ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Line Array Shootout !  (Read 56416 times)

Jonathan 'JP' Peirce

• http://www.5pointeps.com
Re: Small Line Array Element Shootout !
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »

If it's in NJ I'll be there.
I would really like to hear the Flex.

JP
Jonathan 'JP' Peirce
5 Point Event Production Services, LLC
http://www.5PointEPS.com

Dave Barker

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 08:21:44 AM »

I know this isn't in big names catagory but I have 8 boxes of Versarray that I would be willing to hall somewhere on the east coast for this.  Let me know.

Thanks

Dave

Tim Morin

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 08:42:20 AM »

well exactly what are you considering "small" you have from 8" drivers to 12"

Alex Schultz

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 08:43:47 AM »

Dan Brown wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 21:34

Ron Corniels wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 20:48

Hi Mac
Thanks for joining in. You have a good point, we can always turn some off. But we should have a set number to make it fair .So one rig isn't 4 cabinets per side and another rig has 12 cabinets per side. So how about 6-8 cabinets per side as a guideline.

Ron

My suggestion would be to go with a certain "line length" rather than cabinet amount.  

Say 10' of height
And say It needs to be at least 9.5ft. and no longer than 10.5ft.

This would be a more even.

Some smaller boxes would get up to 12+ boxes in this length and some of the medium size boxes would only get 8 or so.

db

Hmmmmmm........ 10' only allows LF pattern control to about 110HZ, not really a reasonable test of how well a particular array performs.

I would suggest defining array length as a function of low frequency pattern control - say 70hz (around 17') - to get all the arrays' response into the "true sub" range.

A single stripe of each with appropriate subs to avoid combing and allow for easier coverage/response testing.

If you're going through the trouble of getting a shootout set up, it would seem silly to not go all the way. What better way to show which system would be the best choice for the small operator to "grow into"?

Best of Days
Never underestimate the danger of stupid people in powerful positions.

Knowledge is the information acquired while searching for an answer, not the answer itself.

Alex S

Lou Castellucci

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 09:08:41 AM »

You are 100% correct Alex.  This is the best way to determine what box you prefer.  Length determines a lot more than some people give it credit for.

Rob Bird

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 09:23:23 AM »

Sure its good to get into on a scientific level but i think a 17' array is beyond realistic comparison, esp for small format gear!

For example a d&b Q1 system would have to be 18 cabinets long to hit that size, and with subs you would usually run the system in 100hz cut mode, making the testing the pattern control at 70hz redundant.

considering the size of the cabinets in question i think flying a 20 box banana for a shootout is a bit far fetched from the reality of how a potential buyer would use the system.

Ron Corniels

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 09:55:52 AM »

Thanks Rob
I agree with you 100% We need to keep the rigs around 8-10 cabinets. It is just more realistic.

I think there are some great suggestions.

1st) Let's agree the test should be a single (mono) hang.
2nd) Let's set the test length at 8' give or take 6"

We should keep all these suggestions above in mind and try and find the manufacturers or more rigs . I really do understand the problem with length of the array .But most small sound companies start out with 4-6 cabinets per side . The 8'length is a better average of what is being used by most small companies. That is the point of this shootout.

Thanks everyone.We need more small rigs and to decide where to have it??

Randy Frierson

My Idea's PSLP2009 "pro sound listening party"
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 11:40:16 AM »

Well I have a nice amphitheater and i have always wanted to have a LDI for Pro Audio...basically a Look and Listen party...I can fly 10-12 arrays and i have a nice stage area where we could set up some displays, ie like to show consoles, and other pro audio products...I have all of the ancillary gear that is needed so we would just need stacks and racks for the listening party..I think we should do a poll of the top 10 systems we want to hear, or we may be inondated with systems that don't really fit what most are looking for..I would like to setup a commitee to be the final authority and decesion makers to any issues that may come up..I would like to see Harry Brill and Doug Fowler and a couple others to be the commitee..I will just be your Host...lets see what idea's this starts...thx  Randy

PS i hate the title shootout

Ron Corniels

Re: My Idea's PSLP2009 "pro sound listening party"
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 11:54:54 AM »

Hi Randy

Great idea!! I agree with you. It seems like you have a great location and quite a few small line arrays available. Also a much better title.  I ask for two small things:  keep the line arrays geared towards the smaller size, and to be able to test the rigs with different amounts of cabinets turned on or off. (4, 6,8 etc) What do you think??
here is my vote for line arrays
EV XLD281
JBL Vertec 4887a
Turbosound flex array
Nexo s/8 and 12
Meyer Melodie
QSC wideline 8 and 10
EAW 730

thanks
Ron    

Doug Fowler

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »

The only really meaningful test has to be apples to apples.

Hang equivalent length lines, covering a predefined area, and one hand on the fader by a non-participant playing the same listening tracks for each.

I would not count on many manufacturers playing.  This doesn't sell systems - demo systems in the field with carefully prequalified prospects sells systems.
"It's got electrolytes.  It's got what plants crave."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:23 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.