ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Odd Moving light suggestions please.  (Read 5826 times)

Brian Houchin

Re: Odd Moving light suggestions please.
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 05:11:59 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 14:00

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney) wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 13:17

8 bit movement at 40' or so can literally mean each step moves the circle 4 feet at a time. So I would think it IS important Smile

See that is just showing off my ignorance of the subject Embarassed .

The distances may be shorter, but I am thinking between 30-40' in general.  I may need to modify my overall thinking of the layout.

So exactly what is "8 bit movement"? Is it 8 steps through out the full sweep range?

I have been out of lighting for a while and a lot has changed.

2 to the 8th power, so 256 steps for each channel.
Did Beethoven need a PA?

jeffhtg (Jeff Kenney)

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 08:17:51 PM »

Basically 16 bit movement is going to require 4 DMX channels and give you twice the resolution - which you will more than likely need.

Tony "T" Tissot

• http://www.4dbsound.com
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 09:09:01 PM »

Or to put it another way -

16 bit gives you possible values from 0 to 65535  (2 channels each, pan/tilt)
8 bit gives you values from 0 to 255 (1 channel each, pan/tilt)

The two big issues have always been smoothness of motion (no "jumpiness") and precise aiming.

8 bit on Martin SCX gives me .7 degrees resolution on pan position, and .28 degrees on tilt. Good enough for pointing in many applications, - all of mine.

Do the math on 16 bit, and the resolution can be way more than twice as precise.

The other issue - Smooth movements - are handled on the cheaper units by letting the instrument control pan/tilt speed, or not.

The Martin SCX scanners, for example, have an extended DMX mode that lets you control pan and tilt speed to prevent jumpiness. (or not). So even if I send it poorly written, jumpy movement cues, the instrument "fixes it."

The higher-end of the Martin line all has 2 channels for pan and 2 channels for tilt.

MNGS
ProSoundWeb - Home of 50,000 audio professionals - and two or three curmudgeonly SOBs.

Justin Rygel

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 04:49:14 PM »

FWIW, the Rosco I-Cue has an 8-bit and 16-bit mode.  Looking at the specs, you get 0.9 degrees for Pan and 0.225 for Tilt in 8-bit mode, and you get 0.028 degrees for Pan & Tilt in 16-bit mode.

Practically, you will use two DMX channels for each movement in 16-bit mode, a coarse control and a fine control.
Justin Rygel
Federal Way, WA

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 01:43:44 AM »

Ivan, how far apart are the targets? What is your budget per fixture, and controller?
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 02:42:54 PM »

Duane Massey wrote on Sat, 28 March 2009 01:43

Ivan, how far apart are the targets? What is your budget per fixture, and controller?

The "targets" will be in a area about 20' (or less) wide and from the floor to maybe 12' tall.

The controller is one that I am building that is a analog control, switchable scene from relay control.

I am in the process of building it now.  For a quick setup each of the "scenes" will be adjusted by using seperate pots.

That way you do not have to know how to program it-just press the botton for what you want lit up-adjust the pots to put the light where you want it-then go to the next one.

As long as the pots are not moved-the scene is "saved".

I am thinking of using a single course control to put the light in the center of the block and then have fine control for each of the scenes.

No budget as per say-but I don't want to spend a pile of money for features that I don't need.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 20 queries.