ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: EV QRX212 vs. Yorkville U15  (Read 24493 times)

Adam Kane

Re: EV QRX212 vs. Yorkville U15
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2009, 09:42:57 PM »

Did you run the U15's with or without their processor?  Based on first hand experience with these speakers (several installs), they smooth out dramatically in the upper end and seem to have more output below 80hz or so without a significant decrease in headroom, when used with their proprietary processor (U15P)

I don't recall if Yorkville has any info on their site as to what exactly the processor does, although I'm sure you could figure it out after spending some time analyzing one.

I enjoyed your comments on the QRX212 as I've not used these before.  Thanks for the real-world info.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 09:48:12 PM »

Adam Kane wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 21:42

Did you run the U15's with or without their processor?  Based on first hand experience with these speakers (several installs), they smooth out dramatically in the upper end and seem to have more output below 80hz or so without a significant decrease in headroom, when used with their proprietary processor (U15P)

I don't recall if Yorkville has any info on their site as to what exactly the processor does, although I'm sure you could figure it out after spending some time analyzing one.

I enjoyed your comments on the QRX212 as I've not used these before.  Thanks for the real-world info.

In full range mode.  The processor really just gets rid of the 190hz bump and brings up the low end.

But there was someone on here that noticed a big difference besides just what it seemed it would do,  but who knows!

Maybe just a mind thing,  but not gonna lie the processor helps.

Take Care!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Adam Kane

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »

I'm all but positive it does something up high.  We had an install with a couple hangs of these.  The processor was back-ordered for a few days.  I decided to fire them up w/o the processor (mainly just to make sure everything was wired correctly) and noticed they were lacking in the low end (no subs in this system) and when pushed a little harder, the 4-5k range seemed to get out of hand.  I also noticed the hole in the lower mids that Evan mentioned.  Not at all what I expected.

When the processor came in, I went right down and racked it up.  I played the same music I played without the processor and it sounded like a completely different system.  Plenty of low end, and the high-end didn't get abrasive when played loudly.  The low mids (say 250-400ish) all the sudden had a nice presence without muddying things up.  All this without a single change in the other DSP in the system.

Maybe it is a mind thing.  I wish I had performed actual measurements both before and after the processor was wired in.  I have no proof as to why, but they definitely sound better with the processor.

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 10:50:52 PM »

Adam Kane wrote on Tue, 24 March 2009 22:13

I'm all but positive it does something up high.  We had an install with a couple hangs of these.  The processor was back-ordered for a few days.  I decided to fire them up w/o the processor (mainly just to make sure everything was wired correctly) and noticed they were lacking in the low end (no subs in this system) and when pushed a little harder, the 4-5k range seemed to get out of hand.  I also noticed the hole in the lower mids that Evan mentioned.  Not at all what I expected.

When the processor came in, I went right down and racked it up.  I played the same music I played without the processor and it sounded like a completely different system.  Plenty of low end, and the high-end didn't get abrasive when played loudly.  The low mids (say 250-400ish) all the sudden had a nice presence without muddying things up.  All this without a single change in the other DSP in the system.

Maybe it is a mind thing.  I wish I had performed actual measurements both before and after the processor was wired in.  I have no proof as to why, but they definitely sound better with the processor.

I do have Smaart measurements of the processor in full range mode and is actually published in the UP15 manual.  I will try and dig it up for you.

Found it:
http://i717.photobucket.com/albums/ww173/beatmasterphil/UP15 Full-RangeSmaart.jpg

That is full-range transfer function, bi-amp is similar except with active crossover.

So as you see it is just both our minds, but it sure does sound better, and that's what counts right! Wink
Take Care!
Phil
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Richard Stringer

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 06:15:30 AM »

I really enjoyed reading this thread, especially because i'm in the market for a pair of used EV QRX212 cabs to go on top of my JBL SRX728S subs. Hey Evan, with the 117dbC at 12ft distance, you think they're capable of 128dbC at 1m distance like the inverse sqaure law calculates to?
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 18 queries.