ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: You get a house gig at a great music hall and you need to buy some decent comps on the cheap...  (Read 6498 times)

Marsellus Fariss

cause the ones there make you sad (Behringer). The EQ's, Verb, and Gates will work but the comps...not so much.

I'm hearing you guys all about to shout "RNC, RNLA, 166XL, 160x or a, Maybe a little Symentrix 501 or 524. Am I missing any? What about the Ashly's? What's that one that sounds a bit like a 160?

I prefer having attack are release controls so I avoid most quad units.

And I gotta stay on the cheap cause it's just a music hall after all.

I need 4-6 channels.

thanks.

Ken Freeman

Look for an second hand Aphex 9000 rack with a mix of 9301's, (Compellors) and 9651's (Expressors).

Ken

Gabe Nahshon

Like Ken said, or the dbx equivalent, the 900 frame.  The compressor cards share the circuitry of a 160 (don't remember which type).  And just like a 160, no attack or release control.

Gabe

Tim Weaver

• http://www.weaverimaging.com

If you can buy used, the Klark DN 504 goes pretty cheap on ebay. Thats 4 channels with attack and release controls.

John Chiara

I've seen Rane C4's for $500 or so.
John
"mix is a verb, not a noun" Sooo, as Aunt Bea would say.."Get to it!!!"

John A. Chiara aka. Blind Johnny
Albany Audio Associates Inc.
Troy, NY
518-961-0069 - cell

Ken Freeman

True, the knobs are there, but a KT 504 (and the 514) sound a little "funny."  I bought a couple sets of these 10 years ago and they were back on the shelf in a matter of days. My guys (and girls) were dusting off 166's in favor of these.  Never figured it out, but every time I have to use them, I shrug.

Maybe a bss 404

Ken

Marsellus Fariss

That's ok I can't get that spendy anyway. Looking for cheap. $100ish a channel hopefully.

Geri O'Neil

Marsellus Fariss wrote on Fri, 13 March 2009 23:47

That's ok I can't get that spendy anyway. Looking for cheap. $100ish a channel hopefully.

Used DBX 1046s are popping up now and then for between $300-$400 on Ebay these days. There were 3 of them for $300 "Buy it now" earlier in the work. No attack & release knobs, though. On these units, I hardly miss them.

I agree with Ken about the DN-504s. Ginchy-sounding, for some reason. Just didn't feel right.

Geri O
"Stagelite Sound...A Pin 2 hot-compliant company"

James Feenstra

• http://www.crewspace.com/James

i've got some 266xls sitting around that don't get used if you're interested
James Feenstra
Lighting, Audio and Special Effects Design

Chris Gruber

Keep an eye out for a couple of Presonus ACP-22's single rack space 2ch comp/gate. It sounds way better than the ACP88 does IMHO. can be had for around $150 or so each. Also includes a "filter" button than helps keep cymbals and other high frequencies from opening the gates on drums.
-Chris
Arthur Audio

"It never ceases to amaze me how many sound guys think the measure of their work is solely defined by whether or not their subs are capable of sonically vaporizing squirrels from 20 meters."

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.