ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Down

Author Topic: Presonus Studio Live - merged  (Read 27169 times)

kevin messerschmidt

Re: Presonus Studio Live - Solo Logic
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2009, 11:10:42 am »

I have been sitting back and reading all of these posts.  I guess I'd like to throw my opinion into the ring as well.  First of all I think it is great that we have the ability to debate things like this.  I mean go back to the 60's and the 70's and I am sure many of you "sound veterans" would have loved to have had any of these small format consoles as a tool in your box.  Not to mention the fact that you could record 16 channels to a tiny little computer etc etc etc.. My point is that technology is a wonderful thing.  However, it is not perfect.  I have owned a 01v96, I still own a LS9-32 and a LS9-16.  I bought one of the first studio-lives that shipped.  Each of these boards has its ups and downs.  One is not better that the other..no matter how much it costs.  I have my rig at a club as an install.  I have a lot of different engineers that come and go.  Many of them are afraid of the LS9.  I try to make it easy on them but they would rather use a basic straight forward mixer.  These same guys have really enjoyed using the studio-live.  I have even considered buying a 2nd one so I would have the ability to chain them together and have 32 channels for less than the price of my LS9-16.  Other engineers I work with won't even consider it and will only use the LS9-32...That is also fine..  I guess the point that I am trying to make is that everyone has their opinion.  For me, I am glad that I can choose which I want to use.  One last thing, I will take a studio live over a Mackie or allen heath mix wiz any day.  For about the same money or less (by the time you add effects and a few comps) it is similar in size and style and offers a ton more features.

Here is an idea...Could a 01v96 or LS9 user add the Mylan-16 card and use the studio live as its 16 additional preamps?  I bring this up for no other reason than curiosity sake..I am not incinuating that anyone should buy a studio live only for this reason

Chad Harbaugh

Re: Presonus Studio Live
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2009, 12:44:59 pm »

Of course the LS9 is a better mixer than the SL, it better be for almost 3 times the price.  

I was using an LS9-32 at an outdoor gig yesterday and found it was almost impossible to use in the sunlight.  With Yamaha mixers you are pretty much dependant on being able to read the screen in order to do anything with it.  I had to shield the screen with the mixer cover, take off my polarised sunglasses and still had to get about 6 inches from the screen to see what I was doing.

I haven't used my StudioLive outdoors yet and am sure the LED meters and LCD screen probably are not much better. But since everything has dedicated knobs you are less dependent on needing to read a screen.

One a side note I find it pathetic most pro audio gear has screens and LEDs that can't be read outdoors.  Especially on high priced mixers that require being able to see the screen in order to use.

I can read the screen perfectly on my cell phone in direct sunlight even when wearing polarised sunglasses, but the screen on a $8000 mixer is almost impossible to read.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 12:51:28 pm »

The last 2 posts pretty much sum up what I wanted to say about the recent postings.

- Remember this is a sub $2,000 "all in one" digital FOH solution. A fair comparison is something like a Mixwiz with $1000 worth of "extra" FOH outboard gear. Sound quality, available processing, visual feedback.... it's no comparison. The SL wins hands down. I went from the Mizwiz to the SL setup.

- As far as I know, there isn't another digital mixer on the market, at any price, that has anything near the intuitive operation of the SL. Our old sound guy, who owns an A&H GL2200 and a Mizwiz, mixed our show this past Saturday. I introduced him to the SL and he was up and running in maybe 3 minutes. Try that kind of orientation with other digital boards and see how well things go. He was extremely impressed with the SL, saying it was very intuitive and sounded much better than his GL2200.

There will always be camps of those that think certain gear is beneath them, as there will be those that are intimidated by anything new.

My take on the SL is that it fills its niche extremely well. Yes, for a few more bones the O1V may do more on paper. I'm a habitual "tweaker". It's only in the last few years that I've come to realize sometimes simple is better. The more options at your disposal, the more chances you can mess things up. I also have to be able to run sound from stage as effortlessly as possible. So personally, I'll sacrifice additional functionality for the practicality of the SL. The bottom line for me is the signal quality is 100% there and and it's drop dead easy to use considering the number of buttons, lights and functions available in the mixer. It's a smart product and, IMO, extremely innovative providing digital mixing to the masses.

Tim McCulloch

« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2009, 01:37:30 pm »

kevin messerschmidt wrote on Mon, 06 July 2009 10:10

Here is an idea...Could a 01v96 or LS9 user add the Mylan-16 card and use the studio live as its 16 additional preamps?  I bring this up for no other reason than curiosity sake..I am not incinuating that anyone should buy a studio live only for this reason

http://www.audinate.com/news/Yamaha_distributes_Audinate-Dan te-MY16-AUD_card.pdf

THIS is the solution you're looking for. IF the PSU in the 01v96 or LS9/16 is up to the task.. FWIW, the limitations on using certain mini-YGDAI cards or combinations thereof is based on the host mixer's PSU capacity.

Have fun, good luck.

Tim Mc
"Will you stand by me against the cold night, or are you afraid of the ice?" Crack The Sky

kevin messerschmidt

« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2009, 01:51:50 pm »

Very cool...Thanks Tim!

Nate Conti

« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2009, 02:48:41 pm »

Good call Adam...I remember seeing that and forgot about it. That should solve that problem. I only had 20 minutes to spend with the console and had no problem pretty much figuring it out in that amount of time. With that said it should make a good console for other engineers to use on the fly if thats your budget range.
Crescent Audio & Lighting

Ron Kimball

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »

Sean Zurbrick wrote:

As far as I know, there isn't another digital mixer on the market, at any price, that has anything near the intuitive operation of the SL.
A&H iLive Smile. When I saw it at the DemoFest my first thought was "who copied who?".

Jon Roberts

Re: Presonus Studio Live - merged
« Reply #127 on: August 01, 2009, 10:53:20 am »

I've had my Studiolive about a month now. So far it's a decent board and does some things really well and some eh... just like any board I suppose. I really prefer the 01V but some clients I rent to really like it and it's already almost paid for itself between rentals and getting to charge extra for recordings. Looks like it will be a good ROI.

- Jon
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 18 queries.