ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Yorkville UCS1?  (Read 16766 times)

Steve Tarak

Re: Yorkville UCS1?
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »

Kevin,
after quite a bit of info searching, I chose to go w/ these and I should receive them within a week or two. I've chosen the B series, no carpet, passive, and covers from cloud 9.

best,
Steve

Rodney Pate

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2009, 09:34:19 AM »

Evan, are those speaker pole mount cups on top of the UCS1 and if so is that standard ?

Rodney Pate

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2009, 09:50:32 AM »

Steve, did you get the UCS1 subs yet and what are your thoughts on them ?

Tim Tyler

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2009, 01:58:19 PM »

Pole mounts are standard on the UCS1.

-Tim T

Rodney Pate

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2009, 02:39:19 PM »

I am looking for subs for a 5 piece band country / rock also versatile enough for hip hop dj music, approx 200-300 people. How would 2 UCS1 per side compare to 1 dual QW/QRX/SRX 18 per side or 2 growlers per side. Anyone with real time experience and opinions would be appreciated. My tops are Peavey QW2

Rodney Pate

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2009, 02:45:26 PM »

Nice set up Evan, I assume owning QRX 212 that you preferred the UCS1 to the QRX subs ?

Evan Kirkendall

• http://www.evankirkendall.com
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2009, 02:48:04 PM »

Rodney Pate wrote on Wed, 04 March 2009 14:39

I am looking for subs for a 5 piece band country / rock also versatile enough for hip hop dj music, approx 200-300 people. How would 2 UCS1 per side compare to 1 dual QW/QRX/SRX 18 per side or 2 growlers per side. Anyone with real time experience and opinions would be appreciated. My tops are Peavey QW2

There was actually just a thread on this not to long ago. I've used all of the subs you listed. 2 UCS1 a side vs. any single dual 18 per side is going to win. The UCS1's go lower and will have the edge in output. Plus, they're a lot lighter and easier to move. I also think they sound better too. I won't share my opinion on the Growler...

But, for 200-300 people, you'll be VERY happy with with the UCS1's.

Evan
Not all change is good change.

Rodney Pate

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2009, 02:54:50 PM »

Any suggestions on best pricing on these ?

Phil Lewandowski

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2009, 05:40:07 PM »

Evan Kirkendall wrote on Wed, 04 March 2009 14:48

I won't share my opinion on the Growler...

Evan

Haha Evan,  Laughing  I'll try and sum up his opinions on Growlers.  He thinks they sound real nice but 2 of them aren't enough for him.  :;-):

If you need something smaller than the UCS1 or EAW LA400 size, that has a very smooth response, and can get decently loud for their size they are your best bet.

But if you can take the double the size, the USC1 size horn sub is I would go for them in a second.  So it's all about size really.

For 200-300 at decent levels (up to 105dBA/115dBC) on everything but like club/dance music and heavy metal I would take 2 center clustered Growlers and feel comfortable.  2 Growlers is amlost exactly the size of 1 LA400/UCS1 so it again is about size and how much cargo room you have.  And I did like the sound of the UCS1 subs.

Hope this helps!
Phil

P.S.  In the future when I get a trailer and have extra room and hopefully doing larger shows I will probably buy 4 of the newer Danley subs that are dual 12" tapped horn and are similar to the TH-115 in output and sound but much "punchier" apparently.  Just to give you an idea of what larger sub I might look into.
"It is good to be Alive!"

L and L: Live Sound
landllivesound.com

Steve Tarak

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2009, 10:57:15 PM »

there's a ton of info out there too Rodney. Check also posts from Evan Kirkendall and Matt Vivlamore, both own these bad boys. There's some cool photos too that Evan has posted. I can tell you a few things. These subs are visually beautiful. I chose the UCS1B's, with the painted finish. It's a great looking box and they're so new, the paint smell is still on them. The first thing I did when I unboxed them was take a deep sniff!   I'm hesitant to ever take them in a smoky bar, but they'll be easily wiped down to clean them as opposed to carpet covered boxes. I have those too and they absorb tobacco odor like a sponge. Not impressive in a non smoking environment. You know also when you look at a quality made box, and I assure you, these look fantastic and feel very solid. Size wise, they're as listed on Yorkvilles website, and weigh in at 118 pounds. Not an overwhelming size at all, but I would not try to manhandle them on my own if they need lifting. They are a very manageable size however. I am going to enlist help loading them in a van, although they have a handle centered in the top rear of the cabinet, and one on each side near the bottom. Makes them easy to handle with two persons if you are lifting them. My son and I can easily do that. Casters are mounted on the back rear, under the cabinet, on the angled portion of the horn and it just takes a little pull to tip them up on the back wheels and you're go. VERY nice feature. You're on your way in or out of a venue with that capability. Very smooth rolling and I would imagine I'll lube the casters at some point with a bit of lubricant. Ball bearings can get dusty you know. I'll probably blast them out with a can of compressed air first every so often. These do not have any type of corner protectors, so I'll be handling with care, or I'll search some very high quality ones to put on them. Maybe. As I mentioned, they look very good as is. I will also consider purchasing some type of pads for them should I want to lay them down and/or stack them on their sides at some events. There is a photo Evan posted of a stack of three in one of his posts. Really great looking setup. Both cabs came in Yorkville labeled boxes (Toronto made) and were wrapped in sealed clear plastic. Opening the plastic gave you that Tim Allen experience, "arrrrghhhhhooooowww yeah"! Each had a tag nylon tied to the front metal grilles with the impressive Yorkville logo and a "2 and 10" year warranty statement. Two years, even if you mess them up, and Yorkville will replace them. (wow, just....wow) The 10 year warranty covers the cabinet. Now I own EAW also and EAW to me, is one of the finest speaker cabinets out there. Rock solid and last a very long time. These are built similar, but the finish is a bit different. I think much more attractive. My opinion mind you, but you'll see if/when you get some. Alot of things can happen to a cabinet in 10 years time, and Yorkville stands by their manufacturing. Properly handled, they should last quite some time.  I'm sold. Hopefully, I'll never have to have the warranty honored. On the cabinet back are two speakon inputs, and a speaker selector switch - honestly don't know yet what thats for as there is no manual, but think it may have something to do with the speakon pinout  if you're wanting to go from 1+ to 2+, you get the idea. They're a 1000 watt 8 ohm box. Yorkville reps confirmed I could push them at 1200, however, anyone can smoke a driver. I'll be testing them at 1300w with a bridged Peavey GPS2600. Ultimately, I'll have XTI4000s driving them, both for the power, light weight and processing ability. Used, I've seen them at very reasonable prices. Now these cabinets also are horn loaded Rodney. The photos I viewed online did not define the opening, but much like other horns, the mouth is at the lower half of the cabinet. Driver is accessed through a panel on the cabinet back. Metal grills are tough, good looking and have a nice arc to them as opposed to a flat look. I will be ordering covers for them from Cloud Nine tomorrow. Cost for those, shipped to Indy, is a little over $200 for both. Well worth it to protect the investment and keep it looking new and professional, don't you think? I'll also order two more cabinets and covers at a later date. I wanted to buy them earlier than I did but placed my order near the end of January due to them being sold out everywhere (that tell you anything?) and Yorkville informed everyone that they would do a run of the cabs in mid February. They started these on Feb 9 and I had them within 2.5 weeks. Worth the wait although waiting was like being an impatient kid again. I'm always like that with new gear. I'm passionate about sound. I personally feel that these have a very pro look and feel to them, certainly will be impressive to potential clients as well as when I perform and as expected, they should rock thoroughly. I might add that I dealt with Mike Pyle of Audiopyle here on PSW to get them. He was very helpful and the deal went smooth as butter. Kudos Mike. I'll be working with him again soon. SO, I hope I have your mouth watering a bit, but it isn't me, it's the sub for sure. I did alot of research on these, which I typically do before I buy something,  and I'm confident this was a very smart purchase which will serve me well for many years. I'll be able to share more about their performance a bit later.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 20 queries.