ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please help to make a decision  (Read 2656 times)

Randy Smith

Please help to make a decision
« on: March 11, 2005, 01:11:24 pm »

I have two questions

Our church is putting on a big passion play.
Right now we use a 32 channel board sub-grouped it 6 to 8 channels into a recording board. (we are using 25 channels for the play)
I have a 24 channel board that I can bring in and hook up via direct outs into my line ins.

Here is the first question

Rob Warren

Re: Please help to make a decision
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 02:11:34 pm »

Pardon my ignorance but what is the funky symbol you keep using.  Are you trying to say RCA to 1/4"  connector or something else?
Well, regardless, it should be okay.  It's always better to go balanced but unbalanced can be just fine.  Sometimes using the adaptor thing can be troublesome just because it's another possibility for a bad connection.  
    Some consoles have unbalanced direct outs so using a balanced cable will not help.  Since you are only talking a few feet I would think it would be fine.  If nothing else try it out ahead of time so if something is not right you still have time to purchase or rent better cables.  
   To me it also depends on how important the event.  If this is a high priority then it's worth finding out if your console has balanced D.O.'s and go get the proper cables.
   That's as far as the actual cable goes anyway.  Other issues maybe with using the Direct Outs.  i.e.  pre/post fader  pre/post eq  
Another thing would be that I find it better to mix for recording somewhere away from the live PA.  I realize this is harder to accomplish but the final results would be better, I understand though sometimes that's the best you can do.  Hope this helps,

Rob
Rob

Randy Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2005, 03:14:49 pm »

Yes that is one quarter of an inch. I don

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2005, 03:55:34 pm »

Direct outs are decent, but you need to check with the sending board and see if it has balanced outputs. Assuming that it does, it would be a mistake to plug an unbalance cable into it and then the other board. Hum City. I know where you could buy the cables youd need for 140 (cheep) but they are out of stock until april 7th, so that might not do you any good.

I havent miced an oboe, so can't help you there, but expiriment for us.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Rob Warren

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2005, 08:12:43 am »

Out of all the mics you mentioned, the SM81 should have the best results.  
It never hurts to experiment and try of few, but a small or large diaphram condenser mic would be my choice.  Obviously there are better condenser mics out there but if that's what you already own I would use it.  
I have a couple of them I use for micing children's choirs and stuff for special events.  
What I would do is have the oboe player play for you a little bit when you mic it.  Listen to it acoustically and what it sounds like standing right there next to it.  Then try and reproduce that sound through the mic.

Rob
Rob

Tom Young

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2005, 07:23:11 am »

Hands down I would use the SM81 for oboe.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Randy Smith

Thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2005, 06:07:22 pm »

Thank you for the replys.

I hooked up the wires today (1/4 to rca 8 channel snakes with 1/4 to rca adaptors to make then 1/4 to 1/4). Luckily no hum. Very Happy

Before next year I will make or buy splitters to do it right.

As I anticipated and with your approval I will use the sm81 on the oboe.

Thanks -- it is great to be able to come here when not sure and either get it confirmed or find the right way.

Randy

Randy Smith

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 06:54:44 pm »

Well We had our Passion Play , and I am writing this to those who helped(and those who care) to inform of the outcome of this thread. So unlookers can know for future reference if this info contained within this thread is of use or hog-wash.

The SM-81 worked GREAT on the Oboe.   About one third the way up the shaft  from the bell and about one foot away.
Little to no EQ needed and it sounds exactly thru recording as it does standing right in front of it.
The very little EQ I applied, I believe was only needed to beef up the bleed into other orchestra mics (as it sounded thin with the solo 81 muted and when turned back up that thin sound still present) when solo Sm-81 was PFL

Tom Young

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 07:20:20 pm »

Thanks for letting us know how it all worked. Glad it went so well.

I would always go the 'proper' splitter route as well.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 07:21:35 pm »

Being an ex (but still like to play for myself) oboe player, I would like prefer the 81 hands down.  Position is important to get the proper blend. Mic it around the center of the instrument, maybe towards the reed ( you may have to play around a bit)-this may be difficult due to where the music stand may be-so you may have to mic it from the side.

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 07:21:35 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 23 queries.