ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: I may have inherited $$$?  (Read 6147 times)

TrevorMilburn

Re: I may have inherited $$$?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2009, 12:54:11 PM »

I had 3 separate emails last year purporting to be from Malaysian Lawyers offering similar services - namely someone with the same surname as me had died and left several million dollars. The names of the solicitors were pukka (I checked this out quite simply) but the email addresses were Hotmail addresses, and I simply can't believe that a large firm of lawyers would be using Hotmail email addresses (no email addresses were listed on the Malaysian register). I simply sent copies of the emails to the (real)lawyers in Malaysia and let them sort it out.
I worked in the Telecoms business for many years and know that certain countries are out of bounds business-wise  because of the endemic fraud - Nigeria, although probably the worst offender, is only one of them. One company I worked for provided one of its customers with telecoms call-cards for it's employees - within a few hours of the issue, one particular card had been used to make several hundred, concurrent, calls to Nigeria. Luckily our fraud unit was on the ball and the scam was nipped in the bud very quickly so within a couple of hours the card was blocked. The employee in question funnily enough was Nigerian and vehemently denied any wrong doing but was found out because numbers he himself had dialled using his card matched the number of some of the originating calls which were implicated in the scam.
Just be careful!

regards,
Trevor

Charlie Zureki

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2009, 01:19:39 PM »

Hello,

No... I didn't respond. I used the Anti-viral, software to check the Email and listed it as "junk", after I had written down the Attorney's address. The address will automatically be blocked from future Emails.

No mail will be sent to the address by me, I checked and found no such Lawyer listed. (Iain provided the same info)

I presumed it was a scam, but because of another similar incident regarding "lost" relatives, I wanted to be certain.  Smile

And, No Chris... I do not know anything about a "King Ralph".

Thanks,

Hammer
Be prepared, you'll need it!

Ian Hunt

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2009, 05:48:12 PM »

TrevorMilburn wrote on Mon, 09 February 2009 11:54

...  snip
I worked in the Telecoms business for many years and know that certain countries are out of bounds business-wise  because of the endemic fraud - Nigeria, although probably the worst offender, is only one of them. ...  snip

regards,
Trevor

Hmmm, possibly disguising one's self as a US or UK banker might have worked, but now we are all suspicious of them too ...

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 15 queries.