ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY or not...?  (Read 15428 times)

Harley Osterlund

Re: DIY or not...?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 10:54:07 AM »

Lets do it!!!   Then there will finally be a real report people can put there teeth into.  I will bring the growlers and if I can talk jeff into it I will have jeff send me an ambassador for when you guys start playin all that 35 hz stuff on me LOL!!

Chris Cox

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2009, 12:15:27 PM »

A front range shootout sounds like it would be a blast, we should do it.  

...and (pending some listening tests)I'm feeling more and more like I should get the Danleys, if only to be different  Very Happy

speaking of which, looking at the specs on the th115 and th212, their range is up to 200hz, though obviously in normal use the crossover would be much lower, 80-100 i'd guess.  forgive if this is painfully ignorant, but would it be possible, give an scenario where some months down the road I do decide to build a bunch of LABs, to use the th115s or th212s for midbass above the LABs for large shows?  My numbers are just guesses, but something like have the labs handle 30hz-60hz, the Danleys handle 60-110.  And now that I think about it, the growlers could also work in this way... right?  Or is there some fundamental difference between subs and boxes specifically designed for mid-bass that I don't know about?

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2009, 12:48:09 PM »

No you could certainley do that but the growler cuts out drastically from 125 up  But from 50 to 125 it owns it.  Bring some tops over with you from horsetooth jeff as well we will match them to the triple 12 and see what the scoop is.  BY the way Jeff also makes a box called the ambassador that is a 30 to 80 type of thing I know it beat out the danleys when we compared them.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2009, 01:11:54 PM »

When you start to mix cabinets and operate them over a limited range (1 octave) it can be really hard to get them to mesh together-phase-amplitude etc.

It would be better to get a single device to cover the range.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Patrick Tracy

• Boulder Sound Guy
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2009, 02:24:12 PM »

Thanks for the PM, Dave. Anything I have is also available if it's not in use at a gig. I have a pair of Celestion SR2 bandpass cabinets which may provide a useful point of comparison.

Given our location we could probably find a ranch or the like where we could do outdoor tests. Does anyone have SMAART and a decent measurement mic? I have one of the Behringer mics and some freeware, but that's probably too ghetto to do it right. I think it would be good to do some real measurements so it's not all subjective.

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2009, 09:35:47 PM »

I agree let me look into it but I think I got a buddy with smart I will give him a jingle.  I can also bring the kick drum and a bass rig for real world applications for running band gear so its not all program material.

Jeff Permanian

• http://www.JTRspeakers.com
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2009, 09:39:53 PM »

Harley Osterlund wrote on Wed, 25 March 2009 09:54

I will have jeff send me an ambassador for when you guys start playin all that 35 hz stuff on me LOL!!
Captivator!!

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2009, 10:24:48 PM »

LOL!! My bad the captivator  I get them confused

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2009, 10:33:20 AM »

Harley Osterlund wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 15:35

they hit like a mother around 63, 50 hz  

And they hit like a mother at 35 hz, and 40hz, and 55hz, and 70hz.. The lab is a really good sounding and good responding box for what it is. I would definitely  not say that their size makes them obsolete as most big super subs out there take up a bunch of space.

I have yet to hear the TH215 and I anxiously wait for the day I can go do a subjective listening test with Ivan. I can tell you the 115 is not a great candidate for electronic music. I'm not sure what it is.. and I think I saw Ivan talk about this before. The "pant flap" factor just isn't there with the 115. It is a great sounding sub - but just doesn't do it for me on the ULF.

I hope to hear growlers some day as well.. a lot of talk on these but I just can't believe they are as awesome as everyone says until I hear them.

So once again I will default back to my favorite subs for dance.. Martin WSX, Martin sb218, EAW DC2, EV QRX218, L'acoustics sb218, and the new bassmaxx stuff is pretty neat (check out ultra's stage this year - they are after all the largest dance show in the US).

Edit* another thing that might be an issue is your 18xx series amps.. I've never used those before and I believe they are a class AB amp. I'm assuming your bridging them.

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2009, 11:01:48 AM »

I hear what you are saying.  By obsolete I am talking about my world.  I dont do anything above 5000 people.  And all the other small company's like me are looking to the future smaller, lighter, faster, tighter and more musical.  If some one just handed me six or 12 labs I still would not use them for my application.   Now if I had an install to do I would definitly consider it.   And if I owned a sporting arena then you better believe it LOL!!!

I was a huuuuug skeptic.  I called and talked jeff's ear off for hours and months before I had him send me out a growler.   We got it off the fed ex truck and A/B it with an EAW 850 2x18 cab at 4 ohms with the PL3000 drivers in it (still my favorite sounding 18)   The growler was 8 ohms we didn't change a thing.  Just un-plugged from the EAW and into the growler.  And no matter what material we ran, the growler was undisputable.  We then ran kick drum through the two cabs, and bass, guitar again there was no denying what we heard.

I am hoping to get together with these cats and do a super huuuge ROCKY MOUNTAN front range shoot out.  We got a cat bringin in the labs, and another one bringin in some Danely stuff.  I will let you know what we find.

Cheers, Harley

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.