ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: LS9 nightmare  (Read 26327 times)

Ivan Feder

• Paris, France
Re: LS9 channel parameters
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2011, 03:47:18 PM »

I am not too familiar with the LS9 (and I like it that way),  ;D does this fader link also link all the other channel parameters? If it is only a fader link I would avoid it altogether and just push up 2 faders. If it is the only way to link the other parameters like eq, dynamics, and routing, I guess you have to live with it since setting eq and dynamics for each channel separately would be a big PITA. I usually only link faders when they are on different layers. On a DM2000 you link each parameter individually, on a PM5D, all together.

Mac
Yeah, I was coming to that to! The link  parameters can be set individually. Don't think I will be doing much pairing on this console anymore. ;D

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 03:50:25 PM »

Yeah, I was coming to that to! The link  parameters can be set individually. Don't think I will be doing much pairing on this console anymore. ;D

If they can be set individually, just link the eq and dynamics, and leave the fader separate. You can correct for a channel imbalance on the input that way too.

Mac

John Neil

• SR Forums
Re: LS9 nightmare
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

Time to calibrate faders...

Frederik Rosenkjær

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

I am not too familiar with the LS9 (and I like it that way)

Maybe, if you became more familiar with it you'd also like it that way? You can do amazing things on that 20kg console if you try.

(Sorry, but pride in ignorance doesn't sit well with me)
Affiliations: Danley Sound Labs, Yamaha (MI)

Curt Sorensen

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 05:02:13 PM »

If they can be set individually,

Don't the LS9's faders link 'individually' only in regard to parameters but those parameters are then applied globally to all linked faders? A potential gotcha there, if I remember correctly.
Curt Sorensen
Madison, Wisconsin

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

Maybe, if you became more familiar with it you'd also like it that way? You can do amazing things on that 20kg console if you try.

(Sorry, but pride in ignorance doesn't sit well with me)

I use a lot of digital consoles, I have used the LS9 a few time, I have made a decision to avoid it if at all possible. I am someone who has been telling people the amazing things they can do with various digital consoles for many years. I have been using digital console for 10 years since my first time on a PM1D. The fact that you can do amazing things doesn't mean much to me when there are other options that work better for me.

Mac

Gustav Hedelund

• Liljedahls Musik - homepage
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2011, 06:46:43 PM »

I think the dec+ and - knobs can do funny things sometimes when working fast, a user error change that sometimes goes by unnoticed if no audio goes by that channel. If the gains are not linked, or dynamics parameters - you may have changed something very wrong on one channel compared to another one, when thinking you were navigating instead of accidentally altering a value.

If one fader moves up a lot faster than the other linked one you may have linked wrong and looked at the wrong fader(s), linked back and then got something wrong with the channel/fader parameters. Maybe one of the channels had been recall safed somewhere in everything? Custom fader layer and jog-wheel change?

Many things can happen, but I find the LS9 to be very,very reliable though strange things can sometimes happen. Most often you find the cause that is yourself, when you don't, I often think I can't think through the whole process of my moving hands and thoughts to find my error, rather than saying it's the console. It's another thing being more than just a one-time occasion in different scenes starting from a zeroed console.

Then again, it could be a bug. Or it could have been you on an analog console turning the wrong gain knob.  Which one is most obvious and which one is most annoying? Leaves a thought.

// Gustav

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2011, 07:01:18 PM »

I don’t like linking pairs of faders in general on a digital console because I always grab both faders and it seems that the motors fight each other when I am touching both. It feels like something is wrong they don’t move smoothly. 

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2011, 12:50:54 AM »

I am not too familiar with the LS9 (and I like it that way), does this fader link also link all the other channel parameters? If it is only a fader link I would avoid it altogether and just push up 2 faders. If it is the only way to link the other parameters like eq, dynamics, and routing, I guess you have to live with it since setting eq and dynamics for each channel separately would be a big PITA. I usually only link faders when they are on different layers. On a DM2000 you link each parameter individually, on a PM5D, all together.

Mac
The reason I link them is that then I only have to copy one fader to the custom fader layer. First time I ran in to the flying fader problem was when I nudged up the playback and one side of the house got real loud.
Perhaps a combo of linking at max and calibrating the faders is in order for me.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

[email protected]

• Finland, Uusimaa
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 02:53:47 AM »

First time I ran in to the flying fader problem was when I nudged up the playback and one side of the house got real loud.

I had those flying faders in past, with 01V96... Sometimes when air got dry (I mean really dry as it can be here in Finland sometimes during winter) the static electricity caused ALL the 01V96's faders to go all the way up, when I touched the console.

I learned to touch something else before touching the console for getting rid of the static electricity.

This has never happened to me on any other console, and I finally got over the habit of touching something else before the console...

I don't know for sure, but for me this sounds like the console has something wrong it it's fader motors... I've been using LS9 (I don't like the console either, but it just keeps on coming to me...) a LOT and I have never had that, not even when my offset has been off...

fwiw,
-Minka-
95% of touring is work, and if you're lucky that 5% of the time is working with gear that are in good shape and according to rider...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2011, 02:53:47 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.