ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Installation help needed  (Read 4700 times)

Tim Thompson

Installation help needed
« on: March 08, 2009, 09:55:56 PM »

I have ran systems for various events over the years but I haven't done much in the area of installing.  I am doing an install on a system for a small local bar.  I just had a couple questions, mainly just for running cables.  I am going to be running a system with 2 mains, 2 subs and 3 monitors(only 2 mixes - 2 front and drummer).  

Questions:
For my amps, I will need a channel for each speaker correct?

When running the speakon cables, I run them out of the speaker into the amps and how are all of these daisy chained together?  I know the mains are run into the main outs on the mixer.  

I run the aux sends to the inputs on the the amps to get my monitor mixes correct?

I think that is all the questions I have at this point.

Thanks!

Ivan Beaver

Re: Installation help needed-REAL NAME NEEDED!
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

Texas Amplified wrote on Sun, 08 March 2009 21:55

I have ran systems for various events over the years but I haven't done much in the area of installing.  I am doing an install on a system for a small local bar.  I just had a couple questions, mainly just for running cables.  I am going to be running a system with 2 mains, 2 subs and 3 monitors(only 2 mixes - 2 front and drummer).  

Questions:

When running the speakon cables, I run them out of the speaker into the amps and how are all of these daisy chained together?  I know the mains are run into the main outs on the mixer.  

I run the aux sends to the inputs on the the amps to get my monitor mixes correct?

I think that is all the questions I have at this point.

Thanks!

First of all you have to use your REAL NAME on these forums or the thread will disappear.

And the answer to all of your questions is, there is no difference in any of those depending on whether it is an install or a portable situation.  Just run it the same way you would a portable situation.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Tim Thompson

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:21:16 AM »

That doesn't help me much.  Mainly what I want to know is, how do I run the subs?  Do I run a speakon out to the amp and then run a 1/4" out to the main?  If I am running 2 montiors on one mix, I chain then with a 1/4" cable correct but do they both need to have speakons run out to individual channels on a amp?

Charlie Zureki

Re: Installation help needed
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:19 AM »

Tim Thompson wrote on Sun, 08 March 2009 23:21

That doesn't help me much.  Mainly what I want to know is, how do I run the subs?  Do I run a speakon out to the amp and then run a 1/4" out to the main?  If I am running 2 montiors on one mix, I chain then with a 1/4" cable correct but do they both need to have speakons run out to individual channels on a amp?

Hello Tim,

It appears you are new to Sound reinforcement. We could offer many suggestions to help you, but it may confuse you even more because of your lack of understanding of system basics.

I would suggest that you review many of the articles in the Study Hall portion of this site. Look for articles that explain system setup, such as interconnects and gain structure. Look to your Mixer's manual for block diagrams of system connections, or check sites such as Mackie, in their Operators Manual for the same info.

It may seem to you that the questions you ask should have simple answers, but, depending on the equipment you have, your knowledge and what you are trying to accomplish it may have not be as simple.

This Forum is an amazing resource for information, but take notice, that the questions asked are usually very specific and include make and model numbers.

Good Luck,
Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2009, 12:47:17 PM »

Tim Thompson wrote on Sun, 08 March 2009 23:21

for the subs/tops.
1. Do you have a crossover?
2.what type of speakers are these?
3.Have you ever set up a system with sub's before?
4. monitors. I don't get what your asking. take channel one of amp and make that monitor mix 1. plug monitors into it, daisy chain down the line. but remember your ohm load. monitor mix 2 make the drum monitor.

-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 03:19:27 PM »

Installs have their own issues, have you ever dealt with building codes, permits, licenses, inspections, etc?  Some or none of these may be applicable but it is better to find out now rather than later.

Tim Thompson wrote on Sun, 08 March 2009 21:55

I am going to be running a system with 2 mains, 2 subs and 3 monitors(only 2 mixes - 2 front and drummer).

Questions:

Some of these questions are dependent upon the system design while others are a little basic for someone installing a system.  For example, you seem to be missing any crossover or system processing, but it is not clear if it is actually missing or if maybe the speakers have integrated filtering.  However, one or the other is required and that will affect the answers to more than one of your questions.

Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Chad Johnson

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2009, 01:59:32 AM »

Tim Thompson wrote on Sun, 08 March 2009 21:21

If I am running 2 montiors on one mix, I chain then with a 1/4" cable correct but do they both need to have speakons run out to individual channels on a amp?

If I'm reading this right, do  not do this! It will likely short circuit the amp as you are adding power to power. If you connect two speakers together, there should only be one connection to the amp, not two.

Tim, no offense, but these are very basic questions and you haven't given much input on what the components are. The variables are numerous. Is the mixer powered? Are the 1/4" cables you mention line level patch cables or speaker cables? Balanced or unbalanced?

I would really recommend talking to the person who sold you the system or a local proaudio house. You might even be able to run it over in a van and show them the stuff. At the very least, google your components owners manuals and look for block diagrams of system hook-up examples.
Digital consoles are so 2006. The real future is in steering bass arrays.

Dick Rees

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2009, 09:25:37 AM »

Tim....

If you don't know the answers to these questions you probably shouldn't be doing things for other people.  I realize that everyone has to start somewhere, but install is not that place.  At the deep end there are liability issues, maybe not so much with the questions you've asked, but with the ones you haven't asked.  I mean this to be constructive, not critical.
 Neo-Luddite, Rocket Surgeon
"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain."

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 09:32:22 AM »

Dick Rees wrote on Wed, 11 March 2009 08:25

Tim....

If you don't know the answers to these questions you probably shouldn't be doing things for other people.  I realize that everyone has to start somewhere, but install is not that place.  At the deep end there are liability issues, maybe not so much with the questions you've asked, but with the ones you haven't asked.  I mean this to be constructive, not critical.

+1

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:58:40 PM »

Dick Rees wrote on Wed, 11 March 2009 09:25

Tim....

AH come on guys-this stuff isn't that hard-anybody can do it Laughing and charge money for such work Crying or Very Sad
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.