ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: APB Dynasonics ProRack H1020  (Read 78936 times)

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

• http://www.adraudio.com
Re: APB Dynasonics ProRack H1020
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 05:18:28 PM »

IsraelRaz wrote on Mon, 18 June 2007 22:44

....the Venice sounds warmer and better far away. description of so many features just covers up its weakness in sound quality and lack of mute buttons on all outputs and cheap chinese eq buttons.

From where I stand ProRack doesn't HAVE a sound ! That's its greatest feature.
I like Venice too, but wouldn't dare to post so irresponsible and un-argumented comments like : description of so many features just covers up its weakness

@ cheap chinese eq buttons...who makes those again ?

Alex
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)
'Put speakers up in the air, where they belong' Bill Hanley

Chuck Augustowski

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 08:58:09 PM »

There is some additional discussion about ProRack-House at:

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/22863/437/

Chuck Augustowski
APB-DynaSonics

Bennett Prescott

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2007, 03:20:24 AM »

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Tue, 19 June 2007 17:18

@ cheap chinese eq buttons...who makes those again?

I was just talking with Chuck about this very thing on the InfoCOMM show floor, and he told me to bother JP about it since he wasn't sure. He did know that all the knobs are Swiss, not Chinese, so go figure. It's an American made product, people!
-- Bennett Prescott
Director of North American Sales
ADRaudio d.o.o.
Cell: (518) 488-7190

"Give me 6dB and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

Chris Cowley

• http://www.humhead-digital.co.uk
Re: Hey Bennett!
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2007, 05:23:20 AM »

Dave Dermont wrote on Tue, 19 June 2007 17:57

I was wondering...

How does someone who does not have time to schmooze with Sara on the phone all day and is not Lee Jacobson get a piece of Road Test gear?  Laughing

Nothing big, maybe like a mic cable or something.  Laughing   Laughing

Dave "the not-so-squeeky wheel" Dermont

What about those of us in the UK  Sad
GO YOU BIG RED FIRE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!

Aaron McQueen

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2007, 10:41:39 AM »

Quote:

He did know that all the knobs are Swiss, not Chinese, so go figure.

Elma?

Justice C. Bigler

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2007, 11:55:57 PM »

What is the street price? List is $3,400, so street would be...~$2,800 to $3,000?
-Justice C. Bigler
House Sound Tech
Tulsa Performing Arts Center

IATSE Local 354

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2007, 09:45:55 AM »

We recently got our ProRack H1020. Strictly speaking it is not a true Road Test gear since we didn't get it just to play with, but we purchased it. Prior to purchase gentlemen from APB dynasonics kindly allowed us to exploit it during certain European pro audio exhibition I wanted to be clear on that at the beginning.

Basic data as channel count and dimensions are to be found in APB's web site.

I'd like to offer my view on its features the way road use dictates their relevance. From now on...flame suit is officially on !!

index.php/fa/10532/0/

My daughter observes, what I'm up to this time while playing with litlite purchased separately for H1020. Built in screwdriver access dimmer trim-pot provides smooth brightness control, just as promised.

'Feel' of the mixers faders and knobs is pleasing and when you listen to the changes in level or EQ while turning pots or sliding faders, it gives you real sense of control. Nothing unexpected happens,..., like sudden level jumps or similar.

I like big illuminated mute buttons as well as PFLs. Especially PFLs...they are positioned where they should be !

Layout and all the controls on the panel is REALLY self explainatory and nothing unexpected happens when you use any of the controls...like MUTE mutes whole strip, AUXes included,... turning gain fully CW (+65dB) does not produce enormous amount of noise in the last 5 degrees of its travel,...,polarity invert does just that and nothing more....heh, funny ? ...not always the case.
Turning PAN fully side ways will boost your signal 3dB, PAD (or LINE) will drop it 26dB...so I can interface all line level equipment directly to XLR input and be safe...how's that again +15dB -26dB = 11dBu... which is great for my pro CD player. I didn't even try to connect CD to the TRS input, which obviously provides addition padding. So, no more TRS to XLR cables for me, thank you.
Back panel : you name it, you got it. ALL important ins AND outs are XLRs. Buss insertion points for cascading multiple units (not necessarily all APB !!). The way I see it, you have 20in 14out mixer with really comprehensive routing capabilities...just what I needed.

To sum it up :

Pros:

#1 Specs don't lie ! (see next posts for proofing)

#2 16 input faders actually mean 16 usable channels...usable as in 'multicore' kind of way...you know what I mean. Now I'll pump this count to 20...easily...because channels 13 through 16, even they being 'stereo' still provide XLS with phantom, good eq, sweepable HPF (!!!!!)and all routing as mono channels provide. Keys, stereo overheads, choir mics, etc. are to be patched to those channels.

#3 Excellent metering 5 LEDs per channel + peak...by the way...this peak REALLY reveals if serious shit is happening...try to set gain to just bellow peak and then slide channel fader over unity....here we go...priceless !! Also 'timing' of the meters are set great...not to fast, not too slow.

#4 Great sound as in ... there's NO sound. Artists provides us with sound, not gear. I can see many of you jumping off your seats reading this statement...I apologize in advance. I think everything lies in interpretation of the word 'sound' itself. I'm sure you'll know, what I meant....huh

#5 sweepable HPFs on all inputs....what's there to say...eq needs are almost halved just by using that...Not to mention 'the amazing kick sound'....rotate LO EQ fully CW and set HPF to...say...60Hz...can't explain it, you should try it....

still under #5 ...I almost forgot...off position on HP filter...there's a difference between flat and almost flat, especially when talking phase...

#6 very silent...again...specs don't lie (-85dBu all channels assigned w/faders down, Master at unity). I tried to push it a step further....All channels assigned, all channel and master faders at unity, ALL gains at +40dB-ish....real show situation...ups, before I forget...ALL inputs opened (didn't feel like terminating 20 inputs with 150 ohm resistors...sorry John)....-60dBu @ 15Khz (-44dBu with all gains fully CW inputs also not terminated)

#7 zero hum ond/or 'pin 1 issues' whatsoever

#8 very small crosstalk

#9 very affordable considering what H1020 has to offer

Cons & wish list:

#1 no LED besides 'phantom' switch...John, I know, there's probably no room for it in the first place...still...I said it

#2 considerable 'pop' at power on and power off. Not a catastrophic one, but there it is.

#3 heh, when you set everything to unity, AUX outputs provide 6dB hotter output than masters or group outputs. This isn't really a downside...setting channel AUX send and master AUX send to 12 o'clock solves the dilemma. It is good to know that when 'silently pre-setting monitors', what signal will you actually send to artists monitor, when the time comes

#4 I want another one...

That's the review part. I'll post some measurements in next two posts as soon as I 'glue' the pics together (only 1 photo per post allowed)

Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

'There's no replacement for displacement' Carroll Shelby (Jim Bowersox, Tim McCulloch)

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:20 AM »

index.php/fa/10536/0/
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

Ales Dravinec 'Alex'

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2007, 09:46:38 AM »

index.php/fa/10537/0/

... I hope you don't mind posting like that (huge pic)...but that was my only option.

How H1020 performs on high profile show will let you know, when we come back from one.

Ideal gear for beautiful music ... http://www.ceolproductions.com/ ... can't wait

Until then

APB guys : keep on doing an excellent job and... THANK YOU !
Ales Dravinec
R&D manager, owner
ADRaudio
Slovenia

Peter Etheredge

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2007, 04:03:43 PM »

Ales Dravinec 'Alex' wrote on Thu, 02 August 2007 08:45

Cons & wish list:

#2 considerable 'pop' at power on and power off. Not a catastrophic one, but there it is.

Ales you of all people should know that this isn't an issue because proper power up protocol calls for the mixer to be one of the first things turned on and amps/powered speakers the last thing turned on, so having a pop isn't an issue! Power down is the exact opposite making this again a non issue.   Smile
Peter Etheredge
Systems Engineer and Designer
Top-Notch Productions, INC.
petheredge(at)tnprod.com
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.