ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement parts for Altman Altspot / Major  (Read 3158 times)

Adam Ellsworth

Replacement parts for Altman Altspot / Major
« on: March 17, 2009, 04:12:52 PM »

I've had a "Major" follow-spot for about six months and just getting around to fixing it up. I'd love to know how old this thing is... based on some google searches it's almost certainly an Altman Altspot (no fan) except all-black. Lens assembly appears absolutely identical to Altspots I found. The back end simply has something like "MAJOR EQUIP CO - Chicago, Il." cut into the plate, were they Altman "before" Altman? Smile

Anyway, to my actual question - the primary lens holder is broken at the base. The lens itself is fine. Someone has tried to weld it back together with no success... it's some kind of aluminum anyway.

Can parts still be found for these old things? I'm sure there's a ton of them still living in high schools. I'm excited just to have such an antique, but the rest of it is in such good shape I'd love to finish it and actually use it for something fun.

Ah here we go - this is not my spot but it looks identical. The broken lens holder is closest to the lamp base:
http://www.usedlighting.com/images/1164

Any leads would be appreciated. Thanks!
-Adam

Rob Timmerman

Re: Replacement parts for Altman Altspot / Major
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 07:48:42 PM »

That looks like an older Altman 902, which is more recently discontinued.  Horribly inefficient optically, parts may still be available from Altman.  There's also a decent chance that the lens holders from an Altman 1000Q (current production) will fit.  Parts manuals can be found on Altman's website.

Phil LaDue

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 09:58:22 PM »

Got some of those.
As Rob said, they suck.

Adam Ellsworth

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 10:07:21 PM »

Yeah, but for the $10 I paid it's not a bad deal. Very Happy Drove by a yard sale in my 'hood last summer and there it was, right in the yard.

Phil LaDue

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:31:05 PM »

Try removing the assembly and taking it to a welding shop.
Aluminum is very tricky to weld.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 20 queries.