ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Statement of Qualification - Example please  (Read 4374 times)

Rain Jaudon

Statement of Qualification - Example please
« on: March 01, 2009, 03:35:32 pm »

Trying to dig up an example of a Statement of Qualification for an audio install job.  

Its a House of Worship install that I've been designing and re-designing on since last June.  Dates keep getting pushed back and such, but they finally informed me that the construction side went out for bid finally.

Now after months and months of meetings I'm informed that my company may have a verbal agreement with the Church and its Committee, but I don't have anything in writing with the Diocese or the Parish or their project managers.. and they are the ones that make the decision, not the Church and its Committee..

SHESH!

So now ive been given several hoops to jump thru and only a few days to comply.

A statement of qualification and a proposal to do the work are two of these hurdles.

Anyone have some examples of these to put me on the right track?

They also want Performance Prediction papers with figures on Room Noise Levels, RT-60 guesses, loudspeaker range and volumes, and other noise coefficients.   Great, but they keep changing the floors from stone tile to carpet, the pews have not been picked out yet, and they've tossed out nearly 90% of the acoustician's suggestions on room treatments.

Lastly the project manager wants a block diagram on how the entire system is connected and operates.  Until I get an awarded contract signed, I feel this is a "trade secret".  I can explain to him that I know how to connect and dial in the system, but by providing him a road map I fully expect to have my design stolen with no compensation.  So for now I have requested that he be more specific on what he needs from my company on that matter.

Thanks for any tidbits of advice.  
We've pretty much stuck to sub-$100k jobs since the company started and have never dealt with such things.
I've also had a very very long (and positive) working relationship with this particular Church.  

Thanks again guys
Rain
Endorsing Artist for CA Guitars - Lafayette, LA
http://www.CAguitars.com

Multitude Audio
Subcontracting under Magnolia Music Center
Audio Visual Installation and Service
Gulfport, Ocean Springs and Pascagula, MS

Charlie Zureki

Re: Statement of Qualification - Example please
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:05:20 pm »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 14:35

Trying to dig up an example of a Statement of Qualification for an audio install job.  

Its a House of Worship install that I've been designing and re-designing on since last June.  Dates keep getting pushed back and such, but they finally informed me that the construction side went out for bid finally.

Now after months and months of meetings I'm informed that my company may have a verbal agreement with the Church and its Committee, but I don't have anything in writing with the Diocese or the Parish or their project managers.. and they are the ones that make the decision, not the Church and its Committee..

SHESH!

So now ive been given several hoops to jump thru and only a few days to comply.

A statement of qualification and a proposal to do the work are two of these hurdles.

Anyone have some examples of these to put me on the right track?

They also want Performance Prediction papers with figures on Room Noise Levels, RT-60 guesses, loudspeaker range and volumes, and other noise coefficients.   Great, but they keep changing the floors from stone tile to carpet, the pews have not been picked out yet, and they've tossed out nearly 90% of the acoustician's suggestions on room treatments.

Lastly the project manager wants a block diagram on how the entire system is connected and operates.  Until I get an awarded contract signed, I feel this is a "trade secret".  I can explain to him that I know how to connect and dial in the system, but by providing him a road map I fully expect to have my design stolen with no compensation.  So for now I have requested that he be more specific on what he needs from my company on that matter.

Thanks for any tidbits of advice.  
We've pretty much stuck to sub-$100k jobs since the company started and have never dealt with such things.
I've also had a very very long (and positive) working relationship with this particular Church.  

Thanks again guys
Rain

Hello Rain,

Part of what they're asking is impossible based on their constant changing of building materials .. the system performance predictions and room acoustics...

The other big sticking point I'd have a hard time with, is furnishing any prints, block diagrams, equipment lists, check lists, etc... without a firm commitment and payment.

Remind the "powers", that the bible says to pay a man his due.
 (find the correct quote)

I have had more problems with houses of worship than ANY other customers... they always seem to want everything for free.

Be prepared to walk away... there may be a "preferred" contractor they're talking to.

Cheers,
Hammer

Be prepared, you'll need it!

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 06:38:19 pm »

Agreed with you Charlie.

I want to add one more point.  Regarding room noise levels.

We have a fairly large church we put a bunch of sound systems in-no video or lighting-others provided those.

In the main sanc the HVAC noise is around NC30. Smile   That is fine-and actually very good for most modern construction.

HOWEVER-when they turn the projectors on, the NC jumps to around NC60 Shocked

Turn on the 70 or so moving lights and it gets even worse.

Sometimes what people want is not realistic.

It should be the job of the acoustical consultant to provide such things as RT60-noise etc.  The sound countractor should be able to provide estimated SPLs-coverage devation etc.

I would not provide ANY drawings-equipment lists etc without at least a design agreement-contract-deposit etc.
For every complicated question-there is a simple- easy to understand WRONG answer.

Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.
Danley Sound Labs

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »

Yea, I agree guys.

I've worked with this Church for many years now.  Everyone there is on our side.  Its a retired electrical engineer, that FEMA is paying, who seems to be the one putting the wrench in the gears.

For 6 months last year I worked with only the Church and the Architect firm.  With the help of my reps. we designed a great Iconyx system that blended with the tight visual constraints and addressed the horrible potential acoustics of the room to the best humanly possible.

The acoustical tech. told them how to combat noise and treat the room as well as HVAC, window casings, etc.  The architect threw 100% of it out the window.  (now, 8 months later some of its being put back in)  Acoustical tech also stated that the facility wide AUDIO (only) system would run them close to $300k.  After 4 months of interviews, grocery lists, wish lists, and other consulting I had a facility wide system with 4 fixed audio systems, 8 LCD TVs, TPZ cameras, distributive audio, a portable audio system, a conference room system, and every other bell and whistle they wanted.  And it all came out to $270k.

SO I showed them the bargain they were getting and reminded them of the benefits of going with a local contractor that has been their go-to guy for the past several years.

Church committee loved it!   Diocese didn't, and hired the retired electrical engineer to be project manager and get the costs WAY down.

In the mean time, the architects needed bluprinted conduit runs, insertion locations, weight requirements for anything getting flown or hung, power panel maps, etc etc so they could give the other skilled tradesmen something solid to create their bids off of.  SO I spent a good while doing those things..

THEN the project mgr. gets hot n heavy into this and in November asks me to totally redesign the system for half the cost.
TVs were pulled, camera was pulled, 2 of the fixed audio systems were pulled, etc.  I've taken $20,000 of my design and install fee off the total bid for them.  And I've dropped my margin on the gear to as low as the store will allow.  Every room on the facility wide bid is below or matches the project mgr's requested figure except for the sanctuary.  And i feel that one will go up a bit as they choir now wants either an Aviom system or a monitor mixer on the platform. (and im sure other change orders will come up)

Project manager wants me to  give a quote stating "maximum cost is not to exceed this...".  

Back in November I sent out a Narrative description of my design to the Church Committee and to the project Manager.  Hoping this would best explain how my design addressed their needs and concerns.  Someone sent a copy of it to the Architect's Firm and the audio and video system went out for BID!  
Again, I've worked for nearly a decade with this Church.  As anyone on the committee or in the church and they would state that I was installing the system.  But nothing was in writing.
And, it seems I didn't put a notice on every page of my Narrative stating that the design was only for the Church's use and that it could not be forwarded on with out permission..
Thats how they got around the issue of it going out with the bid..
So I've been told anyhow.

But again, I agree.  With these extra hoops I've been asked to jump thru I am very hesitant to give any more of my design to this project manager.  He states that if I don't happen to get awarded the install, that I will be paid a design fee.  

What do you charge for something you've spent 8 months on?  I've passed on jobs just so I could devote more time to this project!
And I certainly don't want to sue the Diocese or the Church if they refuse to pay me for my time and design.

Can ya sense my frustration? HAHA!

Rain - Off soap box!

Multitude Audio

Duane Massey

• http://www.ozknozz.com
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:20:08 pm »

Rain, tell them (in writing) that you will provide the documentation they are requesting for a design fee ( a hefty fee). If they pass on this, then tell them politely that you are done with them until they pay up. If the church is on your side, they will probably still come back to you, but don't back up any further, as this will only make for a bad situation with the potential to get much worse.

Benn there, done that. It's better to walk away, as they may come running after you.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas, USA

Brad Weber

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 10:23:56 pm »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 15:35

I find this request out of line, especially for a project of the scope noted.  If they had an acoustician, then they should be providing that information.  Being potentially responsible for predictions made without having a contract is unprofessional and poor business practice.

Rain Jaudon wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 15:35

He states that if I don't happen to get awarded the install, that I will be paid a design fee.

If they are going to be paying for the services whether you get the bid or not, then why not contract that separately?  They seem to be asking you to do the work and take the responsibility for the system design on a 'handshake', yet have already shown you just how much they value handshake agreements.  If they want detailed design documents and predictions then tell them that you will be happy to do this in a reasonable time after they agree to pay you for these professional design services.  Given how they have already responded to verbal or 'gentleman's' agreements, it seems totally reasonable to not do anything without a contract.
Brad Weber
muse Audio Video

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:12:59 pm »

Glad to hear that my gut feeling is not off base here.  Frustrates me to no end the way this has played out!

To have so many years of incredible jobs under my belt and then the project mgr on this one practically screws me - really stinks.  Of course, no one at the Church even knew who this guy was until they were told one morning that he was taking over the project.  I think he has delayed the job by at least 4 months but he has done some good in other areas of the project.  

I was going to shoot this out in private messages but might as well toss it out for pubic debate.

What sort of figure would you ask for in this case for design and consult?

Again, I've had this on my desk since at least June or July of last year.  I quit logging actual hours after the first month.  It was getting crazy how much time I spent researching the systems and qualifying what each room needed.

Total system cost including labor, materials and sales tax was originally $304,797.65.  This included a fixed sanctuary audio system with PTZ camera feed for entire campus, portable audio system for the choir, LCD in the music room, stand alone conference room audio and LCD video system, wall mounted LCD tv and dvd players in the kitchen and the nursery(also on the network), and a Community Center with three stand alone audio systems and three 60" LCD TVs, garden speakers and the installation of a donated Carillon system in the 65' tall Bell tower.  Equipment is great quality:  Renkus Heinz Iconyx, Biamp Nexia, LabGruppen, Audix, Tannoy, Roland V-mixing system, sequential Juice Goose power and filtering.

Besides researching the components, I've mapped out insertions for floor pockets, wall mounted Lpads and VS/8 Biamp controls, conduit runs thru the entire campus, and a few other odds and ends that the architect needed.  So the scope of the labor has been extensive already.

What sort of figure would you be asking for at this point?

Multitude Audio

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 11:54:11 pm »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 22:12

Glad to hear that my gut feeling is not off base here.  Frustrates me to no end the way this has played out!

To have so many years of incredible jobs under my belt and then the project mgr on this one practically screws me - really stinks.  Of course, no one at the Church even knew who this guy was until they were told one morning that he was taking over the project.  I think he has delayed the job by at least 4 months but he has done some good in other areas of the project.  

I was going to shoot this out in private messages but might as well toss it out for pubic debate.

What sort of figure would you ask for in this case for design and consult?

Again, I've had this on my desk since at least June or July of last year.  I quit logging actual hours after the first month.  It was getting crazy how much time I spent researching the systems and qualifying what each room needed.

Total system cost including labor, materials and sales tax was originally $304,797.65.  This included a fixed sanctuary audio system with PTZ camera feed for entire campus, portable audio system for the choir, LCD in the music room, stand alone conference room audio and LCD video system, wall mounted LCD tv and dvd players in the kitchen and the nursery(also on the network), and a Community Center with three stand alone audio systems and three 60" LCD TVs, garden speakers and the installation of a donated Carillon system in the 65' tall Bell tower.  Equipment is great quality:  Renkus Heinz Iconyx, Biamp Nexia, LabGruppen, Audix, Tannoy, Roland V-mixing system, sequential Juice Goose power and filtering.

Besides researching the components, I've mapped out insertions for floor pockets, wall mounted Lpads and VS/8 Biamp controls, conduit runs thru the entire campus, and a few other odds and ends that the architect needed.  So the scope of the labor has been extensive already.

What sort of figure would you be asking for at this point?

Hello,
 with all of the fits and starts and baloney ... I'd ask for $ 39,137.00  for your equipment lists, block diagrams, any prints, any parts/equipment/conduit/wiring already installed, and meetings/conferences.  

They took advantage of your good nature. You deserve to be paid. You should have logged all of your hours and expenses for backing any of your labor invoices.

Good Luck,

Hammer

Rain Jaudon

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 12:07:22 am »

FYI - that total system cost went down to $231,175.65 after two re-designs and component removals.  

They decided it was cheaper to buy the TVs at Best Buy and I'd install em.  (get this - Project Manager still doesn't see the need for me to charge more than an hour's labor to install these LCD's - as I'm "just plugging them in".. shesh)

Project Mgr says the Church will handle the PTZ camera purchase in the Sanctuary but I still need to bid for installing it and distributing it thru the entire campus.

The portable system for the Choir got cut drastically when they decided they'd just keep using the mix match of random monitors and mains that were donated over the years.

And the Community Center now only has 1 Audio system and 1 potential LCD TV.

In Feb. 2009 the system was bid at $231,175.55.

As of today I've strangled it down to $194,975.84 lock stock and barrel.

Multitude Audio

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 12:17:23 am »

Rain Jaudon wrote on Sun, 01 March 2009 23:07

FYI - that total system cost went down to $231,175.65 after two re-designs and component removals.  

They decided it was cheaper to buy the TVs at Best Buy and I'd install em.  (get this - Project Manager still doesn't see the need for me to charge more than an hour's labor to install these LCD's - as I'm "just plugging them in".. shesh)

Project Mgr says the Church will handle the PTZ camera purchase in the Sanctuary but I still need to bid for installing it and distributing it thru the entire campus.

The portable system for the Choir got cut drastically when they decided they'd just keep using the mix match of random monitors and mains that were donated over the years.

And the Community Center now only has 1 Audio system and 1 potential LCD TV.

In Feb. 2009 the system was bid at $231,175.55.

As of today I've strangled it down to $194,975.84 lock stock and barrel.

See what I mean?   Next they'll be expecting your labor and the equipment for free.  

Do yourself a favor.... send them a bill and walk away. In this situation you WILL LOSE.  If they actually proceed with this project and something is not "right" ... you will be the fall guy. There's too many unknowns in this scenario.

one last thought.... have you "cut" anything that you thought they absolutely needed?  If so.... you have the final answer to this project's outcome.... it will be crap-tastic.

Hold your head high, and say "good bye!"

Hammer
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 18 queries.