ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL EON 15 G2's with SRX728  (Read 2509 times)

Mitul Patel

JBL EON 15 G2's with SRX728
« on: May 18, 2009, 12:17:56 PM »

I am going to be renting out my SRX728 this weekend, and bridging it with a Crown XTI 4000.  The DJ has his own JBL EON 15 G2's, so  how am I supposed to setup the settings on the amp to run this rig?  And is the sub to powerful for this setup?

Silas Pradetto

Re: JBL EON 15 G2's with SRX728
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2009, 12:23:30 PM »

Mitul Patel wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 12:17

I am going to be renting out my SRX728 this weekend, and bridging it with a Crown XTI 4000.  The DJ has his own JBL EON 15 G2's, so  how am I supposed to setup the settings on the amp to run this rig?  And is the sub to powerful for this setup?

You can never have too much power for a DJ. I'd set the sub up with normal crossover (30 to 90Hz), let the DJ run his EONS wide open, and set the limiters on the XTi so that it is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to blow up with a huge input signal. Only problem is the XTi limiters suck.

Personally, I'd never rent anything to a DJ unsupervised. It will come back broken.

Tom Reid

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »

Mitul Patel wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 11:17

Have him run the whole rig off a 15a power strip.  He'll trip the breaker before hurting the 728.  
tom

What does Buddha do on his day off?

Mitul Patel

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 12:40:10 PM »

I'm fairly new to the PA scene, and I actually just finally setup the amps with the presets JBL provided because I have 2 SRX722s and 1 SRX728, paired with a Crown XTi 4000 and a Crown XTi 6000.

What should I be setting the limiter to?

Silas Pradetto

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2009, 12:45:54 PM »

Mitul Patel wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 12:40

I'm fairly new to the PA scene, and I actually just finally setup the amps with the presets JBL provided because I have 2 SRX722s and 1 SRX728, paired with a Crown XTi 4000 and a Crown XTi 6000.

What should I be setting the limiter to?

Get a mixer and hook it up to the XTi4000. Play some bass heavy music out of the mixer at probably +15dBu or higher. I'm pretty sure decent DJ mixers can get that loud. You will probably clip the input of the amp--so you'll have to boost the passband gain by some amount to prevent that. I normally do 6dB. Then set the output limiter so the amp never clips, probably the -6dB setting will do it. I can always get it to clip at -3 without even much input signal.

Unfortunately, with the XTi limiters you only have peak limiting, no average, so depending on the DJ, he might still be able to blow the sub up by riding the limiter all night, thereby heating the coils on the sub until it fails.

Jeff Wheeler

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2009, 12:50:42 PM »

Silas Pradetto wrote on Mon, 18 May 2009 11:23

Personally, I'd never rent anything to a DJ unsupervised. It will come back broken.

+1

I filled in for the house tech at a local bar a few times when they had DJs.  The bar pays $100 for someone to sit at the console for 5 or 6 hours and make sure the DJs do not tear anything up.  Only thing I ever had to do besides lend the DJs some cables and mics was turn back the gain pots once in a while (because the idiot DJs lie about whether or not they are sending peak signal during the "sound check" then crank it up 30dB over the next few hours, like I can't hear or read) and one night I had to deal with a tripped circuit breaker feeding the amp rack.

Easiest job I ever did, but the owner of the bar told me he knows he isn't wasting his money because his thousands of dollars worth of speakers and amps would be trashed in one night if those idiots were unsupervised.
Jeff Wheeler, wannabe sound guy / moonlight DJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 18 queries.