ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: acoustic board placment  (Read 2410 times)

mutinywithin

acoustic board placment
« on: March 25, 2005, 06:48:02 PM »

my church is building a new gym with a new sound system in it.
the gym is a normal sized gym but maybe a little bit smaller and.the stage is located on the one of the side walls and speakers are obviously faceing away from the stage. i wanted to hear some responses on how you should place acoustic board type things to renforce the sound.
jason

Ivan Beaver

Re: acoustic board placment
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 07:34:14 PM »

The first thing that I would consider in a normal gym setting would be sound absorbtion to reduce the reflections and RT60, rather than looking to amplify them.  If you are looking for a better sound in the room, you should put something like K13 or Tectum or lapendary in the ceiling and 2" 6lb panels around the walls.  You can also use split block cinder block for the walls if it is not to late.  

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Phil Ouellette

Re: acoustic board placement
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 10:19:13 AM »

It's easier to list all the places the console shouldn't go:
- In a small room off the main floor with a window to see through.
- In the attic above or beside the stage.
- In a balcony on the opposite wall (this is the least bad solution although it will still cause you problems).

All of these locations share one common problem.  The person mixing can't hear the same sound that the congregation does.  This is sort of like cooking without being allowed to taste the food.  Or driving a car while facing the back seat.

The mixing console needs to be placed so the operator can hear the same sound as the congregation.  Ideally this is in the congregational seating area.  A gymnatorium makes doing this with a permanent booth very difficult "that would have been an easy layup except for having to hurdle the sound booth".  One solution that can work well is a portable (on wheels) setup.  Mount the FOH gear in a roll around rack, that way you can move it out into the seating area where it belongs during a service and move it out of the way when you are trying to use the room as a gym.  The equipment is better protected and you get full use of the room.

Phil

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 01:43:54 PM »

Phil Ouellette wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 15:19

It's easier to list all the places the console shouldn't go:
- In a small room off the main floor with a window to see through.
- In the attic above or beside the stage.
- In a balcony on the opposite wall (this is the least bad solution although it will still cause you problems).

All of these locations share one common problem.  The person mixing can't hear the same sound that the congregation does.  This is sort of like cooking without being allowed to taste the food.  Or driving a car while facing the back seat.

The mixing console needs to be placed so the operator can hear the same sound as the congregation.  Ideally this is in the congregational seating area.  A gymnatorium makes doing this with a permanent booth very difficult "that would have been an easy layup except for having to hurdle the sound booth".  One solution that can work well is a portable (on wheels) setup.  Mount the FOH gear in a roll around rack, that way you can move it out into the seating area where it belongs during a service and move it out of the way when you are trying to use the room as a gym.  The equipment is better protected and you get full use of the room.

Phil

Actually, it is a very simple FOH setup.  I have designed installed many church systems in gyms.  you build a rolling FOH  stand with two guide rails so the rig can pull straight in and out.  Get two custom double wide barn doors to secure it and there you go.  All the cabling is attached via umbilical cord system.  easily you can roll this out 20-25 feet from the doors.  Also it is the best in security.  Take 15 seconds to get this out and running.

Mad Mixer

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 02:20:50 PM »

I keep my snake in the bottom of my roll out mixer.  plug in and go!!!

Later Reggie

Ivan Beaver

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 05:39:08 PM »

There seems to be a bit of confusion here-Do you (as the other resonders seems to think) mean the location of the mixing console or acoustic panels used to direct and reflect the sound?

Ivan Beaver
Can I have some more talent in the monitors--PLEASE?

Ivan Beaver
dB Audio & Video Inc.

Phil Ouellette

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 07:57:40 PM »

Ivan Beaver wrote on Sun, 27 March 2005 17:39

There seems to be a bit of confusion here-Do you (as the other resonders seems to think) mean the location of the mixing console or acoustic panels used to direct and reflect the sound?

Ivan Beaver

Hi Ivan,

Now that's an interesting wrinkle.  Yup, putting those sound adsorbing panels in a glassed-in room off the main sanctuary wouldn't work so well either.  Laughing

Phil

Kurt

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 09:10:16 PM »

Here's where we have the board at the church I mix at.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72/fldrummer/DSCN7097.jpg

It's pretty much a guessing game and running up and down the stairs  alot to get the mix right. I would like to have a roll around foh to roll on the floor but thats pretty much impossible. Theirs nowhere to store or move a 40ch board and the FOH gear and I also have to be in contact with the video and light guys but we don't have intercom (yet)  

David Kaiser

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 07:47:31 AM »

Rechargeable frs radios with headsets.
I upgraded from a Shure Promaster 705 to a Mackie 1604VLZ. If anybody has a Soundcraft FX16 or APB ProRack House they don't need, I'll gladly switch.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2005, 07:47:31 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.