ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Just one of those bands.  (Read 6257 times)

Evan F. Hunter

Re: Just one of those bands.
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2009, 06:57:17 pm »

Scott Smith wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 17:27

Evan Hunter wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 01:57

...At one point in the show they stopped and said how come no one is up front here are y'all bored? I kindly told them nope, its too loud everyone is enjoying the music in the hallway. It sounded better in the hall. In the room is was LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD SNARE LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD...

Get one of these and point towards band...

index.php/fa/20809/0/

I should invest in on of those. But its been decided they are never coming back, and Ive decided I'm never going to "attempt to do sound for them" ever again. I guess what bugs me the most is just the ignorance. There was the potential to be a very nice show and there were several easy ways to make it a good show, some less ideal than others. But as someone said they are just playing for themselves at that point.  
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
FosterSoundStudios(at)inbox.com
(4) QRX115s (4) SRX 728s Soundcraft GB8, Mackie Onyx 1640, TC Electronics fx.

Adam Whetham

• Grand Forks, ND
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2009, 12:51:29 am »

Mike Caldwell wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 14:39

Couple times a year I'll get a band that's all direct, except drums and all on in ears.....it's SO nice. One time I assumed that a group I was going to be providing for that were all direct but still using wedges would still make for an easy show. That is until they wanted the guitar in the wedges at Spinal Tap 11 volume with vocals on top.

My weekend gig is a 5 piece band that is ALL direct with digital drums.

4 vocal mic's and all the rest DI's never felt so good! Then they mix their own monitors from stage! Best gig I've ever gotten hooked up with!

They have 4x12's also but play at a 1 volume. Bass has a workmans 15 and has it at a moderate volume. Great show, and the mix sounds awesome!
-I practice safe excursion on the weekends.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -Paul Neal "Red" Adair

Helge A. Bentsen

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2009, 06:55:35 pm »

Confiscate their earplugs!

Every time I have these kind of problems, all band members are wearing ordinarily "foam style" ear plugs, they can't hear themselves as a result, and turn everything up. If, and I insist on IF, they need earplugs, at least get some custom molded ones and have them put them on at least 30 mins before show time, so they get used to the new sound level in their ears.

Jim Seguin

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2009, 10:06:37 pm »

When I end up working with guitarists that INSIST on having their amps on wide open or too loud for venue (whichever comes first), I will also "INSIST" on either allowing me to put a case cover or blanket over the front of the amp....or point the amp backwards/across the stage.
In most cases, PRO players are way cool about it - and will do whatever is needed to make the show sound good for the audience.

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2009, 10:58:51 pm »

Jim Seguin wrote on Sun, 08 February 2009 21:06

When I end up working with guitarists that INSIST on having their amps on wide open or too loud for venue (whichever comes first), I will also "INSIST" on either allowing me to put a case cover or blanket over the front of the amp....or point the amp backwards/across the stage.
In most cases, PRO players are way cool about it - and will do whatever is needed to make the show sound good for the audience.

Yeah i was amazed at how much they did not seem to want to sound good. Completely amateur.

Also they did not have earplugs but im sure they wish they had. My ears hurt the day after the show.  
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"

Chuck Harrigan

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2009, 12:52:05 am »

Mike Caldwell wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 15:39

Couple times a year I'll get a band that's all direct, except drums and all on in ears.....it's SO nice. One time I assumed that a group I was going to be providing for that were all direct but still using wedges would still make for an easy show. That is until they wanted the guitar in the wedges at Spinal Tap 11 volume with vocals on top.

I had to deal with one of those at my church for a while.  Almost everything was either DI or not in the mix.  Everything was fine till I was setting up monitors.  At this point we had one monitor mix.  The lead guitarist/ vocalist felt that he needed to be 10 dB above everything else in the monitors.  Every time i turned someone else up so that they could be heard, he wanted himself turned up.  It got to the point where i was hitting 103dB at FOH with the mains off.  In that room I usually keep it below 95 dB(as a decorative touch they covered the walls with corrugated metal).  Needless to say we blew a few of the older monitors.  Luckily he didn't last long as the worship leader.  They recently tore down the tin. Not suprisingly the feedback problems decreased........
There is no electronic solution to a personnel problem.

-Andy Peters

Jim Seguin

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2009, 11:12:58 am »

Mike Caldwell wrote on Sat, 07 February 2009 14:39

I frequently work with a band that is all IEM's - and the guitarist uses a Palmer speaker simulator (sans cabinet).  It's such a treat - because I get to focus on MIXING - and not so much 'damage control' fighting loud amps and wedges (especially when we're hired to play in one of these new bars/clubs that are in strip malls - with exposed metal ceilings).

Dan O. Anderson

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2009, 03:06:32 pm »

Quote:

Yup. At one point when people would complain I said watch this. I pulled all the fades down to zero and flipped the power for everything but the monitors off. They were like oh.... The only difference was the lack of muttered vocals. everything else was still screaming.

I do this all the time when people complain about volume. Seems to work. Ultimately though, I usually serve as the intermediary between crowd and band, so I still have to mention to the band that their host is complaining about noise. Since I've already thrown the band under the bus, the responsibility is still on me to make it sound as good as it can, but at the end of the day, if the host isn't happy, at least I've cleared my name. I can't say it's the most optimum situation (I'd prefer a gig where everyone were happy), but at least their amateur actions don't reflect poorly on me and my company.

Cheers,
Dan

Andy Peters

• http://www.latke.net/
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2009, 03:22:13 pm »

Evan Hunter wrote on Fri, 06 February 2009 23:57

Tonight I volunteered to do sound at a church youth event and it was in a fairly small room, ehh 40x70, longways.   This band insisted in having their amps full tilt. I told them at practice its got to come down (i was hitting 105DB in the hall by the far door from the stage) At one point in the show they stopped and said how come no one is up front here are y'all bored? I kindly told them nope, its too loud everyone is enjoying the music in the hallway. It sounded better in the hall. In the room is was LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD SNARE LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD LOUD. There was no such thing as mixing them so it was just BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH for and hour +.

I just dont get why bands do this. No one left this place going "oh it was a nice show" or at least an "oh they were OK." It was "they were too loud". "I couldn't understand a thing!" I had many people telling me their ears hurt. One excuse was "well we usually have our sound guy with his PA so we just play as loud as we want and he over powers us with the PA for the crowd.... and I asked... How does this solve the volume issue?

Can't you just say, "This is a CHURCH, fer Chrissakes, and Jesus has a splitting headache from your noise!"

-a
"This isn't some upside down inverted Socratic method where you throw out your best guess answers and I correct your work." -- JR

"On the Internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Evan F. Hunter

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2009, 04:44:54 pm »

Dan O. Anderson wrote on Mon, 09 February 2009 14:06

Quote:

Yup. At one point when people would complain I said watch this. I pulled all the fades down to zero and flipped the power for everything but the monitors off. They were like oh.... The only difference was the lack of muttered vocals. everything else was still screaming.

I do this all the time when people complain about volume. Seems to work. Ultimately though, I usually serve as the intermediary between crowd and band, so I still have to mention to the band that their host is complaining about noise. Since I've already thrown the band under the bus, the responsibility is still on me to make it sound as good as it can, but at the end of the day, if the host isn't happy, at least I've cleared my name. I can't say it's the most optimum situation (I'd prefer a gig where everyone were happy), but at least their amateur actions don't reflect poorly on me and my company.

Cheers,
Dan

Yeah I could not agree more, I work with this host a lot and I was in constant communication with him, as well as trying to communicate to the band but they wouldn't have it. Finally when enough people left to go to the hall, our ears had had enough as well so we both walked out and joined everyone else.
Evan Hunter
"The Loud Hunter"
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 20 queries.