ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Morel time?  (Read 3630 times)

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
Re: Morel time?
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2009, 04:26:46 PM »

Dave Dermont wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 13:37

I am a Polish Podpinka Picker from Pennsylvania.

That's pronounced "PO-pinky"

Those guys appear in the fall after the first frost. There's a mushroom you pick in the spring? I never knew!

I have not passed on the skill of mushroom identification on to my children. I hope there is still time.

There is a tradition of putting a silver dime in the pot when boiling your mushroom. The story goes that if the mushrooms are bad, the dime will discolor and act as a warning to not eat the mushrooms. I am pretty sure this is folklore, but I'll be damned if I ever cooked a pot of 'shrooms without a dime in the pot.

Yes, the dime MUST be silver. I constantly misplace my car keys, but I know exactly where my mushroom dime is at all times.

Naz Drowie!

DD

There are old mycophiles, and bold mycophiles, but there are no old bold mycophiles.

If you are unsure of a mushroom ALWAYS do a spore print!  Silver dime is definitely an old wives tale.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Dave Unger

« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2009, 04:30:04 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 11:58

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 20:08

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 20:56

funny thing is:  she hasn't spoken to me since then.

That sounds like a good thing.

Mac

Yeah, it would be hard to talk to her anyway with a mouthful of butter-fried Morels.  Laughing

I love it when the "educated" act as if they know what's best for the rest of us.

Being that the spores are microscopic and a field full of Mushrooms you've described would be almost impossible to exterminate.

Cheers,
Hammer

The mushrooms you pick are actually just the fruiting body of a much bigger organism.  You would have to dig up the whole field and kill the mycelium in order to kill a field of mushrooms.
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2009, 07:24:18 PM »

Dave Unger wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 15:30

The mushrooms you pick are actually just the fruiting body of a much bigger organism.  You would have to dig up the whole field and kill the mycelium in order to kill a field of mushrooms.

Yes,I believe you are right... but,is that for all Mushrooms?  I don't know enough about them ...

I do know that the biggest Mushroom  (family?) in the World is in the UP. I believe it was discovered a few years back, and it covers thousands of Acres.

I think it's near the only native Cactus to Michigan.

Come to think of it... Michigan is a weird State. Smile

Cheers,
Hammer

ps. We do have Bears in lower Michigan ... lots of them. In the Thumb/Port Austin Area, and a lot in the Grayling area.
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Dave Unger

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2009, 09:29:05 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 18:24

Dave Unger wrote on Thu, 07 May 2009 15:30

Yes,I believe you are right... but,is that for all Mushrooms?  I don't know enough about them ...

I do know that the biggest Mushroom  (family?) in the World is in the UP. I believe it was discovered a few years back, and it covers thousands of Acres.

I think it's near the only native Cactus to Michigan.

Come to think of it... Michigan is a weird State. Smile

Cheers,
Hammer

ps. We do have Bears in lower Michigan ... lots of them. In the Thumb/Port Austin Area, and a lot in the Grayling area.

Yeah, I knew that we have bears, just none of them where I'm from.  I saw one once as a kid near my dad's house in Antrim County.

You are right about the worlds biggest mushroom.  It is one of the world's largest organisms.

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 21 queries.