ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Studio Live - merged  (Read 31540 times)

Tim Tyler

Re: Presonus Studio Live - merged
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2009, 09:11:52 PM »

"So, as I've read this thread, I have seen nothing about the studiolive that is better than the 01V96. Did I miss something?"

1.  ~$200 cheaper street price
2.  1 layer mixing, simpler eq will appeal to many
3.  Built in digital recording to computer
4.  6 aux outputs vs 4 omni outs on 01v96
5.  Sound quality?  FX & dynamics quality?  Since no one seems to have heard or mixed on this console, everyone's just guessing.  

This mixer may be fine for its designed use, and whether or not it's "better" than an 01v96 depends on how it's used and whether it performs well for the user.  

I'll reserve judgement until I actually put my hand on one.

(I currently use an LS9-32 and an 01v96vcm.)

-Tim T

jason burk

• http://www.myspace.com/jjdrummerboy
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2009, 09:16:04 PM »

as soon as I finish eating I'll post a brief review of how I thought the demo session went.

jason burk

• http://www.myspace.com/jjdrummerboy
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2009, 10:02:03 PM »

k here goes! btw, this is an unofficial very brief time sensitive review of what i thought about the board when i ran the demo session it came with through the capture software.

i got my studiolive today around 5, opened it, and plugged it in. wala everything works. input gains are not detented. smooth, and easy to turn.

i loaded the software easy. i loaded the session easy.

im now mixing 16 dry tracks through the studiolive and im toying with the dynamics and levels of everything.

what i noticed is everything is real easy to get to. because there's no layering, accessing and knowing what part of the channel you are on is easy.

what i also noticed is the input levels, the output levels, the subgroup levels, and the master outs are not the same even though they are all as closely set to unity unclipped 0 level.

i know i had a topic a while back saying i had a problem with my gl2200 with the same problem. and yes, ive since corrected my gain structure and ive increased my headroom. since then, every board ive worked on ive had clean ins and outs and the gigs were less intense. it was user fault. my fault. and thanks for your help.

but with this board, the ins/outs/groups/master dont seem to be showing the same levels. my input gain on any given channel shows -6, but when subgrouped, it shows +10, the master out shows +3. thats what ive noticed. all while the fader, subgroup, and master out is at unity level. i dont like it. does the 01v96 do this.

what about other digital boards? im still gona get a ls9-32 in the future. i want one so bad. but im working on getting my yorkies first.

thanks,
j

Tim McCulloch

Re: Studiolive Shipped
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2009, 10:26:48 PM »

jason burk wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 14:13

Mac Kerr wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 13:29

jason burk wrote on Tue, 17 February 2009 14:06

but my question is. what do i need to buy specifically to have atleast 16 analog channels, and 8 monitor aux sends? thats what i dont like about the 01v96 because it doesnt look like its all there.

How do you get that on the StudioLive? It only has 6 aux sends. If you use 2 for effects sends you only have 4 left for monitors.

The 01v96 has stereo main outs and 4 omni outs for monitors. It also has 8 groups and 8 auxes vs 4 groups and 6 auxes on the Presonus. The Presonus does have 16 mic pres vs 12 on the 01v96, but for under $250 you can expand the 01v96 with 8 more mic pres, for a total of 20, and 8 more balanced line level omni outs for a total of 12.

Mac

its got 8 aux sends, but 2 of them are dedicated fx sends giving you only 6 left.

but i mentioned 8 because if i could have 8 auxes for monitors on a 01v96, and still have room for fx, and have 16-20 analog balanced pres, then this would solve a 200lb. problem with the band im currently in.

One solution to your problem is an LS/9-16 with an MY8-AT card and an ADA8000 (or something nicer that gives you 8 mic in and 8 line out).  Or an LS/9-32 and skip the expansion stuff.  Only 45#, too... the case will weigh more.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

David A. Parker

• http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2009, 06:31:31 AM »

the ADA 8000 does give you 8 ins and 8 outs
David Parker
Lost and Found Sound
http://www.lostandfoundsoundco.com/

kevin messerschmidt

« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2009, 12:25:06 AM »

No disrespect intended but why all the hate for the Presonus? i usually read this forum before I purchase a product.  I find it unfair that there are so many nay sayers yet it seems no one has actually mixed on the board yet.  I just bought one.  It is a great tool for my needs.  I find that it fills the gap nicely between a MIX WIZ or 1604VLZ and my LS9-16 and LS9-32.  I also owned a 01v96.  The presonus is MUCH easier to use for the digital novice.  And by the way, just because the 01v96 has motorized faders does not meant that it is much better than the presonus for scene recall.  Both of these mixers still require you to manually chart preamp position in order to get an exact recall.  Recallable preamps are not available until you move up to the LS9's.  
thanks
Kevin

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2009, 12:49:28 AM »

I'm not a StudioJive hater, but if a guy makes his living with his live-sound tools the 01v96 does a lot more for about the same money.

If recording is a primary function of one's live work, this might have a place, but I don't do enough of that to offer an opinion one way or the other.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc

"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

kevin messerschmidt

« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:28 AM »

No doubt the 01v96 has many more features. (many that you may not use in a live environment) I do make a nice partime income doing livesound.  I needed a mixer that ANYONE could use.  I have an install system and many guest engineers.  The 01v96 just takes to long to train a digital novice on how to use it.  The presonus is extremely basic but still a nice tool.  Just for the record the 01v96 is also a studio piece of gear that has been found as an exceptable piece of live gear as well.
One thing is for sure...It is nice to have so many great pieces of gear that discussions like this can occur Smile
All the Best
Kevin

Ned Ward

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2009, 01:01:42 AM »

Kevin -

not a hater either; I posted my thoughts about the unit having physically seen it at NAMM and my opinion of it. I also said it was worth diddly, given I don't do enough live sound work to count.

Motorized faders - while they don't have preamp recall, the 01v and 01v96 do allow you to have multiple scenes set up so that you can instantly see the main mix and aux mixes for monitors, etc. Usually the preamp gains are set and forget, so not sure I understand your benefit statement.

That's great that it works for you; since it is, can you clarify if you use it in a studio, for live sound, or both?

kevin messerschmidt

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2009, 01:25:23 AM »

I see your point on motorized faders if you are mixing the same act.  For me I have different bands with different inputs etc.  so each scene in my case is a different band...thus different gain settings.  I use most of my stuff live.  Don't get me wrong, the presonus will not replace either one of my LS9's but I will bring it out for those engineers that have a phobia of digital mixers and the learning curve associated wit them.  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 20 queries.