ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico SD7  (Read 15265 times)

Adam Robinson

Re: Digico SD7
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »

I haven't heard of any in Florida, but I'll be sure to let you know if I hear of someone coming through with one.

It'll be a few before I know whether you can have a copy of a channel in a channel bank.  Of course, the copy in the master bank does exactly what you're talking about (on the D1 and D5 too!)

Adam Robinson

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 10:34:03 PM »

David

Word back from the guys at Digico is yes, you can have copied channels within channel banks.

-Adam

David Sumrall

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:43 AM »

sweet! thanks dude!
David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Southlake Texas
Gatewaypeople.com

Karl P(eterson)

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 01:21:54 AM »

David,
If you have been keeping track I am on a D1 now.

I am doing just this where I am using multiple pages of my master section as user defined layers where I am mixing and matching fader controls from the input sections, with DCAS, and mute groups all lumped together. While you don't get the whole channel strip you do get the fader control and mute control, which seems to be enough in practice.

I am so far quite happy with my decision to go Digico.

PM/Call me if you want to talk.

Karl P
TeamLeader.Technical Systems - CCH

David Sumrall

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 11:01:12 AM »

Hey Karl,

Thanks for the info.

Glad your D1 is working out well.

I am really liking the sound of the flexibility.

Which is one of the HUGE factors looking at the SD7 along with the ability to have large numbers or ins and outs and multiple ops etc.

I think we pretty much narrowed down to the SD7 or the Xl8 for here.

So I am doing a little bit of digging on what the SD7 can do in looking at all the similarities and differences between the two systems.

I also like the touch screens and a more even split surface, better use of surface space in general, multiband comps and dynamic eq.

I might holler at ya if I think of somethin else.

THANKS!

David

David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Southlake Texas
Gatewaypeople.com

Adam Robinson

Re: Digico SD7 with SD8 comparison
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2009, 12:48:04 PM »

I wanted to take a moment to update my SD7 review.  I just got done doing a rather large hometown show for one of the bands I've been working with this year and I had the opportunity to bring out an SD7 for the event.  This is the first time I had been on the 7 since Digico released the Mach 2 software for the console.  

Since the last time I used the SD7, the FX engine has been completed.  Now you have 48 Stereo FX slots with a complete FX package - all the programs you'd expect in any processor.  FX can be placed on outputs as is traditional, but you can also place an FX unit on a channel's direct output.  I used this to add a slight chorus to an acoustic guitar without having to add/change an aux send to do so.  

The graphic EQ section has been expanded to include 32 GEQs that can be inserted anywhere.  You also have the ability to gang GEQs together.  Unlike traditional pairing which allows you to have two units with the exact same settings, ganging allows you to make relative changes across multiple EQs.  If the original states of the various GEQs are flat, then this feature will act like traditional pairing.  If they're different, ganging will allow you to use one handle to change multiple EQs by the same amount.  

They've gotten a bit more advanced on channel layout.  Digico consoles have always had a very flexible channel structure, but on the SD7 it goes further - you can put any input or output anywhere on the console.  If you're bussing drums to a group to be compressed, you can put the group output right next to your drum inputs.  The group settings show up in the channel strip and the fader adjusts the output level.  

All inputs and outputs now feature Digi Tube preamp tube emulation with knobs that adjust drive and bias.  A little picture of a tube shows up in the channel's meter strip when this is activated.  I wish I had gotten into this feature a bit more, but only having one show with the console, I was concentrating on a few other things.

I got a bit deeper into snapshots on this show than I had in the past.  The Digico snapshot system allows you to scope down to individual controls on individual channels.  I had snapshots changing aux send levels to FX for certain songs, another couple changing the type of effect on that aux send, and another just changing  reverb times.  You can even have snapshots make changes relative to a starting point.  I used a couple of these to clamp down compressors for our two acoustic songs relative to where those compressors were sitting throughout the show.

Everything else remains just as amazing with this desk:  it lights up like a carnival, the LCD screen meter bridge is one of the coolest in the industry, it has a solid feel, and of course sounds amazing.  What amazes me even more, is after coming off tour with the SD8, I feel even more strongly about how good that particular console sounds when compared to the 7.  The SD8 really is just an SD7 without all the bells and whistles (and a lesser input and output count, of course).  When you consider all the features and quality you get on the SD8 and then look at the price, it is my opinion that the SD8 is one of the best consoles in its marketplace.  

Finally a thank you to Chicago's Tantra Sound for providing a rockin' Alpha rig for this event - it helped make this show a blast to mix!

index.php/fa/24657/0/

[edited: spelling and grammar updates]
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 19 queries.