ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 nightmare  (Read 26429 times)

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
Re: LS9 nightmare
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2011, 09:19:04 AM »

Hi all,
thought I would share something that happened on an LS9  last night.
I was doing a corporate show (about 1000 pax). A couple of pairs on the board ( CD's, Beta, powerpoint) and about 10 mono inputs
Everything was fine for most of the day until I had to fade in a paired channel ( CD) as I started to push up one of the faders, the other one (paired one) went flying all the way up to max and the audio came at a horrendous volume!!!!
I quickly muted the channel but the monster was out  :-[
Needless to say that everyone in the room jumped and complained about the super loud sound that came out of the system (12 dV Doscs and 4 dV subs) and  production gave me a look like what the f#@%k have I done.
Now I could not use those channels anymore and I had to repatch the CD payer to other intputs.
I kept the pair muted and everytime I moved the left fader the right one would jump all the to maximum. I finally unlinked the pair and relinked it and the problem went away. Was not able to reproduce the problem after wards.
Anybody run into something like that?
The console is about 1 year old with latest firmware and was in use in normal conditions (temp. humidity, etc)

I too have had this happen. My personal belief is that it may matter which channel you link from and to. I think it may have occured when I linked from even to odd. Either way, this is something that Yamaha need to fix ASAP.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2011, 05:46:12 PM »

I too have had this happen. My personal belief is that it may matter which channel you link from and to. I think it may have occured when I linked from even to odd. Either way, this is something that Yamaha need to fix ASAP.

OK, I tried it tonight. If the faders are at differing positions ie. not at -infinity then this fader shooting up error will occur on the current LS9 software.

Make sure that the faders are both completely down before you pair.

I think we should get ?Yamaha to fix this in their next firmware update.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2011, 05:32:17 AM »

OK, I tried it tonight. If the faders are at differing positions ie. not at -infinity then this fader shooting up error will occur on the current LS9 software.

Make sure that the faders are both completely down before you pair.
I don't own one, but from reading this thread, I would suggest doing the pairing with the faders @ 100%. Level matching error would be minimized.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2011, 09:03:40 AM »

I don't own one, but from reading this thread, I would suggest doing the pairing with the faders @ 100%. Level matching error would be minimized.

Basically, the pairing works if the faders are at EXACTLY the same position. The only 2 places this will work is with both either at the top or the bottom of the fader track.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2011, 10:41:35 AM »

Basically, the pairing works if the faders are at EXACTLY the same position. The only 2 places this will work is with both either at the top or the bottom of the fader track.

However, at the bottom of the the track even an extremely small difference will translate to a large difference at the top of the track, a small difference at the top will translate to no difference at the bottom.

Mac

Brad Harris

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2011, 11:31:09 AM »

I'll spill my beans against this ......

Its not a bug, error, or 'Oops, we forgot to do ......' Its a FEATURE. Check out page 124-125 of your user manual to read more about what this really does for the console and how to use it. This is the only thing I miss about the 01v96 in regards to fader linking that isn't on the newer consoles ..... and here's why

There's no DCA on the LS9 ... but you can fake it with a fader link, where you don't necessarily want the faders at the same level.

But when you do a fader link, as said, be sure to group them when they are at the same level in regards to eachother (this can be verified on the screen) if you want them to match eachother.

Also as mentioned (and in the manual), as with the 01v96, hold select while changing one of the faders if you need to change the offset between levels in the fader link.

I think we should get ?Yamaha to fix this in their next firmware update.

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:10 AM »

I'll spill my beans against this ......

Its not a bug, error, or 'Oops, we forgot to do ......' Its a FEATURE. Check out page 124-125 of your user manual to read more about what this really does for the console and how to use it. This is the only thing I miss about the 01v96 in regards to fader linking that isn't on the newer consoles ..... and here's why

There's no DCA on the LS9 ... but you can fake it with a fader link, where you don't necessarily want the faders at the same level.

But when you do a fader link, as said, be sure to group them when they are at the same level in regards to eachother (this can be verified on the screen) if you want them to match eachother.

Also as mentioned (and in the manual), as with the 01v96, hold select while changing one of the faders if you need to change the offset between levels in the fader link.
Hey Brad,
don't want to repeat myself but like I said previously, the problem occurred after hours of none problem, and no I didn't change scenes or hit some button that I wasn't aware of.
I use the LS9 frequently and I am Yamaha savvy ( I've been using Yamaha consoles for over 10 years)
There is no way you can pair a channel, move up from -infinity the left fader and see the right one jump all the way up in an instant! If you can achieve that in any way I'll be glad to learn!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 12:46:22 PM by Ivan Feder »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2011, 01:58:55 PM »

Hey Brad,
don't want to repeat myself but like I said previously, the problem occurred after hours of none problem, and no I didn't change scenes or hit some button that I wasn't aware of.
I use the LS9 frequently and I am Yamaha savvy ( I've been using Yamaha consoles for over 10 years)
There is no way you can pair a channel, move up from -infinity the left fader and see the right one jump all the way up in an instant! If you can achieve that in any way I'll be glad to learn!

Hi Ivan-

Have you run a fader calibration recently?  I suspect you have a bad fader in that pair if you had no saved offset.

If this were an actual software bug I think we'd have many reports of this behavior.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2011, 09:42:26 AM »

Hi Ivan-

Have you run a fader calibration recently?  I suspect you have a bad fader in that pair if you had no saved offset.

If this were an actual software bug I think we'd have many reports of this behavior.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
Hi Tim,
It seems that there are a few other instances of buggy pairs on the LS9.  ::)
However I haven't been able to reproduce the incident so running a fader calibration procedure will only (possibly?) prevent this from happening again? Why it appears to me to be a bug is the fact that the incident happened after hours of normal usage.......

Brian Ehlers

• West Michigan
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »

Everyone seems to be looking for a reason for the weird behavior.  I suspect there is no reason.  Just a random error:   a flipped bit in memory .... data read wrong by the processor due to some nearby RFI .... karma catching up with you for pulling your sister's pigtails when you were 9 .... who knows?  Computers make mistakes, and digital consoles are computers.  Do the processors inside the LS9 use error detection and correction?  Do they even use simple parity to detect data errors?  Does the software perform reasonableness checks on its calculations before acting on them?  These are the kind of things that differentiate a $50 DVD player from a $50,000 piece of avionics.  Where does the LS9 fall on that scale?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2011, 01:14:27 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.