ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Chauvet Rain specs for individual LEDs  (Read 1292 times)

Matt Dittman

• http://attagurlrex.com
Chauvet Rain specs for individual LEDs
« on: February 17, 2009, 08:43:08 PM »

Does anyone know what the specs are of the R/G/B LEDs that are used in the Chauvet LEDrain 56s?

I have a light that has several burned out LEDs... It was dropped, and started acting up. Some LEDs never came on, and I think it's the cause of the DMX going haywire. The Rains are on one tree, and when they'd start acting up everything downstream went haywire as well. I probably burned out a few attempting to troubleshoot as well... as cheap as LEDs are, I thought I'd just replace all LEDs that are out and see if that fixes it.

I know they're 10mm, but not sure of the brightness.

Rob Timmerman

Re: Chauvet Rain specs for individual LEDs
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »

Matt Dittman wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 20:43

Does anyone know what the specs are of the R/G/B LEDs that are used in the Chauvet LEDrain 56s?

I have a light that has several burned out LEDs... It was dropped, and started acting up. Some LEDs never came on, and I think it's the cause of the DMX going haywire. The Rains are on one tree, and when they'd start acting up everything downstream went haywire as well. I probably burned out a few attempting to troubleshoot as well... as cheap as LEDs are, I thought I'd just replace all LEDs that are out and see if that fixes it.

I know they're 10mm, but not sure of the brightness.

Failed LEDs are not the cause of your data problems.  LEDs fail in one of a couple ways: open, short, or may suffer a reduction in output.  Massive overcurrent typically causes the LED to fail open, excessive heat will cause dimming and eventual failure, and a failure of the die will cause it the fail short.  Fortunately, the diode test function on a DMM will tell you if your LED is good or not.

Given that you started experiencing data problems after the light was dropped, I'd start by checking for mechanical damage.  Broken connectors, cracked circuit boards, broken solder joints, things of that nature.  The RS-485 receiver chip is a particular thing to check, as are the power supply and signal ground connections within the fixture.

Matt Dittman

• http://attagurlrex.com
Re: Chauvet Rain specs for individual LEDs
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:20:23 PM »

I believe I found the cause of the DMX problem; the plastic connector was loose (that attaches to the DIP switches inside the fixture).

I had them running for quite a while and moved them around quite a bit with no flickering or anomalies; however I still have lights out. While I was testing continuity, I think I burned out a few more.   Embarassed

Anyone have the specs on those LED bulbs?   Laughing
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 21 queries.