ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which mic would you get?  (Read 2964 times)

Mark Fausz

Which mic would you get?
« on: March 27, 2005, 06:38:26 AM »

My church is looking into getting 2 or 3 mics. I have been running the sound for two years. I new to these forum just wish I found it sooner. I was going with the Shure SM 58 but I thought I should ask you guys because of my lack of knowledge. The SM58 is around the price the church can afford. Just looking for the best mic for the money.
God Bless,
Mark

Rob Timmerman

Re: Which mic would you get?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »

The best mic for what?  Vocals?  Guitar?  Instruments?  Piano? Rappers?

For vocals, the SM-58 is a standard, there are other mics that are just as good, or better for the same price.  Sennheiser e835/845 comes to mind.

Does it make sense to get fewer better mics right now?  Do you really need the extra mics, or is it just to provide the capability for expansion?  And what mics do you have right now?

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »

Personally, I would go for a Beta 58 or a beta 87a on the vocals. Guitar, that is an easy one.... totally sm57.  Hands downs an excellent mic for guitars. Piano, hmmm that is a little more tricky.  Depending on the type of piano there are many ways to mic a piano.  Best over all, I would say the C-Ducer strips.  this gets you the best headroom, however, they are a little more tricky to EQ.  Now if you really want to go nuts for the piano, when I did sound for David Meece  we used 6 ME1 wired capsule on the bridge of the piano.  This really gets excellent results, however it takes a while to EQ properly and is expensive, let alone eats up 6 channels.  If you have the channels this really sounds nice.

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 05:34:14 PM »

One of my favorite sayings comes to mind. "If you can't do the job with 57's and 58's-you can't do the job".  Yes there are better mics for particular applications, but all around general usage the 57 instrument 58 vocal combination is hard to beat.

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & video
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Jeff White

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 06:38:17 PM »

there are better mics for particular applications, but all around general usage the 57 instrument 58 vocal combination is hard to beat.

totally agree.  If you are looking for "extra" vocal mikes only, consider the Sennheiser 3-packs. Our MoM recently decided they would like the ability to add 4-6 voices on any given day, which emptied our meager mike closet.

We got 3 of the e835s for $170 from Full Compass.  They seem a little brighter at the high end, but blend in fine with our 58s.

Scott Helmke (Scodiddly)

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 07:00:11 PM »

The CAD C195 is worth a look.  It's a vocal condensor, about $70 each, but also useable on instruments.  Very heavy-duty construction, too.
Scott Helmke
TC Furlong, Inc.

Mark Fausz

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 07:34:53 PM »

The new mics would be for vocals. We use are two Peavey 22 and one SM58.
We are in need of more mics.
Someone is willing to donate money for 2-3 more mics.(He is a worship singer). We have one mic for the keyboard player and two worship singers. He is starting worship team.
God Bless,
Mark

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 07:34:53 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 21 queries.