ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peavey IPR pricing: can this possibly be right?  (Read 40462 times)

Loren Aguey

Re: Peavey IPR pricing: can this possibly be right?
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2010, 06:16:14 PM »

Hi JD,

Sorry if you've answered this somewhere else but is there an ETA on when the rest of the IPR line will be available? And I've read conflicting reports on whether or not they can be bridged.

Are you able to confirm a yay or nay on bridging?
I like my snare sound like I like my women...fat and punchy.

John Roberts {JR}

Re: amplifier sound
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2010, 06:50:36 PM »

Martin Queckenstedt wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 16:52

I don't ever recall anyone being able to successfully identify an amplifier in an ABX test.  Does anyone know if this has ever been accomplished?  I have only heard about studies that proved otherwise.

Sorry I didn't mean to reopen this old debate.
========

It depends on how you define the trial. If the amps are different enough, even I will hear a difference.  Laughing

JR

https://www.resotune.com/

Tune it, or don't play it...
-----

JD Bennett

Re: amplifier sound
« Reply #92 on: February 27, 2010, 07:01:09 PM »

Martin Queckenstedt wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 16:52

I don't ever recall anyone being able to successfully identify an amplifier in an ABX test.  Does anyone know if this has ever been accomplished?  I have only heard about studies that proved otherwise.

Hi Martin
The most elaborate one I've experienced was conducted in the Peavey auditorium by one of our audiofile transducer engineers.  I believe JR was present for that one. A UK based engineer was trying to sell us a magic design that could be built for half the price of a Crest CA12 and supposedly sounded better. Included in the test was a popular well reputed comparable powered brand X model. The auditorium was filled with Peavey employees that were handed score cards and a pencil. The Crest was compared to brand X. The "magic" amp was also compared to brand X. The Crest and magic amp were then compared to each other. Based on typical ABX test results, you would expect all three amps to have had comparable scores. They did not. During my retail years in Austin I observed that the musicians (drummers typically excluded) and studio (& better live engineers) could immediately pick things out that those not making a living with their ears could not. Peavey is a company full of musicians, so I expect that explains the score results. I'd be interested in hearing the results of any ABX test conducted by people that listen for a living. The ability to hear details is an acquired skill.  

Regards

JD Bennett

« Reply #93 on: February 27, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »

Loren Aguey wrote on Sat, 27 February 2010 17:16

Hi JD,

Sorry if you've answered this somewhere else but is there an ETA on when the rest of the IPR line will be available? And I've read conflicting reports on whether or not they can be bridged.

Are you able to confirm a yay or nay on bridging?

Hi Loren

The top two models can not be bridged, so we elected to not make it a feature on the lower units. There is a simple workaround that requires patching the two inputs and connecting to 1+ of chA and 1- of chB. Phone me and I'll elaborate. The 3000 & 6000 designs are finished, but component delivery times are hitting six months on some semiconductors. It's a daily guessing game as to when we get a break.

Regards

Loren Aguey

« Reply #94 on: February 28, 2010, 04:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the update JD.

The component delivery woes remind me of when I was trying to get an SP12m monitor rig in one of my clubs. The dealer kept telling me that Peavey was waiting on parts, after a few months I had to cancel the order and go with something else.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

« Reply #95 on: February 28, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »

Loren Aguey wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 15:59

The component delivery woes remind me of when I was trying to get an SP12m monitor rig in one of my clubs. The dealer kept telling me that Peavey was waiting on parts, after a few months I had to cancel the order and go with something else.

I can't speak to your previous situation, but I can say with pretty good certainty that the component sourcing problems Peavey is having aren't limited to Peavey.  We live in an era of thin channels where having inventory sitting around in warehouses equates to lost money, so when demand goes down, supplies stack up, and new production stops.  When the demand recovers, The remaining inventories empty faster than the manufacturers can scale up production again.

I'm waiting for a non-audio product from another vendor who is experiencing the same problems.  He can get a couple dozen parts no problem, but getting the ten thousand he needs is turning out to be pretty tough right now.

Edit: spelling

Loren Aguey

« Reply #96 on: March 02, 2010, 01:06:34 AM »

TJ (Tom) Cornish wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 18:37

Loren Aguey wrote on Sun, 28 February 2010 15:59

I can't speak to your previous situation, but I can say with pretty good certainty that the component sourcing problems Peavey is having aren't limited to Peavey.  We live in an era of thin channels where having inventory sitting around in warehouses equates to lost money, so when demand goes down, supplies stack up, and new production stops.  When the demand recovers, The remaining inventories empty faster than the manufacturers can scale up production again.

I'm waiting for a non-audio product from another vendor who is experiencing the same problems.  He can get a couple dozen parts no problem, but getting the ten thousand he needs is turning out to be pretty tough right now.

Edit: spelling

Yeah that makes sense. It probably didn't help that I was in Canada at the time. It still struck me as very odd that a small order of 3 sp12m's and 1 sp15m took months and months to acquire.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 18 queries.