ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Upgrades to me church  (Read 3553 times)

chasetower

New Upgrades to me church
« on: March 26, 2005, 11:47:56 AM »

Hey all!
We are going to be upgrading FOH at church in about 2 weeks. Our current equipment is 17+ years old and its time for an upgrade. Getting all new TC effects, DBX 166XL compression BSS Gates, BSS FDS-388 Omnidrive system processor, a new Ramtech Concert 54 Snake and Split system and a Midas Heritage 3000 44+4 console. This is our first phase. The monitor system and stage re-design will be Phase 2. And finally Phase 3 will be the PA which I am currently looking at EV's new compact line array. I have been hearing nothing but great raves about it. I love the X-Line and XLC, so I am sure that it will sound just as great as the others. As far as monitors go, it will be Sennheiser EW3000 G2 and Shure P6HW Ears and Radian Microwedge 12 wedges.
Just wanted to let you all out there know about my church. Have a great day everyone. Thanks for reading.

Chase

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
Re: New Upgrades to me church
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 03:20:05 PM »

Sounds nice.  Ilike the XLvc system when it was demo'd.  Nexo wants to come in now and show off the Geo-S sometime soon.  Congrats on the Midas.  

Dan Brown

• http://www.myspace.com/thesuperspike
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 06:58:33 PM »

I would beg the Nexo rep come in.  The Geo S rig is amazing, it will blow your socks off.  Ask them to bring the CD18 in along with the CD12.  The CD12 just doesn't cut the mustard by itself.
I haven't used the XVLc, but have used the XLINE and XLC several times.  I would take any NEXO rig over the EV anyday.  The Nexo stuff rocks and is very price competative.
my .02
Dan Brown
REACH Communications

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 08:05:50 PM »

chasetower wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 16:47

Hey all!
We are going to be upgrading FOH at church in about 2 weeks. Our current equipment is 17+ years old and its time for an upgrade. Getting all new TC effects, DBX 166XL compression BSS Gates, BSS FDS-388 Omnidrive system processor, a new Ramtech Concert 54 Snake and Split system and a Midas Heritage 3000 44+4 console. This is our first phase. The monitor system and stage re-design will be Phase 2. And finally Phase 3 will be the PA which I am currently looking at EV's new compact line array. I have been hearing nothing but great raves about it. I love the X-Line and XLC, so I am sure that it will sound just as great as the others. As far as monitors go, it will be Sennheiser EW3000 G2 and Shure P6HW Ears and Radian Microwedge 12 wedges.
Just wanted to let you all out there know about my church. Have a great day everyone. Thanks for reading.

Chase

did you get the h3000? how much did you pay??

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 08:33:48 PM »

Not to burst your bubble, but is a line array the best choice for your church?  Many time people choose a system based on a loudpeakers' sound and not whether it is the proper speaker for the job-ie vertical and horizontal coverage and in a church-astetics.  You need to define those parameters first and then figure what speakers will fit that bill.  While the latest sports car may get great reviews, if you really need to carry 6 people or carry a ton of dirt is that the right choice?  Your particular needs come first-before performance of individual devices-espically speakers.

Before you spend money on a processor, you might want to consider your future needs and get a processor with more ins and outs, or else you will be spending more money when you get a new speaker system.  It would be better to get a proper sized processor for your future needs now-so as to save money in the long run.

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Dan Brown

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 09:47:42 PM »

Ivan,
I understand that you are a system designer.  In this situation, I would think that if they are spending the money on a Heritage, they will probably search all their options as far as speakers.  Most "good" line array systems can be adapted(coverage patterns)to the venue, just like any other array.  Horizontal Coverage can be adapted and is different per manufacturers(Milo 60,90,120).  The vertical coverage is also different per manufacturer and can be adapted also, just like standard Horizontal or Point Source arrays.  In my opinion, if you can get good coverage patterns with a line array, you will in general have less comb filtering, which allows for better speech intelligibility.  Which is much needed in churches.  In my opinion, it is just as easy for someone to screw up coverage patterns on standard point source array systems as line array systems.  Obviously every venue/church is different and needs different attention.  Just keep in mind most line array systems can be adapted just like any other speaker system, most of the time with better results.

Thanks for your time.
Dan Brown
REACH Communications

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 12:31:00 PM »

Just because they are choosing a Heritage does not mean they are or have searched all of the proper options.

In fact, for most church usage, I probably wouldn't choose a heritage, opting instead for a middle to upper class digital mixing console (pm5d, innovason, etc). This does not mean they haven't researched it, just to say that simply because significant money is being spent, that doesn't mean that it has always been properly researched.

But beyond that, 9 times out of 10 in an installed environment, I find that a traditional system is better suited to the room than a LA. There are of course applications for a LA, and good ones at that, but it is far overrated. Same as the MA-12 is very limited in usage, but good where appropriate.

Karl P
Audio Team Leader - CCH

Mike Sveda

• http://www.cohglory.org/Sunday@7/index.html
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 02:20:11 PM »

Kinda hijacking here, but after having the XLvc in our facility it became apparent that a Line Array is the next step when we upgrade our system.  I stood on the far side of the balcony and could hear the stereo image.  Our venue has a 180 degree auditorium.  A 120 degree LA filled much better than our center cluster of KF695i's.  There was much more even coverage throughout all the main seating and balconies.  
We would not need our balcony fill speakers at all. It was amazing.

Dan Brown

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 05:23:08 PM »

Like I said, "I would THINK", and that is MY opinion.  I would agree with the "traditional array comment", but only because you can gernerally get away with fewer less expensive cabinets.
If you reread my post I don't say that a line array is always the best choice, I just said it is "coverage adaptable".  As far as the digital console, it is again user dependent.  I would much rather take a midas if I didn't need quickly changable paramaters.  If you are doing drama and/or traditional/comtemporary services in the same day it is very helpful.  I will take a midas sound over the Yami any day.
Dan Brown
REACH Communications

chasetower

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »

Not yet, soon here in a couple weeks.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 09:28:21 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 22 queries.