ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Decent LED fixtures  (Read 9399 times)

Steve Hurt

Re: Decent LED fixtures
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2009, 07:35:46 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 20:01

Rob Timmerman wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 15:41

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 12:19

I understand that LEDs run fairly cool, but I'm not sure how important it is to keep the heat they do produce away from the electronics.

The amount of heat generated by a fixture is a function of the efficiency of the fixture (electrical energy in to optical energy out) and the input power.  That's it.  And an LED fixture is typically between 10% and 20% efficient at turning electrons into photons.

As far as the importance of getting the heat out, check out   http://www.philipslumileds.com/technology/reliabilitytool.cf m

Basically, the lifetime of the LEDs (and the power supply electronics) within the fixture halves for every 10 degree Celsius increase in temperature.  So getting the heat out is VERY important if you want the fixture to last.

I guess that explains why most LED fixtures have fans.

When you say "most" I assume you're talking about lights with 1 watt or larger LED's?

I haven't seen an LED with a fan yet
(but all I've looked at had 5mm and 10 mm LED's)

Mike Pyle

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2009, 10:15:23 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 09:19

The reason I asked was because the Colorado1 and the WDM HP Par 64 both have cooling fans.  I understand that LEDs run fairly cool, but I'm not sure how important it is to keep the heat they do produce away from the electronics.

Rick,

The Colorado1 doesn't have a fan. It is a sealed, waterproof housing. They get warm, but not hot. Even after hours of use they can be handled with no problem.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Mike Pyle

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2009, 10:22:47 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Mon, 02 February 2009 12:24

I have also consedered:
1) the Colorado1, but they have 15 degree coverage, unless I want to spend $70 each to change the lenses to 30 degree.  These are much more expensive than the Colordash batten.

For a wide wash with the Colorado1 I have been told that you can simply remove the lense plate altogether. That is what I would probably do with only two lights. The 30 degree lense would still be a small spot on a close stage.
Mike Pyle
Audiopyle Sound
707-315-6204
Dealer: Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, KV2, FBT, EAW, Danley, SLS, Turbosound, dBTech
 APB,A&H,Audix,Shure,Powersoft,RoadReady,K&M,Ultimate ,Global Truss,DENON,Chauvet,Elation...

Brian Houchin

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2009, 11:32:21 AM »

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 19:04

Brian Houchin wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 10:56

They have a fan, or at least something that sounds like one...I own 2 of them, they are pretty good for the money.

Thanks, a fan seems like a good thing.

How are the cans holding up?  In the past when I have used thin walled aluminum incancesdents they have gotten bent up rather quickly.  Of course this wouldn't happen in a permanent install, but I will be transporting them a lot.

They have help up fine so far, but I've only been using them a couple of months.  Build quality is ok, they are very similar to the Weidamark LED cans.  I don't transport them in the trailer (all my lighting stuff rides in a seperate vehicle).  I would look into at least a soft case for them if you are going to move them a lot.

IMO, for an LED they are tough to beat considering the price.
Did Beethoven need a PA?

Rick Stansby

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2009, 12:58:34 PM »

James Feenstra wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 20:43

I'm a sound guy after all Smile

Me too.  I'll take any input I can get.

Q: Do you know how many sound guys it takes to screw in a light bulb?

Wait for it...

A: "We don't do lights."

Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2009, 12:59:48 PM »

Steve Hurt wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 04:35

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 20:01

Rob Timmerman wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 15:41

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 12:19

I understand that LEDs run fairly cool, but I'm not sure how important it is to keep the heat they do produce away from the electronics.

The amount of heat generated by a fixture is a function of the efficiency of the fixture (electrical energy in to optical energy out) and the input power.  That's it.  And an LED fixture is typically between 10% and 20% efficient at turning electrons into photons.

As far as the importance of getting the heat out, check out    http://www.philipslumileds.com/technology/reliabilitytool.cf m

Basically, the lifetime of the LEDs (and the power supply electronics) within the fixture halves for every 10 degree Celsius increase in temperature.  So getting the heat out is VERY important if you want the fixture to last.

I guess that explains why most LED fixtures have fans.

When you say "most" I assume you're talking about lights with 1 watt or larger LED's?

I haven't seen an LED with a fan yet
(but all I've looked at had 5mm and 10 mm LED's)

I guess I should have said "some LED lights"  I'm still learning, and I've actually only seen a couple LED lights up close.

Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2009, 01:01:31 PM »

Mike Pyle wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 07:15

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 09:19

The reason I asked was because the Colorado1 and the WDM HP Par 64 both have cooling fans.  I understand that LEDs run fairly cool, but I'm not sure how important it is to keep the heat they do produce away from the electronics.

Rick,

The Colorado1 doesn't have a fan. It is a sealed, waterproof housing. They get warm, but not hot. Even after hours of use they can be handled with no problem.

My bad, I've been looking at a lot of specs on lights lately, I must have gotten that wrong.  I'm not as worried about burning my hand as I am about compromising the lifespan of the electronics.

Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2009, 01:02:30 PM »

Brian Houchin wrote on Wed, 04 February 2009 08:32

Rick Stansby wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 19:04

Brian Houchin wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 10:56

They have a fan, or at least something that sounds like one...I own 2 of them, they are pretty good for the money.

Thanks, a fan seems like a good thing.

How are the cans holding up?  In the past when I have used thin walled aluminum incancesdents they have gotten bent up rather quickly.  Of course this wouldn't happen in a permanent install, but I will be transporting them a lot.

They have help up fine so far, but I've only been using them a couple of months.  Build quality is ok, they are very similar to the Weidamark LED cans.  I don't transport them in the trailer (all my lighting stuff rides in a seperate vehicle).  I would look into at least a soft case for them if you are going to move them a lot.

IMO, for an LED they are tough to beat considering the price.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely have them in some sort of case, preferably hard.

Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2009, 01:04:09 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I am a bit in the dark about lights (no pun intended).  Do you have a bunch of lights down there in Napa?  I might be willing to come down to check them out, especially if you have decent prices.

Rick

Rick Stansby

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2009, 01:08:56 PM »

Duane Massey wrote on Tue, 03 February 2009 21:54

If you want a white LED fixture, these are very cool, although the MAP on them is about $ 650 each:

http://www.elationlighting.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumbe r=1609&Category=

I'd go for an RGB fixture, tho. You'll get a lot more use, both now and in the future.

My reason for considering a white fixture is because usually if a device is designed to do one thing it does that one thing better than a device that does lots of things.  But I don't really have proof of this in regards to LED lights.  I have tried to look at the photometric charts, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of science involved with some of the specs.  For example some lights with 40 degree coverage are spec'd to have the same size beam at a given distance as other lights with 30 degree coverage.  
Rick
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 17 queries.