ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Compression settings for Pastor  (Read 11921 times)

BassClef

Compression settings for Pastor
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:14:27 AM »

Hey All,

Was wondering if any of you out there compress your pastor/main speaker. What typical settings do you use? What kinds of problems have you encountered?

BassClef

Tom Young

Re: Compression settings for Pastor
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 08:00:56 AM »

I almost always provide a compressor and sometimes a full channel strip for a pastors mic.

Compressor settings vary from 4:1 to 10:1 with fast attack and slow release.  The idea is to prevent very loud levels but not squash dynamic range.  

If you squash this signal, not only do folks lose out on the dynamics of a passioned sermon, but the pastor is likely to blow his voice out while unconsciously trying to achieve the dynamics he's used to.  They can hear this due to the wrap-around from the FOH ldspkrs and also the returned energy from the room.

Because this is the most important mic, I do not cheap-out on the mic or the processor(s) for this channel.

I use a channel strip becuase I often need better EQ than is provided by the mid and low quality-level mixers.
Tom Young, Church Sound section moderator
Electroacoustic Design Services
Oxford CT
Tel: 203.888.6217
Email: dbspl@earthlink.net
www.dbspl.com

Mark Cartwright

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 08:11:21 AM »

Well, in my limited setup I only use the compressor built-in to my board (a Peavey RQ4332C...no comments!).  The controls are limited, which is good for me because I do NOT understand a compressor's controls, so I basically have the threshold set to limit the very loud parts - claps, shouts, etc. - and then the other knob...forgot the name at the moment...to boost the quiet sounds.  It works well for what I need, especially since I have no idea how to setup a full-blown compressor.  haha...I guess this shows my ignorance!

Mark

Mark Cartwright
Sound & Multimedia Director
Calvary Baptist Church
Batesville, Arkansas

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 11:59:03 AM »

For me, I use a -10 threshold with a 3.5:1 ratio with auto attack and release.  This is using a shure U1 bodypack and a countryman e6.  The compressor I use is a DBX160SL in this line.

This is a killer setup if you have the $$ to do it.

Mark Cartwright

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 12:08:55 PM »

Exactly how do you hook up an external compressor?  I was helping a buddy of mine at another local church and we couldn't figure it out.  We thought we followed the instructions but it didn't work correctly.  They just wanted a general, system-wide compressor, not just on one channel.  It's a Behringer.

Mark Cartwright
Calvary Baptist Church
Batesville, Arkansas

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 02:09:44 PM »

Simple brother,

you insert the compressor to the masters out.  But beware if you are using DSP system management.  On the behringer, make sure that the in/out button is in(light on).  Make sure that the limiter is not being used as they are the crappiest sound you have ever heard.  If you want to use one on the masters out, you should think about getting a better quality one(ie, Drawmer or high end DBX).

Mark Cartwright

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2005, 01:15:32 PM »

Okay, what type of cable do you use to insert it on the masters out?  If I recall we tried this but got either poor or no results.  Where do the cables that are the input and output on the compressor connect to the board at?  Excuse my ignorance.  I am actually asking for someone else.
Mark Cartwright
Calvary Baptist Church
Batesville, Arkansas

Jeff White

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 09:48:11 PM »

You need an "Insert Cable".  Hosa makes one for $8 at any Guitar Center, or similar outfit.  One end is a 1/4" male TRS ('tip, ring, sleeve"--3 sections) and plugs into your mixer.  The other end splits into two 1/4" TS ('tip, sleeve') jacks.  The one labeled "tip" goes in the Input on the compressor channel, the one labeled "ring" plugs into the Output.

Personally, I don't run the compressor through the masters, but use the "insert" jack above the XLR input on the channel that your pastor's mike plugs into on the back of your board. This way, I ONLY compress the pastor's speaking voice, and nothing else in the mix.

I'm using a dbx 266XL, which isn't as clean as the 166 or other more pricey units, so I'd rather not have it affecting any more of my mix than necessary.

Hope this helps!

Dave Nicholas

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 11:57:53 PM »

Jay Dubya wrote on Sat, 26 March 2005 02:48

You need an "Insert Cable".  Hosa makes one for $8 at any Guitar Center, or similar outfit.  One end is a 1/4" male TRS ('tip, ring, sleeve"--3 sections) and plugs into your mixer.  The other end splits into two 1/4" TS ('tip, sleeve') jacks.  The one labeled "tip" goes in the Input on the compressor channel, the one labeled "ring" plugs into the Output.

Personally, I don't run the compressor through the masters, but use the "insert" jack above the XLR input on the channel that your pastor's mike plugs into on the back of your board. This way, I ONLY compress the pastor's speaking voice, and nothing else in the mix.

I'm using a dbx 266XL, which isn't as clean as the 166 or other more pricey units, so I'd rather not have it affecting any more of my mix than necessary.

Hope this helps!

depending on the type of console that you have, it might take dual TRS(send and receive)   look on the back of your console or look in the manual.

midasguy

Mark Cartwright

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 05:01:03 PM »

Okay, well I thought that he didn't have the correct cable from looking at the manual, but he insisted it "didn't matter" (one of those guys).  I'll now find one in a catalog and, along with this post printout, prove to him that he didn't.  haha...I'm sure it'll work better when properly connected!  Very Happy

Mark Cartwright
Calvary Baptist Church
Batesville, Arkansas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2005, 05:01:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 20 queries.