ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: Small Line Array Shootout !  (Read 56396 times)

Ron Corniels

Re: Small Line Array Element Shootout !
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2009, 09:48:42 PM »

Hi Mac
Thanks for joining in. You have a good point, we can always turn some off. But we should have a set number to make it fair .So one rig isn't 4 cabinets per side and another rig has 12 cabinets per side. So how about 6-8 cabinets per side as a guideline.

Ron

Paul Bell

• http://pbellsound.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2009, 09:52:47 PM »

Jersey? As in NEW JERSEY?!? Who goes there?

Kidding, I'll be all over NJ on Friday, Faital Pro, APB, a venue walk-through in Secaucus and of course a stop at Burger Deluxe.

I could poke McCauley for their new MLA2 line array, I haven't even seen it yet.
Paul Bell
PBell Sound New York City
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Dan Brown

• http://www.reachcomm.net
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »

Ron Corniels wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 20:48

Hi Mac
Thanks for joining in. You have a good point, we can always turn some off. But we should have a set number to make it fair .So one rig isn't 4 cabinets per side and another rig has 12 cabinets per side. So how about 6-8 cabinets per side as a guideline.

Ron

My suggestion would be to go with a certain "line length" rather than cabinet amount.  

Say 10' of height
And say It needs to be at least 9.5ft. and no longer than 10.5ft.

This would be a more even.

Some smaller boxes would get up to 12+ boxes in this length and some of the medium size boxes would only get 8 or so.

db

Ron Corniels

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 11:29:36 PM »

Hi Dan

Thanks for the input. But I think it needs to smaller.6-8 feet. There are quite a few small sound companies that can't afford an array with 10'of height.(I know the theory behind arrays)But all of the manufacturers say "at least 4 cabinets" so let's see what they sound like at a minimum instead of 12 cabinets per side,which most of us small guys can't afford.We could all argue this to death but lets keep it small and simple. In a tough economy I would think manufacturers would be glad to have some interest in small arrays. We can always buy more cabinets as our companies grow. But I for one would love to hear how they sound with 6-8 cabinets . It's more affordable!

Ok Now back to business. Let's focus on putting this together. We need some more line arrays . Florida,New Jersey, Maryland,where are the QSC ,EV, JBL ,Martin,Eaw etc reps.Come on and step up to the plate. Somebody should contact some reps and get some gear!
Florida is looking good thanks to Randy.(5 rigs?? That's great!)Anyone else in Florida have some gear??

Thanks
Ron

Ron Corniels

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »

Hi Paul

Do you think your McCauley rep could send a rig to Florida?
I know that JBL and QSC both have rigs that tour around the country for demos , Maybe we can get them to bring a small rig? Anyone know these guys??

Ron  

Paul Bell

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »

I'll have to call McCauley tomorrow.
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:
McCauley, BASSMAXX, APB DynaSonics, QSC, Ashly, DBX, Rane Digital, Rapco, Faital Pro

Jack Arnott

• http://assistanceaudio.com
Re: Small Line Array Shootout !
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2009, 12:35:33 AM »

Hello All,
I would offer up the Coda LA-5A.

Regards, Jack Arnott
Assistance Audio
The Buffalo's already dead,
What was going through your head?
Why did you choose the color Re-ed?
Joss Whedon

www.assistanceaudio.com

Grant Conklin

• http://www.G-ForceProAudio.com
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »

Would there be any harm in doing single mono arrays?  If this isn't done, I foresee real contenders showing up without enough cabs to make the minimum, and comparisons that are not apples to apples. If the smallest rig that shows up can make a single 8,9 or 10 foot line, I say that's a good benchmark, plus or minus 6 inches, like Dan said.

What other variables need to be taken care of?  Ground stacked or flown?  

Grant
Dealer for Fulcrum-Acoustic, JTR, Yorkville, VTC, FBT, Xilica, Hosa, Gator Cases, and On Stage Stands.
www.G-ForceProAudio.com

Jason Dermer

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2009, 07:51:02 AM »

Sorry, but I have to agree with the main testing utilizing the correct number of boxes to make a "full" line. That said,  dropping down to four per side after initial testing for comparisin would not be a bad idea.

As far as setup, my vote would be for single flown center arrays, if for no other reason than trying to minimize setup and breakdown times.
Jason Dermer
jason@asburyaudio.com
cell: 732-616-3463
office: 732-938-3100

"Rock & Roll and cars are just slightly different versions of the same mental disorder."- Peter Egan

Paul Bell

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

I think a single hang in mono would be a valid test. It'll save a lot of time. Shootouts are time consuming. Rolling Eyes
Paul Bell
paulATpbellsound.com
User/provider for:

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 23 queries.