ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Digico SD7  (Read 12263 times)

Adam Robinson

Digico SD7
« on: January 19, 2009, 01:54:32 am »

I just did another couple gigs on a Digico SD7 after the newest software update and had two absolutely amazing shows.  Clearly, I've been a Digico fan for quite a while, but the SD7 takes it to a new level.  I was most excited for the multi-band compressor and dynamic EQ additions (available on all 200+ channels) - both of which I found useful in many different capacities.  I was surprised by the addition of the macro editor, and quickly got to writing a handful of macros that I usually use on the D1 and D5.  (For those of you unfamiliar, a macro will basically allow you to perform any function by pressing a "shortcut" key - I use them to trigger certain FX, change pre/post states, etc)

The SD7 is ridiculously capable.  It will run up to 256 channels, over 100 busses, and has the capability to run at 192kHz.  It sounds great, as I would expect from any Digico product.  Faders and knobs are extremely smooth.  The console lights up like a carnival, and as I've used the console more and more, the colors under knobs and buttons have become familiar and they have aided my finding of certain functions without really realizing it.  The metering is extremely detailed, as all three meter bridges are LCD screens.  When you add a gate to a channel, the gate status meter shows up next to the input signal... same for when you engage a compressor.  

What has always drawn me to the Digico consoles has been the human-interface aspect.  Screens are set up like a typical analog channel strip with buttons and knobs below the console's multiple touchscreens serving to adjust the various channel strip outputs and other variables.  There aren't a bunch of menus to get lost in, as most things you need to get to are right on the screen in front of you.  Tap an EQ to expand that section...  Tap the compressor section to view its variables...  Channels can be configured in any order, and I tend to configure my banks of channels in a way that keeps the things I'll touch the most on the top layer allowing me to mix a show without bank switching as often.  

Digico continues its commitment to the top end of the Digital console market.  The SD7 clearly stands out in the industry and sits up on a level with the Midas XL8 and Studer Vista SR5, two other top notch consoles.  I haven't mixed any shows on an SD8 yet, but drawing on my experiences with other consoles and with the new SD software, I think the section of the market it's positioned in will have a contender to deal with as the SD8 makes it out there.

Before you allow yourself to have a negative view on their products (along with any product in our industry), make sure you've mixed on one a couple times.  I've toured extensively with the D-series consoles bringing them into venues from tiny clubs to arenas.  In those travels, I've found that most of the people who had negative impressions of the console had never mixed a show on one and were just rehashing old stories that have become less and less true in the giant game of "telephone" that gets played as we pass such things along.  

A special shout out to longtime friend, Long Island's SK Systems, for not only providing a great console but a spectacular sounding Vertec rig and making two shows go extremely well.

Adam Robinson

Re: Digico SD7
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 02:21:41 am »

index.php/fa/20489/0/

Adam Robinson

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 02:25:22 am »

index.php/fa/20490/0/

Adam Robinson

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:28:12 am »

index.php/fa/20491/0/

Paul E Fenelon

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 07:33:49 am »

Adam Robinson wrote on Sat, 24 January 2009 18:21

index.php/fa/20489/0/

Hi Adam

Very Cool. Gotta say I have only used the Yammie desks so far and look forward to using the Digico & Digidesign when opportunity arises.

Can you tell me what is in the racks next to the desk.

Cheers
Paul
ADR Audio - KV2

East Coast Touring Services
Australia, since 1992

www.adraudio.com.au

Bryan Farina

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 05:04:53 pm »

That looks like the Mohegan Sun.

Adam Robinson

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:11:27 pm »

Paul -

Most of the stuff next to the desk was house gear that I didn't use.  The top rack is a D2, 2290, 3 SPX990s, PCM91, and M5000.  The rack below contains a bunch of DBX 166XLs and Drawmer Quad Gates.  The only thing I used from the house here was the M5000.  To the left of all that is a Klark Teknik EQ remote above a rack of DN3600 EQs.

My FOH rack (closer to the console) has a Lake Mesa, PRAM, CD Player, and TC FireworX.

Bryan -

You're right.  That one pic was from a weekend of shows I do annually at Mohegan Sun.  

David Sumrall

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2009, 09:54:29 pm »

Hey Adam,

Got a quick question for you on the SD7.

Basically it has to do with the flexibility of what can go on the faders, where, and how those can interact.

It looks like faders can be inputs, outputs, groups, control groups.

Can inputs be double assigned?? Not just double patched or a copy.

Can two faders anywhere on the desk be the same input and the channel strip controlling the exact info? Not where they fight each other but they are the same thing just in two locations.

Here's the application..

Lets say you have all your inputs set up in your banks and layers.

Then you decide that you want some of these to be your star inputs. And some guys may want different things as the star stuff.

Then this star stuff could be assigned to the top layer on the center section. So it could be there if you wanted as you grab other things on the outside faders on different layers.

I understand that the star stuff could be assigned to just that top row.

But if it was on both then you have the best of both worlds.

For example lets say right side of desk bank 1 is body packs, bank two is handhelds, bank three is playback.

Then left side is bank one is drums, bank two guitars, band 3 keys etc, bank 4 is horns etc.

Could some special star things from those banks be put on those 12 top faders in the middle with dual control being in the banks too?? say vocal 1, body pack 1, cd, piano, etc.

That way the stars are always on top, and things are still in there normal place on the desk should your star preferences change.

The application is a large church setting with lots of inputs, and it is helpful to be able to keep things normal but with some flex.

Let me know if that makes sense and please feel free to ask some questions back.

Other SD7 users feel free to chime in as well.

THANKS!

David

David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Southlake Texas
Gatewaypeople.com

Adam Robinson

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2009, 10:35:10 pm »

David

I've used this trick many times on the D1 and the D5.  With the SD7 you can do it too, adding any channel into your master bank section.  When in the master bank, you don't get a channel strip for it on the master screen, but you've got (copied) fader control.  A new thing to the SD7 over the D1/D5 is that you can assign anything you want (input or output) to the two large "master" faders in the center section.  I've used it for lead vocals.  

I don't know about having a duplicate (always copied) channel in the channel bank section, and am not near a console to try it out.  I'll ask a friend to chime in though

David Sumrall

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2009, 10:51:08 pm »

Thanks adam!

yeah the copied fader thing sounds cool, so that the fader control could be in two places but detail control on channel stuff is in the channel section.

That would be sweet if it works!

Let me know what ya find out with a desk in hand.

You know of any of these in Florida yet?

Thanks for the help!!

David

David Sumrall
Audio Engineer
Gateway Church
Southlake Texas
Gatewaypeople.com
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 19 queries.