ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: PC Audio Interfaces..  (Read 2255 times)

Blade

PC Audio Interfaces..
« on: March 20, 2005, 09:24:48 PM »

We have a large conference coming up in October this year and we are looking at the feasablity of doing a recording on one of the nights of our live praise and worship (all original songs etc). Last years conference we had lots of enquiries as to where they can buy our music, and at this stage we had to say nowhere! So I was looking into doing a bit of a CD for distribution through local churches and christian music store.

What I was interested in knowing is what kind of interfaces people use. Will probably be looking into something like the presonus firepod (8 mic pres) or MOTU 828MKII (8 line level TRS) Was after any information from people who have used this kind of equipment. I have only used 2 channel interfaces up to this point so it will be a bit of a step up (although one of the other guys on the team has a 8 track DAT recorder and a Yamaha O1V desk we might be able to use). The other (more expensive) option would involve ditching our current main board and buying a Mackie TT24, although I doubt my persuasive skills go quite that far at this time!

The other thing was recording direct to DVD to sell to go along with our CD/Tape packs. Any experience with this? I use a standalone DVD recorder at work when people want there shows recorded which is prob what we will do but in terms of duplication should I just buy a tower? (We own a CDR duplicator which does 8 at a time, I think they make a DVD now)

Thanks,

Jarrad Semmens
Palm City Church
Events Production Director
NT Australia

Bob.Witte

• http://www,cascadingwatersaudio.com
Re: PC Audio Interfaces..
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 11:39:37 AM »

Questions:

1) What "current main board" do you have? Number of channels used for your Praise/Worship group?

2) Will you remix the entire event after recording (individual channels for each mixing board input) or are you recording sub groups to remix or ?

3) If remixing everything, then does your main board have direct outs for each channel?

4) I record individual channels using direct outs (up to 24) and recording into an Alesis HD24 (24 bit, 48Khz sampling). Later, we than playback through the mixer to "remix" (fastest way to get to a CD mix) OR transfer to computer and remix using Sonar or ProTools (slower, but can be much more detailed). The HD24 with a good size hard drive eliminates any PC issues  Rolling Eyes while recording - just hit record and as long as levels are set before hand, I pretty much ignore the recording during the event.

Bob
Cascading Waters Audio
cascadingwatersaudio.com
blog.cascadingwatersaudio.com

Dave Mallon

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 10:53:07 AM »

You could hire the appropriate board (which could cause other problems - familiarity with the gear you're using for one...)  BUT you could rent for a month or more in order to get used to it and that would still be cheaper than buying...

Dave M
Formally Scouse Dave.

GuitarTim

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »

I have just begun experimenting with recording our choir during services this year, and will tell you what I've done and what my impressions are, FWIW.

Our choir has a sound system for services consisting of:

3 overhead condenser mics, one in the front row, one in the middle, and one in the back row

1 condenser mic for the cantor

1 mic inside the (baby grand) piano (short stick)

all going into a Mackie 1402 Vlz Pro mixer, which feeds into the PA system.  The PA has Bose speakers which work really well.  My guitar (a Takamine accoustic/electric) is also plugged into the Mackie.

At Christmas, I recorded the choir using a two-channel Teac analog tape machine and two mics in X-Y config on a tall pole.  Cheap mics, and the sound was okay, but not great.  We made a CD out of it for private distribution to the choir members, as a keepsake.

For Easter, I decided to take it to the next level.  I rented a Fostex VF160 digital multitracker, and connected 6 channels to the direct-outs on the first 6 channels from the Mackie.  This allowed me to record the various parts of the sound with some degree of separation, and no tape hiss or other defects.

I then transferred the recordings to my computer (after the fact) using Cubase System 4 (Cubase SL2 and Steinberg MI4 interface).  The transfer was a LOT of work... two channels at a time, and sync'ing manually.  Also, I recorded 5 services... Palm Sunday, Holy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Vigil and Easter Sunday.  60 individual recordings in all.  What a LOT of work.  But now, I can mix and master it at my leisure, and I'm confident that the quality will be good enough that we can sell CD's to the congregation.

Maybe next year I'll learn enough to make it all a bit less work, or maybe scale it down a bit...

Oh, and BTW, the rental of the Fostex was only about $80 (Canadian) for 10 days...

Tim

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 22 queries.