ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Studio Live - merged  (Read 31546 times)

Evan F. Hunter

Re: Studiolive Shipped
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2009, 12:51:05 AM »

David A. Parker wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 14:51

Evan Hunter wrote on Sat, 14 February 2009 13:42

I have never found a need for recall, but im also not doing the amount of shows/size of shows as some of you. ...

Any time you do multiple bands, recall is  a really nice thing to have. Once you get used to having it, you'll never want to be without it.

Haha I see and get the logic, completely, but as I said for MY needs. I'm still a small timer. Anytime I have had more than one band we have a large enough analogue board and cross patch... Now I'm not saying I would not like to have them, its just that I dont think they were trying to sell this to sound techs doing large gigs with multiple bands and such. Like a said, kinda a digital 1604... No one wants to mix on one, does it get the job done? most the time. If I was a little bit larger and did not have a little home project studio, no I would look right past it.
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2009, 08:10:33 AM »

look closely at the 01V96 for the same money before you spend your money. You'll have to spend a little more to get separate digital channels into your computer, but those interfaces have really come down in price. The '96 has one adat connection built in, and one slot for another, or several other interfaces. May be that the studiolive is just what you need, but look closely before you jump. Here's a list of the yamaha cards that can be used with the 01V96:

http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/products/interfaces/ygdai_card s/myguide.php?model=2#checksheet
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

TJ (Tom) Cornish

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2009, 09:28:10 AM »

I agree - compared to the 01v96, the StudioLive looks pretty silly for live sound.  But take that for what it's worth, as I also think the Midas Venice looks pretty silly compared to the 01v96 for what I do.

I just did a coffee shop gig last night where I used the house's lousy system and just carried in one of my 01v96's.  I unplugged the outputs of the house's  board, plugged into my 01v96 and had compressors, effects, and most importantly serious EQ on EVERYTHING.  If I didn't have digital, my carry-in would have gone from 60lbs to 260lbs.  If I didn't have moving faders, I would have spent half the gig dialing knobs for adjusting the send levels of everything.

Good luck Presonus.

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »

I will take your guys advice and take a look into it  Cool
Also if you were mentioning the Venice because of my other thread a while back, i will not be getting the Venice. I had some hands on time with it... Dont want to take over the thread but im keeping my options open.
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"

Hal Wheeler

Presonus Studiolive w/submix for extra channels?
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »

Hello all, I have done a fair amount of research and think I've found the board I am going to purchase... A Presonus Studiolive. My main reasoning behind this purchase is as follows:
1. most of my gigs are at small local venues i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. where there is minimal space and minimal setup time... the recall, built in processing, etc. appeal to me for these types of shows
2. I am putting together a home project recording studio and the studiolive seems like it would be a nice interface for that...
3. I rarely have any need for more than sixteen channels... but...

Here's my question: I have a small 12 channel peavey board that I use for studio work mostly and I am wondering if when I do need more than sixteen channels, I could sub-mix the drums on the peavey, and send them to a single channel on the presonus (or two if stereo panning is necessary)

I don't know much about submixing, and I am wondering if this would work for the two times a year I need more than sixteen channels, or if there is another route that better serves my needs?

Thanks,
Hal

Jordan Wolf

• http://www.facebook.com/howlingwolf487
Re: Presonus Studiolive w/submix for extra channels?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2009, 03:55:47 PM »

Hey Hal,

There's already a thread going on about this in the Lounge.  I'd suggest you join that one to keep things tidy.

http://srforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/42492/16730/
Wolf
<><

"A lack of preparation on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."
- Me

"With that much comb filtering you could probably part your hair just by walking through the room." - Dick Rees

Hal Wheeler

« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »

I am also considering the studiolive for a number of reasons...
1. most of my gigs are at small local venues i.e. bars, clubs, restaurants, etc. where there is minimal space and minimal setup time... the recall, built in processing, etc. appeal to me for these types of shows
2. I am putting together a home project recording studio and the studiolive seems like it would be a nice interface for that...
3. I rarely have any need for more than sixteen channels... but...

Here's my question: I have a small 12 channel peavey board that I use for studio work mostly and I am wondering if when I do need more than sixteen channels, I could sub-mix the drums on the peavey, and send them to a single channel on the presonus (or two if stereo panning is necessary)

I don't know much about submixing, and I am wondering if this would work for the two times a year I need more than sixteen channels, or if there is another route that better serves my needs?

Thanks,
Hal

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2009, 04:53:44 PM »

I don't see why you couldn't.....
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2009, 05:43:46 PM »

I don't like submixing, for two reasons. One, it means a lot more equipment to haul in, find a place for, and hook up, leaving room for plenty of error. Two, it limits your resources. For instance, use a submixer and then the monitors are limited to one mix from that source. Also, using a submixer, you can't use effects that are patched into the main mixer. On a side, with my 01V96, I put all the drums on the expansion channels, which means if I want to adjust drums, I go to the second layer, and there are the drums. Everything I usually am adjusting is on the first layer, then the drums are on the second, giving me in affect a submixer for drums, albeit with full function and connection to all monitor mixes and effects.
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

Jamin Lynch

Presonus
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2009, 08:25:10 PM »

Anybody used the Presonus Studio Live 16.4.2 digital mixer? Looks interesting.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 21 queries.