ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here  (Read 51253 times)

Ron Kimball

Re: Boston area DemoFest - SMASHING success ! - Post Your Thoughts Here
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2009, 10:51:29 AM »

Ivan Beaver wrote:

I was using 1/2 of a Danley 6.5K amp, which will do 2200RMS at 4 ohms-which is what a pair of minis is ... I don't believe (but am not sure) we were maxing out the amp when any of the subs were being played.
Thanks for the info!  When you switched over to the mini's from the TH412 I thought you just fired them up on the other channel - I had to walk over to the TH412 to verify it wasn't still on Shocked.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2009, 11:15:46 AM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 22:45

Bob Kenton wrote:

Is your sub search over now? LOL
JTR was supposed to be there with Growlers - I really wanted to hear them also but size is VERY important to me. Ivan said the TH-Mini's were being a bit overfed - maybe he'll chime in with what amp was used? Smile

Ron,

I actually did the same exact comparison between the Growlers and TH-Mini's a year and a half ago at the Maryland sub shootout.  I listened just to the Growlers and Mini's for about 20-25 minutes.  You can look up the results from that and I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.

Of course, it always helps to hear them live, side by side.

Hope it helps!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Ron Kimball

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2009, 01:37:54 PM »

Phil Lewandowski wrote:

...I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.
Thanks! If they were the same price would you have decided differently?

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 13:37

Phil Lewandowski wrote:

...I believe I put my thoughts between the 2 and the one I went with.
Thanks! If they were the same price would you have decided differently?

You know, I don't think so.  The ~$400 or so difference wasn't really a big deal.  For me that 40-50hz could really be noticed in the Growler and it just made that extra "ummph" behind what I heard.  Plus doing small mobile DJ stuff on the side made the also a plus.  The Mini is an amazing sub in its own while not even taking size in matter.  But I think for just live sound stuff the Mini is very impressive.

Take Care!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Wil Davis

• http://www.k1wd.com
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2009, 02:07:00 PM »

Sorry, I posted this on the original thread, not realizing that there was a "stickie", so here it is again:  

Here are some pictures from the Monday evening live music session; no captions or info yet, but feel free to comment (or at least name names Wink   - thanks…

http://wildavis.smugmug.com/gallery/8258955_XxQks/1/54035436 9_t7MAU#540354369_t7MAU

I had a great time and learned tons of cool stuff!   Thanks again, David for organizing it, and to the rest of the crew for bringing all the gear and sharing time, information and experience!  

- Wil

"……………………" - Marcel Marceau

David C Nickerson

Thanks so much everyone!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2009, 03:31:23 PM »

Thanks so much to everyone who made this event possible:
Bennett and Tom Young for helping from the start.

Jason for hauling up and managing the "house" PA.

Thanks to Jamie and Karen from Rational Acoustics, Dave from Sennheiser, Tim from Shure, Howard from Lectrosonics and Brian Doser for adding real educational benefit to the event.

Thanks to Greg Bass for stepping up and manning the video camera last-minute through the whole 2-day run.  Now what do I do with all of this content?  I've only got 2 GB left on my show computer now.

Thanks to the area reps that made it and shared some of their lines: Bill King, Dave Henderson as well as Perry and the Hanoud guys.

Thanks to all of the manufacturers who shared their offerings: Alec from EONA, Chuck and JP from APB Dynasoncis, Howard from Lectrosonics, Mike from Allen & Heath, Tom from Soundcraft, Carlton and Shannon from Stage Research.

Thanks to Dave D for helping to keep the planning of this event vibrant here on the Forums.

Thanks to Bill Hanley for sharing some of his wealth of experiences.

Thanks to Tyra Penn and the players she brought along to be our test subjects for Monday night.

And thanks to all of the crew (Dan, Dave, Steve, Ryan, Tony) who came early to help with the in and hung late to help with the strike.

My head is still spinning, and I'm thinking of heading to Infocomm so I can actually sit, relax and absorb... I'm sure I've overlooked some names, but please know that this event would not have been possible without everyone chipping in as you all did.

Oh yeah.  Big thanks to the host facility: The Wachusett Village Inn.  They've long been a client, I've always seen them taking good care of their guests.  You'd be hard-pressed to find a facility that will treat you as well.

Thank you all very much!  I guess we'll have to do this again.

Mark your calendars, I just reserved the facility for next year: May 17-18 2010!  (When do we start the "planning" thread?)

David Nickerson
Bay State Sound

Tom Young wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 22:08

I just returned from Day-1 of the Demo/gear fest that David Nickerson spearheaded. Unfortunately I coud not stay for Day-2.

It far surpassed what I imagined it would be. Perhaps 50 folks were there today as well as a good number of manufacturers, some of whom travelled far to participate in this. More folks due tomorrow.

Everyone was of the "serious, passionate about live audio" ilk and (of course) many or all were LABsters.

The presentations were all VERY good. Today ended with Bill Hanley's recollections of starting out in the PA business and leading up to doing sound for Woodstock (the real one). His anecdotes were fascinating and inspiring. As it turns out, his motivations were no different than mine and everyone I know/respect in this business (he felt strongly that live sound could be improved and he did something about this). He just started doing it before we all did and managed to be involved in some of the greatest early (historical) events .... as well as many since.

The venue and its staff were all great. The acoustics of the conference room were far above average. The spirit of this entire endeavor was A+.

I suspect that this took considerable effort and planning on David's part and I personally want to thank him for doing all that it took to pull this off so well. For a long time I have envied what certain geographical areas across the US do as far as audio-related meetings, demos and facility tours (AES Pacific- Northwest chapter comes to mind) and I have wondered why we (in New England) seem to not be capable of doing this ourselves (all the while being guilty of not doing anything about it myself).
That is no longer the case.

So "hats off" to David, Jason Dermer, Bennet Prescott and Ales Dravinec from Eona-ADR Audio, Ivan Beaver and Danley Sound Labs, Chuck and JP from APB, Jamie and Karen from Rational Acoustics, Sennheiser, Shure, Soundcraft, EAW, the various reps in attendance and all the rest of those who went to great effort to pull this off.

Now, to sleep.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2009, 05:14:56 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Wed, 20 May 2009 10:43

Scott Hibbard wrote:

How did the TH-412 and SH-60 sound? Any thoughts/observations/pics?
Thankfully the TH-412 was only getting 2200wrms (I think it was 4 or 5 ohm?)

The TH412 has internal jumpers that can be moved to make it either Two 4 ohm loads-or a single 2 ohm or single 8 ohm load.

As it was wired it was 2 ohm and the 1/2 amp I had on it was rated at 3250 W@ 2 ohms.  So yes, the amp was a bit small for what the cabinet would really like to see for maximum output.

The other cabinet that was played most of the time (except for a little while Monday night) was the SH64.  It was on the other half of the amp.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2009, 09:03:29 PM »

Mike Christy wrote on Tue, 19 May 2009 13:11

Oh yes, we cant forget the big 3 panel…Tom, Bennett and Ivan,  from ground stacks to line arrays to horn properties, having three experts from the industry clarify and elaborate on their specialties was an invaluable experience. That one hour could easily be an entire day session.

What do you mean..big? Twisted Evil

"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Phil LaDue

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2009, 10:27:09 PM »

This event far exceeded my expectations.
David really pulled this together well, especially considering he had so little time.
These events are so amazing because they allow everyone from the weekend warriors to national companies to come together and see what manufacturers have to offer and network with people they usually wouldn't see.

As always, it was great to put some names with faces.

I would especially like to thank Tim Vear from Shure, Howard Kauffman from Lectrosonics and David Missal from Sennheiser for their excellent presentations on RF.

So many of us have been guilty of just "throwing" up a wireless system in the easiest way possible.
If everyone made enough free time to attend even 1 session like this we would see a significant reduction is wireless "problems" at shows.

The most fascinating part of the event was definitely Bill Hanley's presentation on the history of festival sound from his perspective.

One day I will be able to tell the next generation how I sat across the table from the man who designed and built the sound system at Woodstock.

John Chiara

« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 09:55:56 AM »

One interesting thing that I noticed and mentioned to Bennett. The band was miced up with good to great mics..and the vocalist was "forced" to use a variety of mics..Telefunken M80, AKG D5, Heil PR 22, PR 35 and a PR 35 capsule wireless, B57..and maybe more...I was drinking beer by that time. The surprise was OH's were Heil 30's or 40's..and the drum kit was miced with an Equation mic kit..which costs less than one of the overhead mics!
All worked well..IMO.
John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 16 queries.