ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Morel time?  (Read 3629 times)

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
Re: Morel time?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2009, 11:35:50 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 12:50

Hello,

It's Morel Mushroom time of the year. I collected about half of a 5 gallon bucket this morning in about 45 minutes. It was getting too light out so I had to quit.... can't give away "my territory".  Razz  

Seems like a pretty good year for the shrooms, with the cold spring we've had.

Anyone else collecting?

Hammer

One thing I seriously miss about living in northern Michigan is picking morels this time of year.  You should hunt with mesh bags (like onion sacks) so the spores fall out while you walk around.  You should also grab some wild leeks (ramps) while you are out hunting, they go together perfectly!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2009, 11:40:08 PM »

Dave Unger wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 23:35

Charlie Zureki wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 12:50

Hello,

It's Morel Mushroom time of the year. I collected about half of a 5 gallon bucket this morning in about 45 minutes. It was getting too light out so I had to quit.... can't give away "my territory".  Razz  

Seems like a pretty good year for the shrooms, with the cold spring we've had.

Anyone else collecting?

Hammer

One thing I seriously miss about living in northern Michigan is picking morels this time of year.  You should hunt with mesh bags (like onion sacks) so the spores fall out while you walk around.  You should also grab some wild leeks (ramps) while you are out hunting, they go together perfectly!

Hey guys, let me know when to drop in for dinner.  Laughing

Mac

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2009, 08:28:08 AM »

Dave Unger wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 22:35

Dave, it's Turkey Season too.

Roasted Turkey, leek/cornbread dressing, butter sauteed Morels, and a wild spinach, dandelion and cattail root salad.... too bad there's no berries yet... for the dressing.

Yeah, you Northern Michiganders know good eatin Smile

In my county we only have deer, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, ground hogs, doves, turtles, and fish... although the Walleye (Pickerel to Canadians) is fantastic.

You Northerners, get all of the Big Meal Beasts... Moose, Bear, Elk, Snipe, Buffalo.

Cheers,
Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Dave Unger

• http://folksoundguy.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 02:33:24 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 07:28

Dave Unger wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 22:35

Dave, it's Turkey Season too.

Roasted Turkey, leek/cornbread dressing, butter sauteed Morels, and a wild spinach, dandelion and cattail root salad.... too bad there's no berries yet... for the dressing.

Yeah, you Northern Michiganders know good eatin Smile

In my county we only have deer, pheasant, rabbit, squirrel, ground hogs, doves, turtles, and fish... although the Walleye (Pickerel to Canadians) is fantastic.

You Northerners, get all of the Big Meal Beasts... Moose, Bear, Elk, Snipe, Buffalo.

Cheers,
Hammer

Not many Moose or Bear near Traverse City, it ain't the Yoop.  The Buffalo are on a farm, makes for easy killin'!

Too bad the Wings crapped out yesterday.  Here's hoping we'll get our shit together tomorrow night!

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not any simpler." - Albert Einstein

Art Welter

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2009, 05:40:51 PM »

Charlie,

I do miss the Snipe hunting since moving from Minnesota...

Art

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2009, 06:28:01 PM »

Art Welter wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 16:40

Charlie,

I do miss the Snipe hunting since moving from Minnesota...

Art

Yes, and they're big ones in Minnesota compared to the one's from Michigan. At least 50% bigger!

Minnesota's herds migrate from Northern Canada down into Minnesota.... where ours are locked in by the Great Lakes.

The young ones are good grilled, but, I find the more mature ones are best in a stew or slow cooked.

The striped ones have really boomed, just like the black squirrel population.

Art, do you do any rattle snake hunting?  I'd be willing to trade lb. for lb. Or?

Cheers,
Hammer

W. Mark Hellinger

• http://www.audiopile.net
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2009, 08:56:26 PM »

Charlie Zureki wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 15:41

Hey Mark,

at about $10 an ounce for Dried Morels... you may want to investigate that Law.  You might be sitting on a gold mine. Smile

The spores from these mushrooms are in the millions.  

Cheers,
Hammer

Looks like you're right... I've looked high and low and can't find any mention of Morels being on the endangered spices list in these parts.  Not that I'd consider commercial harvesting of the seemingly vast tracts of Morels in this area (which are still under many feet of snow).

Figures though.  Somewhere around 10 - 15 years ago when I got my head handed to me for considering picking some Morels (like I'd been doing for 35+ years previously)... it was at the hands of a holier than all militant nature preservationalist.  I told her what I thought and the funny thing is:  she hasn't spoken to me since then.

Mac Kerr

• SR Forums
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 20:56

funny thing is:  she hasn't spoken to me since then.

That sounds like a good thing.

Mac

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2009, 12:58:03 PM »

Mac Kerr wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 20:08

W. Mark Hellinger wrote on Wed, 06 May 2009 20:56

funny thing is:  she hasn't spoken to me since then.

That sounds like a good thing.

Mac

Yeah, it would be hard to talk to her anyway with a mouthful of butter-fried Morels.  Laughing

I love it when the "educated" act as if they know what's best for the rest of us.

Being that the spores are microscopic and a field full of Mushrooms you've described would be almost impossible to exterminate.

Cheers,
Hammer

Dave Dermont

• http://www.geocities.com/livesound101/
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2009, 02:37:03 PM »

I am a Polish Podpinka Picker from Pennsylvania.

That's pronounced "PO-pinky"

Those guys appear in the fall after the first frost. There's a mushroom you pick in the spring? I never knew!

I have not passed on the skill of mushroom identification on to my children. I hope there is still time.

There is a tradition of putting a silver dime in the pot when boiling your mushroom. The story goes that if the mushrooms are bad, the dime will discolor and act as a warning to not eat the mushrooms. I am pretty sure this is folklore, but I'll be damned if I ever cooked a pot of 'shrooms without a dime in the pot.

Yes, the dime MUST be silver. I constantly misplace my car keys, but I know exactly where my mushroom dime is at all times.

Naz Drowie!

DD
Dave Dermont - Chief Lizard, LAB Lounge

WARNING: Dates In Calendar May Be Closer Than They Appear
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 21 queries.