actually did the same exact comparison between the Growlers and TH-Mini's a year and a half ago at the Maryland sub shootout.  I listened just to the Growlers and Mini's for about 20-25 minutes.  You can look up the results from that and I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.

Of course, it always helps to hear them live, side by side.

Hope it helps!
Phil

Ron Kimball:
Phil Lewandowski wrote:
...I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.
Thanks! If they were the same price would you have decided differently?

Phil Lewandowski:
Ron Kimball wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 13:37
Phil Lewandowski wrote:
...I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.
Thanks! If they were the same price would you have decided differently?

You know, I don't think so.  The ~$400 or so difference wasn't really a big deal.  For me that 40-50hz could really be noticed in the Growler and it just made that extra "ummph" behind what I heard.  Plus doing small mobile DJ stuff on the side made the also a plus.  The Mini is an amazing sub in its own while not even taking size in matter.  But I think for just live sound stuff the Mini is very impressive.

Take Care!
Phil

Wil Davis:
Sorry, I posted this on the original thread, not realizing that there was a "stickie", so here it is again:  

Here are some pictures from the Monday evening live music session; no captions or info yet, but feel free to comment (or at least name names   - thanks…

http://wildavis.smugmug.com/gallery/8258955_XxQks/1/54035436 9_t7MAU#540354369_t7MAU

I had a great time and learned tons of cool stuff!   Thanks again, David for organizing it, and to the rest of the crew for bringing all the gear and sharing time, information and experience!  

- Wil

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version