ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PV TLM5 Floor mon rework question. (X2)  (Read 1204 times)

Mika Friday

PV TLM5 Floor mon rework question. (X2)
« on: March 30, 2009, 08:00:06 pm »

I'm hopeful I will be able to rework a Peavey TLM5 floor monitor that has been sitting around with a blown woofer and collecting dust. It's a 2 fold riddle so to speak...

I have a JBL M1158A to work with and was hopeful I could ask for some advice as to proceed with the thing or look into a replacement PV woofer. This particular JBL specs at 8 ohms, 250W program and 500W peak.

The original TLM5 monitor was running with the ch3 horn with a 14XT driver, Which I will continue using. It also housed an PV 15" (SH15835) woofer. The specs on this monitor are 300W program and 600W peak. Is this or would this exchange be problematic?

Question #2 of this crazy thing is; On the crossover itself, I noticed while removing the cruddy carpet I heard a slight rattle and after tapping lightly on the back of the cab realized the "coil" on the x-over was loose from what I believe is a mounting pin..? It does however solder through the board itself But, It doesn't look like it's part of the circutry..? I've included a photo as best I could to depict possibly a better description.
Thanks so much for your assistance,
Mika
index.php/fa/21959/0/

Paul O'Brien

Re: PV TLM5 Floor mon rework question. (X2)
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 11:37:37 pm »

The coil should have 2 wires soldered to the PCB, and should be epoxied(don't use hot glue) onto the board.

Installing a slightly more or less powerful driver isn't a problem, whether it a good match accoustically for the cabinet  or not is impossible to say, the drivers would have to be modeled.
Paul O

Mika Friday

Re: PV TLM5 Floor mon rework question. (X2)
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 12:00:18 am »

Hi Paul,
Thank you sir! I wasn't just real sure with regard to the crossover. Thanks a million!

I would sure hate to mess up a perfectly good speaker just fooling around with an exchange. I have 2 of these JBL's, basically brand new and they don't show up cheap. Just had the monitor sitting around and thought what the heck, Let's see what I can do here...

Paul, I can't thank you enough for your assistance and your great insight as to acoustical issues. I just didn't give that a whole lot of necessary thought, I appreciate that.

Thank you and have a Super rest of the week,
Mika
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 15 queries.