ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zx1 with XTi 1000?  (Read 1244 times)

Bob Henley

Zx1 with XTi 1000?
« on: May 12, 2009, 08:41:11 pm »

I'm thinking about buying a pair of Zx1s to start a little PA, with the thought in mind that they could become monitors if I ever expand.

How would you guys recommend powering them? I've read here that they are "power-hungry" (whatever that actually means...), but my budget is pretty limited right now.

Could I do the job with an XTi 1000? I like the idea of built in DSP, especially if I move them to monitors and get an independent DSP for the mains -- then I retain that control without needing to buy 2 new processors.

RYAN LOUDMUSIC JENKINS

Re: Zx1 with XTi 1000?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:00 pm »

I think the XTi would be a good match from them.  I use a Mackie 1400i which is the same power rating and it works great.
Ryan Jenkins
"Two days until the end of when I don't know what to think.  Three days until I start the cycle all over again!"

Please visit my website at http://www.murphygirl.com

Geoff Doane

Re: Zx1 with XTi 1000?
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 09:11:28 pm »

Bob  Healey wrote on Tue, 12 May 2009 21:41

I've read here that they are "power-hungry" (whatever that actually means...), but my budget is pretty limited right now.

They probably get the reputation of being "power hungry" because the sensitivity rating is only 94 dB @ 1W, 1m.  I'm a bit old fashioned, as I consider 100 db @ 1W, 1m to be "normal" for SR speakers.  So the ZX1 needs about four times the power to produce the same noise.

The ZX1 is rated at 200/400/800W.  I run them with QSC PLX1804s (600 W/ch, 8Ω), which is a fair bit more than the XTi 1000 will produce (275 W/ch, 8Ω}.  That seems to be enough to keep R&B and Rock (no metal) musicians happy for monitors.  I haven't tried using them as FOH except for some light jazz gigs.  Although they sound great, I have been concerned about having enough Rig for the Gig™.

I've been using the oldest ones for about three years, and except for a feedback incident that took out a resistor in one of the crossovers, they've had no trouble handling the power from the PLX1804s.

GTD
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.