ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New England LAB Get Together / DemoFest is May 18 - 19  (Read 9017 times)

Bennett Prescott

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: New England LAB Get Together / DemoFest is May 18 - 19
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2009, 12:15:17 PM »

Gated "automixing" sounds pretty horrible, and "automixing" without compensation for the number of open mics is not something I want.
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Ron Kimball

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2009, 12:41:39 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 17:15

Gated "automixing" sounds pretty horrible, and "automixing" without compensation for the number of open mics is not something I want.
I thought with the gates set for a 6-12db reduction and a one second hold time it might be a bit better than nothing? I think I understand the "compensation" part but it seems to be only needed if you are near max GBF - how deaf are yous guys Laughing? I also understand a "quality" automixer would hold open the last used channel. Also be flexible as far as prioritizing channels but I'd think a single "moderator priority" would be good enough for us? Anyways after reading up a bit on these I'm surprised no-one coming has one Smile.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
Automixing
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 12:52:14 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 12:41

Bennett Prescott wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 17:15

I thought with the gates set for a 6-12db reduction and a one second hold time it might be a bit better than nothing?

If you are in a near feedback situation gating will have no effect on overall system gain if all mics are in use. It will also be pretty easy to hear it working. No net gain for a net loss in quality. Not a good trade off to me.
Quote:

I think I understand the "compensation" part but it seems to be only needed if you are near max GBF - how deaf are yous guys Laughing?

Gain compensation makes the overall gain of the system the same no matter how many mics are open. There is no change in background level, and if you have enough GBF for 1 mic you have enough for 20. The good automixers use this system, and are seamless in operation.
Quote:

I also understand a "quality" automixer would hold open the last used channel. Also be flexible as far as prioritizing channels but I'd think a single "moderator priority" would be good enough for us? Anyways after reading up a bit on these I'm surprised no-one coming has one Smile.

No, a "quality" automixer will keep the system gain at 1 no matter how many mics are active. If the panel is so unruly that you need a moderator priority the good mixers let you set a "weighting" threshold to give more priority to the mics you want.

We expect to have a panel on automixing at the AES Convention this October, led by our own Bink Knowles. Come and find out how these things work.

Mac

Ron Kimball

Re: Automixing
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2009, 01:06:45 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote:

If you are in a near feedback situation...
I was assuming GBF wasn't a factor in a little panel discussion but I think you are saying you don't really need an automixer unless it is? BTW is anybody going to be recording the discussions?

John Roberts {JR}

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2009, 02:10:12 PM »

Bennett Prescott wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 11:15

Laughing

AM without NOM is nada...

JR
 https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

Ron Kimball

« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2009, 02:14:04 PM »

John Roberts wrote:

EIEIO?

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2009, 02:18:23 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 14:14

John Roberts wrote:

EIEIO?

Number of Open Microphones.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2009, 02:25:02 PM »

Ron Kimball wrote on Thu, 14 May 2009 13:06

Mac Kerr wrote:

If you are in a near feedback situation...
I was assuming GBF wasn't a factor in a little panel discussion but I think you are saying you don't really need an automixer unless it is? BTW is anybody going to be recording the discussions?

You are mistaken about what I was saying. My experience is that GBF is always a factor in panel discussions. Background noise is also a factor, and a good automixer will take care of both. I try to never do a panel without an automixer.

Mac

Ron Kimball

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2009, 02:37:32 PM »

OK, gotcha. Worst case we can draw straws for who gets stuck playing "Fader Jockey" Laughing.

David C Nickerson

QSC K series and Stage Research (SFX) will be on-site
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15:04 PM »

I just spoke with an area rep who will be bringing the new QSC K-Series line.  I'm looking forward to checking them out.

I've also spoken with Shannon and Carlton from Stage Research who will come up after the Broadway Sound Master Classes this weekend in NYC to share SFX with us.

This is going to be a blast!

-David
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 21 queries.