ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY or not...?  (Read 15500 times)

Chris Cox

Re: DIY or not...?
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 07:36:11 PM »

Johan, thanks for the great link!

and everyone else, thanks for all the insight.  So i'm leaning towards non-DIY because size is a pretty big issue for me... and it seems like 4 growlers are a pretty solid choice, particularly because it should be easy for me to arrange a listening test.  So now I'm just wondering how 4 growlers would compare to 2 Danleys (TH212 or TH115)?  Some pretty thorough searching hasn't yielded much of anything on the TH-212, other than some general comments by Ivan and Mike.  I know I can trust the Danley published specs, and they seem to indicate that the TH212 is amazing - but has anyone actually used/heard them -- and how much do they cost...?

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:51:31 PM »

You can contact your local rep for pricing and ask about getting a demo.  

http://www.danleysoundlabs.com/wheretobuy.html

If the Boston get to gether comes together Rolling Eyes I am thinking about bring a TH212 there for people to play with, along with another product or two.

As a general rule the TH212 has more "punch", and slightly deeper lows (more of a listening thing than a measured thing), but the Th115 has more "meat" (40-50Hz).  The TH212 is smaller and will fit places the TH115 won't (under a shallow stage (it is 15" tall) or flat up against a wall-it is only 15" deep in that mode).
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Chris Cox

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

After spending a good deal of time with this wonderful thread:
http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/41126/0/20/ 22126/

I've still got almost no idea what "punch" is, but I'm damn sure I want it Very Happy

So if I go with the Danleys, I guess I just need to figure out if I'm going to prioritize the "punch" or the "meat"...

Razz

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:12:07 PM »

Chris Cox wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 21:25

After spending a good deal of time with this wonderful thread:
 http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/mv/msg/41126/0/20/ 22126/

I've still got almost no idea what "punch" is, but I'm damn sure I want it Very Happy

So if I go with the Danleys, I guess I just need to figure out if I'm going to prioritize the "punch" or the "meat"...

Razz

As usual, program material will show off one or the other more-or not.

Sorry for the term "meat", but that is what came to mind-think closed fist when saying it Laughing

Sometimes there is very little difference in sound quality-and other times it is huge. It really depends on what is being played.

The same thing goes with subs that go really low.  Depending on the material, the differences can be amazing-then put on something that has different low freq content and there is almost no difference at all-and there is no reason to buy the sub that goes lower.

As the saying goes "it depends".
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 10:23:28 PM »

Small shows maybe if your talkin over 2500 to 3000 people.  These size of outdoor crowds are done nicely with only 12 growlers.  And as I said in my reply I dont think something is quit right with his set up because it definitley is not flat to 35 was there alot of bass yes was it musical no it was disperportioned.  When you have stuck a couple of growlers side by side with a lab then you can report back to me.

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »

Call up Jeff he has ran across this exact question before.  He will shoot you over the grapghs so you can compare and see.  The grapgh and spec comparison goes to the growler but I have never done a side by side with the two.  And yes it all depends.  I will tell you that if you are doing anything under 50hz the growler is not the ticket.  But its so damn musical to that point it works for everything I do and always sounds low, clean and tight, Very musical.

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 10:58:50 PM »

The labs do group well but so do the growlers REALLY well.  Granted the labs do go to 32 (really well) I will give you that  If I was doing raves my whole life and had a truck that would fit the lab and someone elses back to lift it then yes the lab is a sure bet.  But that is not what chris is looking for.  I went that route for one season and switched to the JTR set up and my work doubled.  Yes I did not get a big hip hop show because he didnt trust the growlers but I did get wu tang and we just killed it.  And I have had one show where all there material was down past 50 but one artist and one 45 minuet set was a let down compared to over 100 artists and 1000 hours of go time.  I can handle that.

Jeff Bailie

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 07:05:48 AM »

Hi Chris,

I honestly think that the TH115 is what you are looking for. They go low, they have a sensitivity of 106, and they are small.

I know what kind of music your into, and I don't think the Growler goes low enough for you. I'm pretty sure a TH115 would move twice as much air as a Growler at 35 Hertz.  

In reference the question "DIY or Not"?  Whatever you decide, Just remember that their is a Table Saw with a 54 inch fence sitting in my shop with your name on it. And also remember that there is a dude named Jeff sitting on the couch next to that shop just waiting to help you cut up all that wood.

P.S. You need to come up the hill anyways so you help me listen to these new SH50s. And you need to bring your U15s so we can A/B em.

BooYaKahSha

Harley Osterlund

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 09:38:48 AM »

Hey Jeff this is Harley.  Chris told me you live up by horsetooth.  Would love to get with you sometime and do some comparisons.  I talked with chris at length about material below 50hz and what the growlers will and wont do.  I think he is going to come over this weekend for a demo.  Maybe I can talk you to coming down with some of your toys and will hook them up to the i-tech 6000 and wake up my neighbors LOL.   Harley

Dave Rickard

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »

Maybe it's time for a Front Range Lab listening party!  There are a handful of us out here.

Anything I own would be available.  U15P's and Tuba30's would fit this event.
Dave
Yorkville dealer

"The wrong piece of gear, at the right price, is still the wrong piece of gear."

"If you don't have good stuff at each end of the signal chain, (mics and speakers) what you use in between is just turd polish."--Dave Dermont
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.