ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Labs VS yorkville 1208s VS ?  (Read 7287 times)

Tim Padrick

Re: Labs VS yorkville 1208s VS ?
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 02:49:28 am »

Glenn Williams

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 08:44:17 am »

Have you considered plans other than the ones you have mentioned?

http://www.audioroundtable.com/ProSpeakers/messages/367.html

http://www.audioroundtable.com/ProSpeakers/messages/489.html

It would appear that the horn loading of these "Horn Loaded 4th Order Bandpass Boxes" does not really produce much efficiency below 55hz. The horn portion of the design does not really kick in until then. They are 18.75cuft and 16cuft respectively.

You probably need four "mouth coupled" to get greater lower extension.

Four of either of those would take up a lot of space in a Minivan, and the Titan 48 is too tall to stand up in a minivan and too wide or deep to stack in a minivan.

Here are couple more for your consideration.

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=1850horn

http://www.speakerplans.com/index.php?id=186horn

Both of these designs are slightly less than 16cuft and look like they have better lower extension.

It is likely that someone here has previously built the ones from Speakerplans.

Steven Warner

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 12:41:06 pm »

I have considered all of the plans listed above. the Tuba vs titan thing is that the tuba is stated on Bills site as a dj box,the titan has more output in the higher freq and is recomended for live music. the problem with the titan is the same as with all the horn loaded boxes, I would need more then two.
 I haven't found nearly as much info on the 1850 and 186 horn from speakerplans but from what I have gleaned they would put me in the same situation, and In some peoples opions the titan would kill them. I wasn't worried about the tall factor of the titans I have a trailer.
Im cutting myself off at one box per side so at this point im thinking I might be better off heading back to a set of double 18s....Damn it.  Crying or Very Sad    

Glenn Williams

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 05:37:51 pm »

Just a couple of thoughts based on your dilemma....(I am just trying to help by providing a further perspective on horns).

Are you aware of why it is said that certain horns need to be used in quantities of four or more pieces?

It is because many horns lack efficiency in the frequencies below 60 hz, as is the case with the Titan 48. By coupling four together, horns benefit from the mouth and throat increases. As such they gain lower extension.

The 1850 is much more efficient in the frequencies below 60 hz and is up to 5db more efficient than the Titan 48 across a significant portion of the bandwidth between 43hz and 60hz.  

In fact it outruns a JBL SRX 728 right down to about 45 hz.
The Titan does extend well below 43hz, but that is of little consequence to me, since I HPF my subs at 40hz as do others.

The Titan is indeed more efficient by a couple of db as the frequency responses rises. A couple of db is not sonically significant and although it increases as one continues towards the higher frequencies, I cross my subs at 100-120db. Anything higher than that is of no consequence to me since it too, is outside the usable bandwidth.

IMHO, I cannot see why anyone would say that a Titan 48 "would kill" an 1850 based on the frequency response vs SPL levels of BFM's own charts.

In the measured responses at the Tulsa Raceway Shootout 2007, the Titan 48 is shown to be even more abysmal below 60hz in real life.

There is certainly no wonder as to why there would be a need for four of them in view of their weakness in the lower portion of the usable bandwidth.

The greater lower extension gained by using just two 1850s would also be considerable in view of their superior response at those frequencies.

Perhaps double 18" subs is your only solution.....and perhaps not.

Cheers!

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 21 queries.